Chapter 9


TL: Akabane


***


"So you helped my daughter? Thank you. As a thank you, I'll give you a koala strap that I bought on a business trip to Australia ten years ago. --May I? It's very valuable. Why? Hmmm. Good question. Actually, this was only available for a limited time. You can't even get it now, and it's extremely valuable. ...... Maybe if you wear this strap, collectors will try to kill you. Hahaha ......"


"Hey dad. Don't give Yanagi something weird. You're showing your stupidity."


"Hmmm, my daughter. It is against my humanity to not say thanks to the benefactor who saved you!"


I found Kujo soaking wet in the park, then we took a bath together, then I sent her home, but she wanted to thank me and let me come up to her house, and now I'm being tangled up with Kujo's father, who just happened to be home.


Too many things have happened in one day, and I've been living an unchanged life, but I'm not sure how I'm going to manage.


"Well, Yanagi, was it? Welcome to my home."


"Oh, welcome ......."


In a manner of speaking, it looks like I'm welcomed.


The house of Kujo is a rich man, and all the things he keeps in his house are ornaments that look like they could be found in an expensive hotel.


"Ah, Yanagi. Dad, I don't like it when other people touch the ornaments and other things around me, so don't touch them too much."


"......I understand."


He say not too much, but what he definitely mean is don't touch them.


I want Kujo's father to like me.


Living room. Probably made to sit on chairs to eat dinner with the family.


The family of Kujo is sitting on the two chairs facing us. In contrast, I am alone. It's like a reverse version of a three-way meeting.


"So, what is your relationship with my daughter?"


"I like Kujo."


"Oh-ho? Do you mean the whole Kujo family?"


"Dad, don't be mean to Yanagi."


"Daughter. Don't you think that you want to be called by first name by the man who has told you that he likes you?"


Kujo's father's words caused Mr. Kujo, who had been taking my side, to shush.


The two of them are waiting for my words.


Damn ....... It's too embarrassing to have to call her by her first name, which I've never called her, in this situation.


"Rinka, I love you!


""............""


Oh, that? 


Why do you guys keep silent?


"Hahaha! Daughter. How do you feel now?"


"Dad made him say it, so I don't think anything of it."


"Eh. But it's a first name, right? It's a first name that usually only your fathers who call you like that, right?"


"That's why I'm saying there's a difference in value between saying it yourself and having someone else say it for you."


"Gahhhh......."


"Don't use such stupid words in front of Yanagi. ...... I'm telling you that he is a stupid uncle, but you'll think he's even more of a stupid uncle."


I don't think he looks like a stupid uncle, but more like a parentally stupid uncle.


"I'm sorry, Yanagi. I'm such a stupid father."


"Oh, don't apologize. ...... I think Rinka's father is a good man."


"Daughter! Now Yanagi just called you by your first name himself!"


Rinka's father pointed at me like a child.


In response, Rinka bent her face to the side.


"Even without dad telling me, I heard it with my own ears, okay?"


"Gah. It's true, I guess so, but aren't you happy ......! A man who likes my daughter called her by her first name!"


"Well, of course I'm happy, right?"


The response was not entirely satisfactory, and I and Rinka's father were at a loss as to how to react.


I am happy to be called by my first name. And if she doesn't dislike it, could it be that Rinka likes me?


If so, I couldn't be happier.


"Yo, okay! Well then, Yanagi. I'll show you a nice room from now on. It's a great space for you ...... girl lover, right?"


That's what Rinka's father told me, and brought me to a room about the size of my living room.


There were shelves placed to hide the walls, and inside the shelves was a small room.


"How about. These pictures of my daughter were taken by me, you know."


"...... Amazing."


The words escaped my mouth.


Around them were pictures of Rinka in her newborn form, Rinka in elementary school, and Rinka in middle school.


The photos are all from a distance that could only be taken by a family member.


"Pfft.......... Yanagi. Look at this."


"So, is that baby clothes?"


"Oh, yes. You know who these baby clothes belong to, don't you? You don't have to ask, do you?


"What? You don't think it's Rinka's?"


"Yes! This is the one my daughter wore when she was one year old ......"


"Dad. Yanagi."


Rinka intervened between me and Rinka's father.


She's looking at us with a mousy look on her face.


"Stop it."


"Daughter. This is because I'm thinking of Yanagi, who says he loves my daughter. ......"


"Stop it when I say stop it."


The two of us were kicked out of the room by a shuffling Rinka.


I wonder what it would be like if I were under Rinka's shoes and she did that to me. ......


I'm confident I would say the same thing.


"Yanagi. I think I may have gone too far indeed."


Rinka's father, sitting in front of me, spoke to me as he let out a sigh, as if the excitement he had just experienced was a lie.


I went a little overboard too.


"I'm sorry. I got carried away as well. ......"


"Hmmm. Then as an adult, I can tell you that. Which is ....... Before my daughter comes over here, is it okay if I say something to Yanagi?"


"Oh, yes."


What you want to say ......?


I have a bad feeling about being told something by the father of someone I like.


"Please take care of Rinka."


Despite my thoughts, Rinka's father bowed his head so low that I thought he was going to rub his forehead against the desk. 


"You don't have to do that. ......"


"I know. That you probably intend to do that without me having to say anything. But still, let me bow one head here as Rinka's parent."


"What?"


"I've learned from talking to you for a while that you are a good person. You're too good for clumsy Rinka. --I'm counting on you."


"Yes, of course."


We were talking seriously, but I looked at the clock and realized it was almost time for my parents to come home.


I wanted to stay here longer, but it would be troublesome if my ...... parents suspected something.


"Well, we're breaking up for the day. Let's talk about all the things we like about my daughter some other time."


"Well, I'm sorry to bother you. I still can't see her, but please tell ...... Rinka that I'll see her at school."


"Mm. See you then."


At first I wondered what was going to happen, but it was a great day to see Rinka in a way I had never seen her before and to get to know her father.


While it was getting dark.


I hummed and hawed as I walked home, reflecting on the day.





   





"He doesn't seem to know that this back account is actually me. ...... Good. Then, next."



PREV | NEXT