Chapter 45

February. The cold intensified, truly reaching the peak of winter. However, that didn't mean a break from work. Today, like any other day, I went to the office, had meetings with familiar colleagues, and various other tasks.

"A visitor...?"

In the moments before lunch break, pondering such things, I was summoned by the department head. Well, it was more like a beckoning to my desk. I looked down at the seated department head, but he remained silent, leaning back on his chair.

"Yes, from 1:00."

"Who's coming?"

"Just the usual advertising agency representative."

Upon hearing those words, I understood. It was a mere business activity. But the fact that he informed me meant there was more to it.

"Do you want me to handle it?"

"You catch on quickly."

"I understand."

Firstly, this person is more straightforward than I am. During meetings, he wears a face that seems to be thinking about nothing, a type that genuinely doesn't seem to ponder anything.

I don't know how he became the department head, but when it comes to it, he seems ready to take action. Always ready to go full throttle. I wish he'd work a bit more, then he'd be perfect.

"Actually, I want to join too. But it clashes with the department head meeting."

"Huh, is it an interesting discussion?"

"They're suggesting we do a commercial for our company."

A commercial. I wonder what a stationery manufacturer would advertise, but there are plenty of selling points like safety, functionality, etc.

While it's something that needs to be communicated to users, the consumers, it's also crucial information for wholesaling to retail stores. In other words, if we don't make it known that our products are consistently selling well, retail stores eager to avoid excess inventory will hesitate.

However, when I think about it, our company has never produced a commercial.

Certainly, it would require a significant budget, but thanks to the successful exhibition, the higher-ups seem to be in a very good mood. In fact, from a revenue perspective, we're on a quite positive trajectory. In that sense, it's not an entirely impossible story.

"Can I handle such a conversation?"

"What are you talking about? You're already an experienced member. I trust you."

"Department head..."

"If it's a good deal, you can listen to the details later. It's not an urgent matter."

Perhaps, this is the kind of person he is. The reason he has climbed the corporate ladder. He is highly trusted by those around him, and he has a lot of popularity. He's often approached by employees from other departments. If only he worked a bit more, he'd be perfect.

"And also, have Fujihara sit in. It'll be a good experience for him."

"Understood."

Fujihara, the youngest in the department. He is set to transfer to sales next spring. I've been suggesting this for a long time, so it's finally happening. Although the person himself seems to feel a sense of loneliness leaving this department where he has worked since joining the company.

However, it's not often that you get a chance to listen to other companies' sales talks. As the department head said, it should be a good experience.

As the conversation ended, lunch break began. I informed Fujihara about it, and I returned to my seat. If it's from 1:00, there's not much time to relax. I want to finish preparations at least 10 minutes in advance.

"Araki, you have a meeting in the afternoon, right?"

As I pondered what to have for lunch, Yamazaki from the same department approached me. Her hair had grown compared to the exhibition meeting, giving off a more composed impression.

"Yes, I'm considering lunch."

"In that case, do you know there's a food truck right near the company?"

"A food truck?"

I don't usually pay much attention to the scenery, but now that he mentioned it, I vaguely recall seeing one. Mobile vendors are often associated with OLs gathering during lunch breaks, so I've been avoiding them.

"Oh, I think I've seen something like that."

"Actually, I reserved two bento boxes yesterday."

"Oh, really?"

"Mana-chan took a sick day today, right? So, I have one extra. How about it?"

Mana-chan is a female employee in the same department as us. I don't interact with her much, but she and Yamazaki are the same age. I have the impression that the two of them often have lunch together. I'll keep quiet about not realizing she was on leave today.

Setting that aside, Yamazaki's proposal is not bad. It's just enough, and for me, who has little time, it's an excellent suggestion to reduce waiting time and eat leisurely. Looking at the clock, it's 12:10. If I pick up the bento and return by 12:20, I can take a break.

"Is it okay? That would be helpful."

"Great. I'll pick it up, so wait a bit."

"Oh no, I'll come with you."

It's a bit much to just wait. I should at least treat her to a drink from the vending machine. Of course, I'll cover the cost of the bento. If I don't say anything, Yamazaki will probably treat me. That's the kind of person she is.

I stand up and stand in front of the elevator. It seems a bit later than the time when employees leave, as there's no one else besides Yamazaki and me.

"You seem to be enjoying yourself lately, Araki."

While entering the elevator, she said that. I pondered how to respond until the door closed, pressing the first-floor button.

"Is that so?"

"Don't you realize it?"

"Well ... it's not exactly like that."

"You're not being honest."

After being told that, the expression of Yamamoto comes to mind. That day. The sky that was cloudy and then cleared up. We haven't met since then.

But it's not necessarily negative. She has become busy, and I didn't want to disturb her. So we only exchange a few messages. Even so, my heart leaps. I really want to hear her voice, but for now, I convince myself that this distance is important for both of us.

"Yamazaki, are you not cutting your hair anymore?"

"Yeah, my husband kept telling me to let it grow."

"Haha. He's a good husband."

"Do you think so?"

"Yeah."

The reason her husband says that is because he sees her as a woman. They become a father and mother after becoming a couple. It's a common story that two people who used to see each other as a man and a woman gradually stop seeing each other in that way.

We get off the elevator and leave the building. Clear sky. The February wind is colder than that day. At least it's bearable as long as the sun is still out.

The food truck is indeed right near our workplace. It's an office district, but on the first floor, there are many eateries, and even from here, I can recognize dozens of them.

From stylish cafes to regular diners, a wide variety. Surely, there's a certain level of guaranteed customers here. Even if the rent and land prices must be insane.

So, I never have trouble deciding on lunch, but I always walk to that coffee shop. It's because I feel less mentally exhausted than entering an unknown place. It might be a conservative mindset.

"It's crowded, huh? Reserving was the right decision."

"Yes, indeed."

From my perspective, it's a stroke of luck. It reduces the waiting time, allowing me to eat slowly. Looking at the clock, it's 12:10. If I pick up the bento and return by 12:20, I might be able to take a short break.

Yes, everything is going smoothly. I'm also looking forward to the commercial meeting. What kind of conversation will unfold? Perhaps it could be an opportunity for our company to become more mainstream.

"Why are you grinning?"

"Oh, it's just a nostalgic smile."

"Hahaha, you're strange."

But at that moment, I had no idea what awaited me in the meeting 50 minutes later – that it would turn into an unimaginable ordeal.