Chapter 75: Nobleman

"Well then, I'll take charge of the sword at your waist. If you have anything else, bring it here."

The guard spoke with a soft yet firm tone. Zeigt signaled with his eyes to comply. Reluctantly, I placed the knives on both shoulders, the blowgun tube, and other items into a basket. The guard wore an astonished expression. When Zeigt said something to the guards, one of them ran off.

I had just arrived in Cambium with Zeigt, returning from reporting. I was brought to the Royal Castle without even having time to unpack at the inn. Thanks to the Count providing a military ship for our return, we bypassed the large tunnel, minimizing fatigue. Nevertheless, things were quite hectic.

Before leaving, I gave money to Gina, asking her to buy clothes for Tiana. They were probably out shopping by now. Undoubtedly, that would be more enjoyable. Wondering why I was dragged here, I walked through the long corridor, receiving nods from some but passing without any issues when Zeigt vouched for me. The significance of being a Holy Knight struck me again.

While Zeigt and I had a long history, I struggled to understand why he continued to be friends with me. Frankly, I was nothing special. I didn't think our friendship would bring anything positive to Zeigt, considering his position.

Entering a room through one of the doors, it contained several large tables and chairs. Another entrance was on the left-hand wall. Soft light entered from the windows on the far wall. It was probably a meeting room for discussions, as maps of the kingdom and its surroundings adorned the walls. I pulled a nearby chair and sat reversed, resting my arms on the back.

"So, why bring me to a room like this? In the first place, reporting is your job alone."

"Announcing entry to the Royal Castle would make for an interesting story. It's not often you get to come here."

"I don't particularly want to come here. And they bring me to a room like this. Are we considering an invasion plan against the Luft Alliance?"

The Luft Alliance was a trade alliance of cities located to the east of the kingdom. It operated under an oligarchic system led by major merchants, with no king. Their flourishing economy, especially through trade with neighboring countries like Maroon, surpassed that of the kingdom.

The influential merchants who controlled the Luft Alliance were greedy, always scheming to take over the kingdom. With threats from the Dragon King to the west, barbarians, Marburg to the south, and the Luft Alliance to the east, ruling the kingdom was no easy task for the current king, despite being praised as wise. At least, that's what I gathered.

"We might have no choice but to consider it someday."

"It's hard to react seriously when you return my joke with seriousness."

"While there's still no confirmation, regarding this matter..."

Zeigt spoke up to that point when another door, separate from the one we entered, swung open forcefully.

"Good job, Zeigt. Were you able to catch the mastermind?"

I was in the midst of balancing on the chair when I heard the man's voice and nearly fell. More precisely, what was on the man's head was the issue. It was a small formal crown, and there were only a few people in this country who wore such a thing.

I jumped up with a loud noise, attempting to stand upright. Though he briefly glanced at me, King Candeil IV was busy listening to Zeigt's report. I sent Zeigt a piercing gaze. This guy ... what the hell were you thinking? You could have at least given me a heads up. Never did I expect the King himself to show up.

I thought the commander of some major knight order or one of the ministers might appear. After hearing the report, the King finished listening and turned to me.

"It seems we didn't discuss this beforehand."

"Hmph. I thought it might be more surprising this way."

"It's an informal setting. Don't be so reserved. Make yourself comfortable."

Even if he said that, I had no idea how to behave. I hoped to avoid being punished for disrespect. I remained standing with a stiff posture.

"Hmm. Your friend here. He's not as lazy as I've heard."

The King's words carried a somewhat amused tone.

"He's my dearest friend, Your Majesty. In this matter, I believe things wouldn't have gone so well without Harris's cooperation."

"I see. Harris, was it? Remarkable deeds you've done."

"Uh, well, I just did what I could."

As I uttered a half-reversed voice, Zeigt came over, laughing, and lightly slapped my cheek with his palm.

"Act normal. There are only three of us here."

I managed to speak from the corner of my mouth.

"Even so, it's the King. Should've given me a heads up. I might get punished for disrespect or something."

Zeigt shrugged his shoulders.

"Your Majesty. I have a favor to ask."

"What is it?"

"This man keeps a slave and cares for her deeply. If he wishes to free her and marry her, could you grant him special permission as a reward?"

"Hey, hey. What the hell are you..."

"Zeigt. Certainly, your merits in this matter are commendable. However, the situation doesn't permit forgiveness so easily. Of course, a reward must be given, but ... Harris, what else do you desire?"

I took a deep breath.

"I ask for your understanding. If you could record my modest achievements in the merit book, I would be grateful."

Zeigt was surprised, and King Candeil IV raised an eyebrow.

"Then, at a later date, until I can be of special service again and receive your special permission, please keep the reward in mind."

"I cannot promise to grant permission."

"That's fine."

"However, Zeigt, unless you influenced him, who did he ask about the merit book? It hasn't been used in a long time, and there should be few who know about it."

Before I could reply, the King nodded in realization and gave a somewhat bitter smile.

"I see. Well then, I understand. I'll do what you want. So, won't you resent me?"