Chapter 76: Fortune Teller

"No, that's not true. I've been strictly admonished. I must never harbor ill will against His Majesty at any time. It's a favor from a benefactor."

I nodded slightly.

"I see..."

The King wore a nostalgic expression. The King and I should be thinking of the same person.

My reminiscence was interrupted by the King's voice.

"Harris, I will grant your wish. I'll instruct to record your recent achievements in the merit book."

While I bowed my head, King Candeil IV entered and left through the same door as before. Just before it closed, his voice could be heard.

"Summon the secretary..."

I turned and opened the door, walking towards the exit of the castle. Zeigt followed.

"Hey, are you angry?"

"Not really."

"Come on, you're definitely mad. When you say that line, it's a sign you're angry. You're not against His Majesty, are you?"

I stopped and turned to Zeigt.

"I mean no harm. I used to think you were a damn b*stard."

"I can't deny that, even now."

"I may not completely disagree, but I won't do anything reckless. Changing the past won't help, even if I did something stupid."

"What are you talking about?"

"It's an old story. If you want to know what happened, ask His Majesty. You might have the chance in your position. Don't worry, I'll go home quietly. If it causes a disturbance, it'll trouble Tiana and everyone. So, why did you bother bringing me here? Are you enjoying teasing me? It's bad for the heart. This time, you've gone too far."

Zeigt looked troubled.

"I'm not teasing you. I didn't know you had a history with His Majesty. I just wanted to bring you into the spotlight."

"It's quite annoying."

I questioned the Holy Knight, and either surprised or curious onlookers in the corridor stared at us. I headed towards the exit again. Zeigt walked alongside.

"How far are you following me?"

"I'm just heading home."

"I see. Well then."

I turned onto a narrow path. After that, I wandered around haphazardly.

After confirming that Zeigt wasn't following, I slowed my pace. Before I knew it, I found myself on the way to the entertainment district. Lights were beginning to twinkle on the road as dusk approached. Upon reflection, I couldn't remember why I was angry with Zeigt. I felt the swelling on my cheek. Damn it. That guy really hit me seriously.

As I touched my cheek, a voice called out.

"Hey, sir."

Looking around, I saw an old woman sitting in a recess between houses.

"It seems my fortune-telling about a woman's trouble has come true."

Memories came flooding back. It was the day I bought Tiana, and I was approached while wandering.

"You remember it well."

The old woman grinned.

"Of course, because I read faces."

"Your memory is impressive, but don't make up random things about the fortune coming true."

"You're a rude one."

"Is that so? A man heading to the entertainment district with relationship troubles is likely to be true."

The old woman snorted.

"Mock me all you want. Do as you please. I thought I'd tell you something important, but forget it."

"Oh, something important?"

"Sir, you must have a daughter you care about. A lovely, well-mannered daughter."

Well, that's obvious. Most men hold an idealized image in their hearts. If you're in love, anyone looks good. When I remained silent, the old woman continued.

"However, there's an obstacle to marrying that daughter. There's nothing you can do about it with your own strength."

Claiming to foresee the future is presumptuous. I recalled the words of my grandfather, long forgotten but resonating with a thoughtful voice. I took out a copper coin and placed it on the stand in front of the old woman.

"What happens then?"

Will she say something comforting, suggest a talisman or charm for success, or maybe something else?

The old woman scrutinized my face and then averted her gaze.

"If I've received payment, I must honestly tell you. It's difficult to say, but your name and that girl's name won't be blessed at the altar. And, you, sir, have a sign of impending danger. You may die within a year. It's a pity."

The words Zeigt spoke earlier echoed in my mind. Being told multiple times a day that I'll die isn't pleasant.

"What did you say?"

"Sorrow lies in one's destiny. Ensure you have no regrets."

I took a deep breath and smirked.

"Old woman, do you always have your shop around here?"

"Yes, I do."

"Do your best to live a long life. I'll come back next year to have a good laugh."

I turned my back on the old woman and walked towards the inn. On the way, in the bustling street, a crowd had gathered.

"What did you say? Say it again, and I'll cut your tongue off."

I pushed through the crowd, recognizing a familiar voice. Gina, Eilia, a well-built, red-faced man, and his entourage were glaring at each other.