Chapter 73: Standing Conversation

I stared at Tiana's face. She looked visibly angry.

"Why don't you get angry when someone is mean to you, but you do when it's happen to your Master?"

"I'm fine with it. But not when it's about my Master."

"I don't get it."

Tiana muttered something under her breath.

"Anyway, the street is cold. Let's go back to the inn for now."

As I took Tiana's hand and started leading her, she seemed to snap out of it, wearing an embarrassed expression. Somehow, I no longer cared if Tiana was putting on an act with her recent behavior, a suspicion I had since the other day. Her small hand was a bit cold, I should buy her gloves.

Tiana mentioned wanting to stop by the stable. After spending a bit of time with Nix, who was there, we peeked into the corner of the tavern where Gina seemed bored, pouring herself a drink.

"Sister."

When Tiana called out, Gina smiled.

"What are you doing alone? What about Comba?"

Gina played with her glass.

"When Zeigt returned, he asked me to give him a lesson, and we went out together. So, I'm just killing time. Oh, by the way, there's a message for you. The Count is calling for you."

Naturally, my expression turned grim.

"What's with that face? You don't need to look so unhappy. Well, I delivered the message properly. You might want to go as soon as possible. Important people don't like to be kept waiting."

"I'm tired, but there's no helping it. Can you take care of Tiana for me?"

"Sure. It's been a while, so maybe we should study some writing."

"Yes, please."

Tiana took a wax tablet from her belongings and sat at the table.

As I was about to leave, I noticed Tiana trying to stand up hastily when I stopped her with my hand.

"I'm just going to talk for a bit. There's nothing to worry about."

I waved to both of them and headed towards the Count's residence. It wasn't too far from the inn. The Count's mansion was a castle surrounded by a moat.

As I crossed the bridge over the moat, a sturdy figure emerged from the gatehouse. It was Stella. After exchanging greetings and thanking her for taking care of Tiana, I asked about her well-being.

"Oh, don't worry about it. I appreciated the help. By the way, Harris, just a piece of advice, but you might want to moderate your drinking a bit. It's nice to have a customer who drinks a lot, but the other day, you went a bit overboard."

"Is that so?"

Well, the portion of the food was quite generous that time. I might have ended up drinking too much to match. It was Zeigt's treat, after all. Normally, I don't drink that much ... or maybe I do. Let's just give a straightforward answer.

"I'll be more careful. I'm sorry for causing you trouble while you're busy."

"My husband also drank himself to an early grave. Oh, right. Harris, we were asked to provide a meal for the miners you helped. It would be helpful if Tiana-chan could assist, but it might be better not to take her along."

Well, it would be like throwing a lamb into a pack of wolves. She might get dragged into something while I'm lost in thought.

"I agree."

"Take good care of her. Don't do anything that would betray her trust. Oh, by the way, that scarf I'm wearing now is really nice. For some reason, I haven't had a headache in the past few years since I started wearing it. I'd like to thank her directly, so bring her to the shop again sometime."

After saying that, she patted my shoulder with force and walked away in a hurry. It was a hefty impact. If Alice mentioned killing five thugs in an instant, it would make sense. It seemed like my guildmaster's impression had overlapped with her. Hmm? Speaking of which, I had been curious for a while, but how did she know that I helped with the zeonite mining?

It was a job I took without going through the guild, so I paid the commission, but I only reported it as assisting in the exploration of an abandoned mine. Recalling my memories, the one who stayed until the end at that gathering was ... that bastard Dennis. Did he tattle when I was drunk? Damn it.

Shaking off those thoughts, I informed the guard with a halberd of my purpose. I was allowed through easily, not asked to surrender my sword. It seemed like a lax security, but while following the man who came to guide me, I pondered. It was natural for him to be called Miguel. He led me not to the main building but to a separate stone building with an unusual shape.

After opening a solid door, left and right hallways spread out, and from the left, I could hear the sound of metal clashing. Miguel went to the right, opened the door at the end, and led me to a room about 15 paces in diameter.

"Please wait here. The Lord will be with you shortly."

Looking around from the entrance, there were shelves with several weapons on both sides of the walls. Approaching them, I found practice swords with dulled blades.

"Sorry for calling you out like this."

Turning around, Count Reckenberg was standing at the doorway, wearing just a long-sleeved shirt and simple pants.

"Why have you called me to a place like this?"

"According to what I've heard, you're quite skilled with a sword. I thought it would be nice to have some exercise to alleviate your lack of physical activity."

"I won't be a match for the one who can take one blow from Zeigt."

The Count walked to the opposite shelf, grabbing two daggers.

"But, it seems you're quite skilled in close combat with these. Of course, I'm not thinking of having you accompany me for free in my amusement."

"I don't understand. What benefit do you gain from doing such a thing?"

"Let's discuss that after we're done here. Of course, we'll settle the main issue as well."

Reluctantly, I took a dagger from the shelf. The blade was flattened, good for practice. Of course, hitting a vital point could result in a serious injury, or even death if the strike was in a bad spot.

"What if, by some accident, you end up dead?"

The Count smiled while turning his head.

"Don't worry about that. I've informed Miguel. No matter what happens, don't hold anyone responsible for my training accidents."

"Well, if you put it that way, I can't refuse to be your opponent."

I gripped the daggers in both hands, checking the balance. Simple in design, but with a well-balanced center of gravity and a grip that felt natural. We both slowly approached the center of the room. Crossing the blades in front of me, I lowered my head slightly. Simultaneously, the Count's body exploded forward. I blocked the extending dagger with the guard of my left hand, slipped into his guard, and thrust upward with my right hand from below.