Chapter 68: At The Abandoned Mine

"Zeigt. Wasn't there talk about an abandoned mine?"

"It used to mine silver, but now it's likely occupied."

"Then why are there sentries at the entrance? There seem to be shady individuals around."

"Observing from the shadows, I suspected something was up."

Our hidden gazes focus on Zeigt behind the bushes. He smiles at me.

"Harris, what do you think?"

Now everyone looks at me. Typical. Zeigt knows everything and enjoys posing mysteries.

"Perhaps a new vein was discovered, or there's something else."

"Well, usually, experts determine where silver is likely to be."

I find Zeigt's conversation tiresome.

"Zeigt, you already know everything. Are you so bored that you'd go on a business trip for meager silver mining? Those guys there must know there's no silver left. Yet, they set up guards. They're not decent folks."

Zeigt prompts me to continue. Reluctantly, I say the decisive line.

"There might be zeonite there, right?"

"Brother, what's zeonite? Is it valuable?"

"I don't know either. Harris, do you?"

Gina shakes her head.

"Zeonite itself isn't valuable, somewhat rare. It's heavy, reasonably hard but brittle to impact. Unsuitable for weapons or armor. Essentially useless."

"But it's needed to make something."

Zeigt urges me to continue. Why does he want me to say it?

"That's right. It's used to fill fake gold coins. Gold, being heavier than other metals, makes plated items lighter. Zeonite, heavier than gold, allows for the same weight when plated hollow."

"I see. Brother, you're quite knowledgeable."

Comba is impressed. Gina and Eilia ponder. Knowing this implies experience, not just knowledge.

"No, he's really smart and knows a lot. I think he could make a living as a scholar even if he quit being scout."

Zeigt says something serious or not, it's hard to tell.

"Well, I've investigated this before on a guildmaster's request. So, I knew, right?"

Before I reply, Eilia reacts.

"I thought so. When we talked about fake gold coins before, you had information. It's typical of a veteran adventurer."

I shrug. Despite the constant joking, it's appreciated.

"Others, wait here. Harris, I want you to look into this."

Zeigt puts his arm around my shoulder and leads me away.

"Tsk. What's your intention?"

"Well, it's a punishment for getting involved in making fake gold coins. There must have been unavoidable circumstances, so I don't plan to blame you further."

Summard has spoken, huh?

"Yeah, yeah. So, you didn't drag me all the way out here just to tease me, right?"

"Not at all. The situation at that abandoned mine is heavily guarded, making it difficult to investigate. Moreover, I'm curious why the securely locked door is open."

"I didn't open it."

"Ah, I see. It's like that."

Zeigt's smile is unsettling.

"They seem to be gathering desperate folks, but it's unclear whether they're really mining zeonite. Hence, the need for a skilled scout."

"Why me? There are other scouts, aren't there?"

Zeigt wears a vague expression.

"I don't want to be questioned too much, but well, the King is deeply concerned about fake gold coin circulation. So, there's a good chance of special recognition for related achievements. And ... you get it, right?"

Indeed. Maybe special permission for marriage with a former slave, normally prohibited.

"You're surprisingly concerned about me. Grateful for the attention, Holy Knight-sama."

"That's it. Do your best."

"Can I confirm? My task is to go inside, check for zeonite, and if their intention isn't just grabbing the remaining silver, the mission is complete?"

"And find the guard we posted. His name is Robert. Looks like a lazy farmer."

Zeigt hands me a shortsword. Unsettling not having a proper weapon, but it's inconvenient to be recognized. The knife hidden in the shoulder guard is a last resort.

I take a detour, approaching the mine entrance. The guards aren't vigilant. Complaining about the outdoor winter duty, they chat, shuffle around, and complain about the long wait for the relief.

I take out a silver coin and rub it on the ground. When the moon is covered by clouds, I throw it into a pile of fallen leaves. It lands well. Now, I wait for a guard to find it.

"One, lucky! Found a silver coin!"

"Lucky guy. Where did you find it?"

The other person approaches. Both of them start sifting through the leaves with their feet, searching for any more coins.

Seizing the opportunity, I quickly approach the entrance of the mine. The metal door, meant to prevent entry, is only slightly closed but open. I slip through the gap.

"What the hell. Damn it. Could've had one more coin. Geez. Treat me to a drink at least."

Ignoring the idiotic voices behind me, I proceed deeper into the mine.