Chapter 69: Intrusion

I successfully finish exploring the interior. Having entered a similar tunnel before, the structure was familiar, so it didn't take much time. Returning to the entrance door of the tunnel, I peek outside through the gap. Two different guards from the ones before are standing a little further away. I smoothly slip out and casually approach.

Not being cautious about the tunnel side is fatal. Approaching from behind, I put a thin tube to my mouth. The blowdart hits one person's neck as intended. Before they fall to the ground, I rush silently, making sure not to make any noise, and while pinning down the other person, I strangle the first one.

The one struggling violently settles down quickly when Zeigt, who rushed over, puts a fist in their stomach. I retrieve the blowdart. Until I replenish the paralyzing agent at the tip, it's just an ordinary needle. Zeigt and I, working together, tie the limbs of the unconscious guards to a tree, ensuring they can't make a sound. Meanwhile, Eilia and the others approach.

Without saying anything, Eilia and Gina scrutinize my body, probably thinking about what other hidden weapons I might have. I pretend not to notice and hand Zeigt a small, burnt-brown lump of stone.

"Look at this. The striped pattern is a characteristic of zeonite. Your subordinate Robert was confined. The arrangements have been made for him to pick up the cargo in a day or two. When that happens..."

I put my right hand to my throat and draw it across, signaling a swift end.

"He might be anxiously waiting with a long neck. You better hurry."

I receive the shortsword from Zeigt and strap it to my waist.

Zeigt slowly blows a whistle attached to a necklace hanging from his neck. The hooting of an owl echoes, and a similar sound responds from the darkness. It seems Zeigt's subordinates are in position. With this, there's no need to worry about those who might escape outside, and we can proceed with cleaning up the abandoned mine.

First, we head to a large room relatively close to the entrance of the mine. It's a room where miners are confined when not working. Although it's locked, such locks are like toys to me. I easily unlock it and open the metal door. A beastly smell emanates from inside.

About twenty men in worn-out attire lie on the floor of the moderately spacious room. The stench from bodies that haven't bathed in days is noticeable. Gina raises the intensity of the light from her staff, and they reluctantly sit up.

"We just took a break a little while ago. My body won't last much longer."

When their eyes adjust to the light, a gulp is heard.

"It's a woman..."

Well, it's understandable. Seeing a woman of marriageable age in a space confined to men brings out a sad reaction from human nature.

As they try to rush towards Eilia and Gina, they notice there are also strong warriors among us, and the men stop moving.

"Hello. We're knights serving the royal family, here to help you folks engaged in illegal mining in the royal-owned mine."

Zeigt's cheerful voice sounds out of place.

"Lured by the reward, you came, only to endure simple meals, be severely exploited, and soon be silenced. We came to help you."

The men, taken aback, finally have one of them speak up.

"Who are you?"

"I am a knight in the service of His Majesty. Well, that doesn't matter. If you want to save your lives, you better get out of here quickly. Those who brought you here intend to kill you all as soon as they finish transporting the cargo. If you follow our instructions, we guarantee a few days' worth of meals and a place with a roof. Survival comes first. Think about it carefully."

The men, who had been suspicious about our sudden arrival, seemed to have sensed something from our attitude. They slowly start leaving in a group. Those who remain are two men with glaring eyes.

"Why aren't you leaving?"

"Let us help too. We've got a score to settle with those guys."

The man closest to us lifts his tattered shirt, revealing severe whip scars on his back.

"If we don't receive any money, it's not worth it. And if we help Sir Knight, maybe we can get a bit of reward, you know?"

"Well then, let us help. By the way, is this all the miners you've gathered?"

"There are about ten still working below."

"Hmm. We need to be careful not to mistake them for thugs."

The men start laughing.

"No need to worry. Everyone's dressed like us, filthy and all. They, on the other hand, wear clean clothes and carry weapons."

"I see. Do you know how many of them there are and where they are?"

"About twenty or so. Their hangout is this way."

The men lead the way, and we descend into the tunnel. The air inside the tunnel surprisingly feels comfortable, perhaps because of a well-established airflow. The flame from the torch I carry at the end sways. However, the ceiling is not very high, and there are pillars supporting it diagonally in various places, so we need to avoid them as we proceed.

At a fork in the road, the men turn left. The moment they turn, I stumble over something and let out a small sound.

"Oops."

Everyone turns to look simultaneously.

I apologize while scratching my head.

"I seem to have twisted my foot a bit. Hey Comba, could you take over holding the torch for me?"

"Sure thing."

Comba and I swap positions. It doesn't result in the usual smooth steps, but walking is not impaired. After a while, the field of view widens, and we enter a high-ceilinged passage. It's quite spacious, allowing about three people to walk side by side. As we continue, there's a corridor to the right.

One of the miners who was walking with us speeds up.

"Over here."

At a location where the path sharply turns left, he suddenly starts running. At the end of the turn, there's a wooden door.

The man jumps at the door, opens it, and shouts.

"Hey, there are intruders! I pretended to guide them and lured them here! Can I get a reward, even a small one?!"

As the man reacts, everyone starts preparing for action.

"Don't move."

Among the guides, another miner, seemingly from nowhere, holds a chisel to Gina's throat.