Chapter 67: Distrust

--- "Harris, I love you. Mmm..."

My mouth was covered. Arms wrapped around my back, holding me tightly. Aisha's lips, now away from mine, whispered sweet nothings in my ear.

--- "I love you. Ah, so happy. Haah..."

Then she forcefully pulled on my ear.

Suddenly, I realized Gina was giving me a strange look while staring at my face.

"Harris, it's time for a shift. Usually, you wake up in a better mood."

I shook my head. A dream ... a memory of happiness I hadn't recalled in a long time. Yet, those were days of deceit. I sighed deeply and sat up.

"Sorry."

I went to where Comba was, relieving Eilia. She handed me a mug of hot drink from the pot. It was invigorating, but compared to what Tiana brewed, it wasn't gentle on the palate. I drank it slowly. When asked if I wanted a refill, I declined.

"Brother, can I ask you something?"

"What is it?"

"I wonder how I can become stronger."

"Why the sudden interest?"

"I was easily defeated by that monstrous horse-headed creature. It's frustrating."

"Well, it can't be helped. There aren't many adventurers in Norn Town who can beat that thing. Even Auris would have a tough time."

"But you were exchanging blows with it. ...Even though you're not a warrior."

"You bothered about the fact that you're behind the scouts?"

"No, it's not that. Well, maybe. Brother, please don't be offended. Close combat isn't your main role. That's my job."

"Well, that's true. But, you and I are different in experience."

Comba pursed his lips. Well, maybe this expression wouldn't convince him.

"I encountered that horse-headed monster before. So, I knew its strength and focused on defense from the beginning. Still, I was being pushed, and if Zeigt didn't come, I would have been sliced. You saw it too, right?"

"I was in shock and not paying much attention."

"Also, your weapon, with its strong striking power, is heavy and difficult to handle. It's a disadvantageous type against that opponent. And, with my weapon, I couldn't break its armor no matter what. In that regard, if you can land hits, your weapon should be effective."

Comba sighed.

"In the end, I'm still an apprentice."

"That's right. Don't get ahead of yourself, young one. You still have room to grow."

"Even so, Sister is amazing. To be able to injure such a monster."

"True. In a way, she might be even stronger than the two of us combined."

"Yeah, that's true."

Comba looked at Gina, who was wrapped in a blanket, and sighed.

"What's wrong? Even though Gina isn't as much as me, she's been an adventurer for a long time. Don't sigh like that."

"Haa... I wonder if this gap will ever close."

"Why are you sighing like that?"

"Haa. Is there a chance to narrow this gap?"

"You should ask Zeigt for a lesson. I've never handled an axe, but he can master any weapon. It's a good opportunity, so ask for guidance. I'll even put in a word for you."

"Is it okay to ask for something like that?"

"He'll don't mind. Me too, was trained considerably by him in my younger days."

"Well, when we return to town, I'll give it a try."

After finishing the conversation, I went to survey the surroundings. It wasn't the time to be helping Comba with his concerns. I had my own set of problems. First was Aisha. I needed to confirm what she was doing now, what her situation was. Finances seemed fine. I needed to recover the damages she caused.

And, there was a possibility she might make a move first. Even though our past relationship was only external, it was an intimate connection. Learning about my mistreatment might create some discomfort for her current husband or lover. Considering her actions, she might manipulate things to keep her past hidden. I understood this about her now.

Then there was the proposal from Count Reckenberg. Asking me to yield Tiana ... it was absurd. Unlike Norn, where it's directly ruled by the King, in a noble's private domain, the Lord's authority is quite strong. If I get paid an exorbitant amount of 100 gold coins, I couldn't complain even if Tiana was forcibly taken away. It was clear that they expected me to accept such a generous sum.

Zeigt insisted that with Stella, Tiana would be fine, but I couldn't be optimistic. Even if it were the debt of gratitude to the Count's life, Stella was a woman full of chivalry. Once she took Tiana under her care, she would protect her no matter what. Zeigt confidently asserted this, but I couldn't help but worry.

Perhaps due to the hasty departure, I noticed that Tiana didn't give me the usual kiss on the forehead. While she was chatting happily with the Count during the meal, her emotions might have swayed because the other party was a noble. After all, I was just a third-rate adventurer living day by day. There was no comparison.

Aisha might not have intended to deceive me from the beginning. She might have found a better man along the way and switched. Tiana might have shown affection towards me because there was no one else to rely on, being the main reason. I wanted to believe in Tiana's innocent smile. But as I remembered Aisha, the owner of a similar angelic smile, and what she did, my heart sank heavily.