Chapter 128: Minefield Are Scary Because You Can't See Them

After finishing our shopping, we decided to take a break at a cafe. Suo had been clinging to my left arm the entire time, and Ayashiro watched this with a hint of envy. Igarashi seemed somewhat troubled.

"I can't stand this..."

I thought their relationship was a bit unhealthy, so I felt some sort of intervention might be necessary. Though it might be a bit forceful, I decided to address their relationship.

"Ayashiro."

"What is it?"

"Suo isn't your sister."

Those words seemed to have a critical impact on Ayashiro, causing her to look down with a cloudy expression.

"Suo, I know you have some unresolved issues with Ayashiro. So, here and now, let it out."

"Well, I... But..."

Suo's expression also darkened. I could tell I was touching a sensitive nerve, but sometimes it's necessary.

"Just let it out."

"Fine ... I get it. Himena, I feel guilty when I'm with you. You know about my past, right?"

"Yes, but even so, I can't stop admiring and loving you, Edileza."

"I... I can't forgive myself for everything. Yet, it pains me that you admire and love me so sincerely. I'm not the same as the illusion of beauty you once thought of. I can't reciprocate those feelings anymore..."

With a voice mixed with tears, Suo said this. Her past was tragic and not something to be proud of, but Ayashiro still wanted to love her. It must be painful and heavy for her. I could somewhat understand that feeling. In my previous life, when I dated Igarashi, I often felt that I was not a balanced presence, leading to anxiety and sadness.

"Himena, if only I were someone who deserved to be admired, but I'm not."

There's a fear of being disappointed. Rather than facing that, it's easier to distance oneself from people. Suo had made that choice regarding Ayashiro.

"But I... Even so, I can't forget the brightness of that day. It doesn't feel like an illusion to me."

However, Ayashiro was trying to stay close to Suo even when she distanced herself. They looked at each other, but their hands never reached out to touch. It's quite sad.

"I don't really understand, but do you both want to make amends, right?"

Igarashi spoke up in the midst of the silence.

"In that case, why not start with some gestures? Gradually, you'll get used to each other and become friends naturally, won't you?"

It's quite a carefree opinion, but not a bad one, I think. People tend to forget about each other's past when they spend time together.

"Gestures? What should we do?"

Surprisingly, Suo was interested. In some way, she must like Ayashiro. That made me genuinely happy.

"Well, let's see ... how about trying on the same outfits and makeup as Ayashiro? Suo, you'd look great in a style like Ayashiro's!"

"Wait a second. Is that what you mean by 'gestures'?"

I couldn't help but interject.

"What a wonderful idea! As expected of you, Igarashi!"

Ayashiro's eyes sparkled. I don't know why, but she was clearly touched.

"I see... So, you mean that by taking a step toward Himena, I can even the relationship. Well done, Riri!"

"That's right! So, let's try it right away!"

And thus, Suo's "minefield debut" mission was launched. I don't understand the world of girls very well...








Igarashi and I were at a park near Kichijoji Station, feeding breadcrumbs to pigeons while waiting for Ayashiro and Suo. The two of them should be shopping at a mine-themed shop right now.

"What if you tried a mine-themed debut too?"

"Well, there are people who wouldn't like it, so I'll pass. I'll be considerate."

Igarashi ignored my suggestion while cooing to the pigeons. Well, I couldn't imagine it suiting her anyway. But who are these people who wouldn't like it? Who is she trying to appease? I didn't want to think about it.

"Sorry to keep you waiting!"

Ayashiro stood proudly beside us, and it seemed like Suo was hiding behind her.

"Edileza, show yourself to these two. You're the cutest girl in the world!"

Ayashiro pulled Suo out from behind her.

""Oh, wow!""

Igarashi and I couldn't hide our surprise at the transformation. Suo's round, sparkling eyes surprisingly matched her distinct facial features. Her twin-tailed black hair and pink frill shirt went perfectly together. The black nails on her white hands stood out as a strong point.

"She's an amazing minefield ... I can't wait to step on it!"

Ayashiro was really excited and had been taking photos of Suo with her phone.

"How do you like it?"

Suo asked me nervously.

"Yeah, you look pretty and cute. It's refreshingly different."

She usually gives off the vibe of a seductive night butterfly who exploits men, but now she seemed more vulnerable, and personally, I liked it.

"Yeah, it's cute, Suo! Let's take a commemorative photo! Yeay!"

Igarashi hugged Suo and took a selfie. It looked like an interesting combination. The girls were chatting and having a good time. This is how girls bond, I suppose. It's nice, even though I, as a guy, am on the sidelines...

"All right! To celebrate Suou's mine-themed debut, it's time for Edileza's mine appeal time! Whee! The rules are simple. Let's make a full-throttle mine appeal to Kanata! Okay, 3, 2, 1, go!"

With Ayashiro's mysterious talk, Suo stood in front of me. Suo crossed her hands together, her eyes shimmering, and said,

"Shall we go back to Brazil together?"

Huh?! This is a big minefield, right...?! It gave me an intense sense of tension, as if I had just stepped on a real mine!

"Scary?! Suo, that's really scary! It's too heavy! Seriously!"

Igarashi was trembling. Even as a girl, Suo had a heaviness that could make anyone uncomfortable. Ayashiro, on the other hand, was laughing out loud.

"Invite Kanata to the other side of the Earth! It's funny! Hahahaha!"

Suo's minefield level was genuine. But in a sense, Ayashiro and Suo might be a good match for this kind of thing. The two of them were laughing while linking arms, and it seemed very natural.















But what we didn't realize at that moment was that a true "mine" lies so deep that you can't even step on it.















Short Story : Otaku

Kanata "I watch anime and read manga like a normal person."

Himena "I like light novels. I used to read them like crazy during my chuunibyou days. I'd love to attend an academy with supernatural powers!"

Milan "I was on stage at a 2D event recently! I've also done voice acting for anime!"

Moo-chan "I'm in a cosplay circle, sort of."

Kirin "I'm not that interested, really."

Tomoe "I enjoy digging into online novels for women, like villainess stories."

Ririse "I read popular manga. That's about it."

Yuzuriha "I'm a light novel author and I'm going all out!"





Well, everyone forgot. Including me. But Yuzuriha has another face as an online novelist...!


















The story goes back a little before summer vacation started. It was during our usual lunchtime.

"I want to win!"

"What are you suddenly talking about? It's so abrupt that I'm confused."

Yuzuriha had a very serious look, like a fierce samurai from Satsuma, ready for a showdown.

"Sorry, I got carried away. Do you all know that I write novels online?"

"Yeah, we know. But you haven't updated recently, right? I've been looking forward to the next chapter!"

Milan, Igarashi, and I were all readers of Yuzuriha's novels. It wasn't just flattery, they were genuinely interesting, and we enjoyed reading them every time. However, updates had become infrequent lately. We assumed it was because of the college's busy schedule, but there seemed to be more to the story.

"Right, I do want to write more. But I can't."

"Is this a writer's block? If there's anything we can do to help, let us know."

Ayashiro, as always, exuded a motherly kindness. Her smile could make anyone want to open up.

"It's not a writer's block. I'm bursting with ideas. I want to release these overflowing ideas to the world. I'm impatient!"

"Then why aren't you updating? Frequent updates are important for web novels, right? Both I and other readers are waiting for more."

"I know! But I want to win! I want to win with my writing!"

We tilted our heads in confusion. Win at what? Yuzuriha, usually very logical, was saying something illogical.

"Win at what?"

"It's obvious! I want to win with my novel!"

"No, we get that you want to win. What we don't get is what you want to win at. It's a novel, that part is self-evident."

The context was getting muddled. Yuzuriha seemed to have something to say immediately, and then the explanation would come afterward.

"Hmm, I don't quite understand, but Yuzuriha's novel ranks within the top 50 in the Yomukaku romantic comedy category. You have over 10,000 followers, right? Isn't that impressive?"

There was no doubt that Yuzuriha was ranked highly. She also earned a good amount in rewards.

"But I want to win! Even though I've been writing as a hobby for over six years! Even during my college entrance exams! Even on my graduation day! Writing novels is my life's work!"

This person ... was a die-hard enthusiast. Or should I say, how is she smart enough to balance this with getting into a university?

"Hey, Yuzuriha. Your eyes are going crazy. What's bothering you? Tell us, and we'll help."

"Ayashiro, I... I... I want to win, but I'm a loser of an author! Pieee!"

And crying, Yuzuriha began to speak haltingly.

"I finally had a hit work recently. It was the beginning of everything that followed. The stars kept increasing. Followers increased too. The comment section became more lively. Everything made me happy. But one day, the novels that started after mine began to get published as books. It was a normal occurrence, but novels that started later than mine kept getting published. Before I knew it, I was sandwiched between those published novels in the total ranking. I was being left behind! I was tormented by jealousy! Why, when they have fewer stars than me? Fewer followers? Fewer comments? I should be winning in every way! But I realized I lost in writing novels. But even though that feeling is hard to shake, I'm scared! What if they pass me again? No matter how much I write, I keep getting left behind! The authors who surpassed me shine like stars, broadcasting their highbrow ideas, cornering me! I... I'm being left out! Why can't I be there? I should be much, much more interesting than they are!!"

It was a soul's lament, a vulnerable ego laid bare, a lonely and sad cry.

"Ugh, I get that feeling! I understand! I really understand it! Yeah!"

Milan hugged Yuzuriha, sobbing. She had been an underdog until recently, so she probably understood the feelings of frustration and disappointment during the underdog phase. I understood, too. When I failed to get into art school, I wondered why my art wasn't appreciated. I was so frustrated. In my previous world, as an architect, my designs were appreciated, and that was what rewarded my feelings of frustration. That's right. Frustration can only be rewarded through winning.

"I see... You're in quite deep. Yuzuriha. I've thought about a way to break through your current situation. Would you listen?"

Ayashiro spoke with a serious expression.

"How about writing a doujinshi?"

Doujinshi. Personally, I had an image of it being created by enthusiasts who are more successful in their personal lives. It seemed like a dazzling proposal to a shut-in like me.

"Doujinshi? There's no way ... that's impossible for me. I'm a loser author. No one would pick it up. Haha..."

"No, it's not like that. We will create a doujinshi based on your work and publish it. We'll make it go viral and pave the way to getting it published! Please listen!"

Ayashiro stood up with determination. Her skirt fluttered slightly, but I didn't see her underwear. Instead, her white thighs seemed dazzling.

"Doujinshi is an open world. We'll turn your novel into a paperback with illustrations! Have you forgotten? We have Tokiwa, an anti-corporate illustrator, here!"

"Not anti-corporate! But if it's illustrations, I can do it. Wait, what? This proposal actually sounds quite realistic, doesn't it?"

Ayashiro continued with her proud expression.

"Now, ASMR is a big thing these days. We even have an active voice actor right here! Milan can voice multiple characters. As a bonus, we can include voice downloads!"

"Really!? I can do it! Huh? Is this actually a great proposal?"

Ayashiro further deepened her smug expression.

"Let's add a cosplay photo book. I'll make costumes for the characters in your work! And not just that. Milan, Tokiwa, and I will work as cosplay vendors together! This is the ultimate team!"

Ayashiro spread her arms in a triumphant gesture.

"I'll make you win! Now, tell us your answer!"

Ayashiro reached out her hand to Yuzuriha, and Yuzuriha grabbed it.

"Please, everyone! Let me win!!"

"Yes, leave it to us."

And thus, our Comiket (Comic Market) participation was decided.








Next Chapter Preview!

The doujinshi is selling well, but Yuzuriha still faces a daunting challenge.

"The local boundary of phenomena confirms the EPR paradox, and just as Schrödinger's cat is cute, you can never defeat me. That's the absolute law of this web novel world!"

And so begins the fate-defining duel to choose the Comiket princess!

The path of light novels is a desperate one. Can you cross the threshold of death? Look forward to the next chapter!





***Author's musings***

Who could the next rival to appear be...?