Chapter 55: How To Spend Money

It was a splendid bridal gown. Tiana found it on display in a corner of the shop while asking for some fabric remnants. Her eyes sparkled when she saw it, showing that girls have a natural attraction to such things. After taking her eyes off it, Tiana selected a piece of dark green fabric larger than her shoulder width from a table filled with various fabrics.

As we approached the counter to pay, Tiana took out a small leather pouch and handed two copper coins to the shopkeeper. It was the pouch I had given her to keep pocket money. She received the fabric with care and then lowered her head to me.

"Thank you for waiting."

As we left the shop, I asked a question.

"That fabric seems quite expensive, doesn't it?"

"Yes. It was brought from a distant place and has a smooth texture that's gentle on the skin. I heard it can help expel impurities from the body."

"I see. What are you planning to make with it?"

"I thought it might be suitable to cover the hair when Stella-sama, whom I mentioned earlier, is working in the kitchen. May I ask you to take it with you the next time Master goes out?"

"Sure, that's fine."

While I had given her the freedom to use the money as she pleased, I still wondered how she would spend it. It turned out to be a gift for someone she had received charity from, and it seemed like Stella was much more important to her than I was. I knew it was wrong to feel such emotions, but I couldn't help it.

Next, we stopped by Father Bock's place.

"Hey, Harris. Are you here with the young lady today?"

"Hello."

I noticed Tiana politely bowing, and I glared at Father Bock, who lowers his eyes at Tiana. Honestly, I'll have to complain it to his wife later.

I bought a replacement for the cloak I had given away the other day. As we were about to leave, Father Bock insisted that I should place an order for new armor. It was a bit unusual for a man who didn't force unnecessary purchases, but if it was a matter of life and death, I had to take it more seriously.

"So, how about it?"

"Hmm. I still can't make up my mind. I don't have the upfront money."

"It's between us, after all. If you could give me a down payment, I wouldn't mind if you paying the full price later."

I crossed my arms and, from behind, a hesitant voice spoke.

"...Um, I'm sorry. How much does the leather armor that Master is wearing cost?"

"Ah, it's custom-made, so there's no fixed price. But, well, at the very least, it's worth at least two gold coins."

Tiama, still holding her leather pouch, seemed frozen in place. She looked inside the pouch, took something out, and handed it to him.

"It's far from enough, but please use this as part of the payment."

In the palm of her small hand were six copper coins, which were probably all of Tiana's savings.

I could feel my blood boiling. I was angry at myself. Since I had felt jealous of Stella earlier, this feeling was amplified. I gently wrapped Tiana's hand around the coins.

"Keep your money."

"But..."

I withdrew her hand without saying a word. When I turned to face Father Bock, he had a smirk on his face. I glared at him, sending him a killing intent. Say anything more, and I'll knock you out. Feeling my intense pressure, Father Bock proceeded as if nothing had happened.

"So. There are three potential suppliers, but I'd recommend Cowburn. They have the lowest yield rate on inspection."

"Huh? That means they're not very good."

"But that's not the case, is it? The sister who does the inspection at Cowburn is very strict."

"So that's what you're saying."

"The other two companies fired their veterans in an attempt to improve yield. I'm sure it's great right after you buy it, but after a year of use, the difference is obvious. Well, I don't have much to complain about those two companies."

Father Bock smiles a misanthropic smile.

"Well, anyway..."

"Dead men tell no tales, right?"

"Absolutely. So, what will you do?"

"I see. In that case, I'll go with Cowburn. Is it alright to use the silver knife I've deposited as a down payment?"

"Yes, that's enough."

Father Bock came around the counter, swiftly taking measurements of various parts of my body.

"Alright, I'll place the order. Please allow up to a month for delivery."

"Sure, I understand. And the remaining balance?"

"Two gold coins. Work hard to earn them."

As we started walking towards the grocery store, Tiana apologized.

"I'm sorry for being presumptuous earlier."

"Oh, I'm not angry or anything, you know?"

"But you looked really scary."

I gently stroked her head.

"I've always looked like this. Plus, I appreciated your feelings. But, if you bought my armor with the money I gave you, it would be pointless, right?"

"I ... I really don't need you to give me money."

"In that case, you won't be able to buy a gift for Stella."

Tiana looked down, a bit disheartened.

"Well, I appreciate the sentiment. So, have you thought about the menu? You're going to entertain Eilia, right?"

"I'm still undecided."

I noticed something in Tiana's demeanor.

"You're considering covering the cost of the ingredients yourself, aren't you? I invited her, so she's my guest. Don't worry, I'll make sure to pay the expenses."

"But..."

"Shall we switch roles, then? You buy the ingredients, and I'll do the cooking. It's probably going to be burnt fish or soup with completely melted ingredients, so which one do you prefer?"

When I lived alone, I cooked occasionally, but what I made wasn't fit for others. It barely passed as food. I hadn't cooked anything since Tiana had arrived, and whatever I produced would likely be even worse than before. Tiana lifted her head, which had been lowered.

"I understand. I've been a bit cheeky, saying those things. I'd like to ask Master to pay for the ingredients."

"Alright, leave it to me. It's a special occasion, so let's make it a surprise."

"Okay, I'll do my best!"

The sight of Tiana, determined with her slightly flustered expression, was both amusing and endearing.