Chapter 56: The Scary Faces

The town square in Norn was bustling with people. In the center of the square, there was a scaffold, and two men with handcuffs on wooden frames stood there. Their shabby clothes were stained with various colors. A half-rotten fruit or vegetable hit one of the men in the face.

"Serves you right!"

Cheers erupted from the surrounding crowd. The men standing on the platform were fugitives I had captured. Today, their execution was turning into a small festival, even though it had only been three days since their sentencing. Market stalls of traveling merchants had sprung up on the edges of the square.

A wooden fence had been set up about twenty paces away from the scaffold, and guards ensured that nobody got closer. The crowd was throwing things they had in their hands. I had tried to bring Tiana, who seemed strangely downcast despite the invitation to dinner with Eilia, but she shook her head with a sad expression, so I left her with Misha and her son.

Gina had been looking around at the stalls, searching for magic items, and now she returned with Comba by her side.

"This is all I could find."

She pulled out a pendant from inside her clothes, and it had a garnet stone attached to it.

"Wearing this should provide some protection against the cold in the dungeon. You won't have to feel so cold inside anymore."

"What's with that face?"

A trumpet blared and interrupted our conversation

The Lancer Magistrate ascended the stage, and the surroundings fell silent. After a brief greeting, the crimes of the two criminals were read aloud, and the guards led them to the gallows. They resisted, but it was futile. Bags were placed over the faces of the shouting men. Ropes were placed around their necks, and the excitement of the crowd intensified. When the Lancer swung his arm, the platform broke, and the criminals writhed as if dancing violently.

Finally, they stopped moving, and cheers erupted.

"Justice has been served!"

"The sinners are on their way to hell!"

Ignoring the people around us who were raising their spirits, we headed for home.

Gina and I had the right and responsibility to witness this, but we had no intention of joining the revelry that followed. I couldn't say I didn't have any lingering desire for free booze. But I had expected to feel much more jubilant. I walked with a scowl on my face, and someone suddenly jumped out in front of me, and Comba stepped forward to protect me.

"Oh, Harris. I've finally found you. Can I, uh, talk to you for a moment?"

It was Moore, the landlord.

"What do you want?"

My voice was irritable, but it couldn't be helped.

"Harris, it's about your slave."

"What about Tiana?"

Moore maintained a forced smile and took a step back.

"Do you know that she's been bullied by the town kids? No, it's not just bullying, it's more like they've hurt her..."

"What are you saying?"

I cornered Moore.

"Uh, calm down. I haven't done anything. I just saw her being pushed around and things thrown at her by the town kids."

"Is that true?"

In my fury, I grabbed Moore's collar. Tiana's injuries and her weakened state flashed through my mind. So that's what happened.

"Dammit."

I couldn't help but curse.

"W-What?"

Moore's face turned pale. A hand reached over and touched my shoulder.

"Harris. Your face is way too scary."

Gina had an exasperated look on her face. I ran a hand over my face.

"So, who did it?"

Moore mentioned the name of a furniture craftsman.

"I think it's the youngest daughter over there, Lily."

"You're not mistaken, right? Thanks, Moore. If what you said is true, you and I are even now."

I ran home, eager to get back. Why didn't Tiana tell me about this when she had gone through such an experience? Frustration filled my thoughts as I ran. My legs suddenly froze, and I felt like I was about to collapse. A bluish light emanated from my feet. Damn, was that Chill's spell? I glanced behind me, and Gina was running towards me, with Comba following from a distance.

"What are you thinking?"

I confronted Gina, who had come up beside me.

"I told you to stop making that face. Tiana will be scared."

Gina reached out with both hands and used her index finger to gently touch my cheek and lift it up.

"Smile. You have plenty of presence without that. Don't you think she didn't want to tell you because she didn't want to see that face? I bet she thought it would just make you angrier and backfire."

"...So, what should I do then?"

"I've given you a hint, the rest is up to you. By the way, the magic has just worn off."

I thought as I walked quickly. Gina's words made sense. Tiana was still a child, delicate and easily hurt. Keeping silent about her injuries was probably because she was afraid of what I might do. But that wasn't the only reason. She probably didn't want to burden me further.