Chapter 45: Bat Inn


"I can't overlook the fact that you entered the dungeon without permission. I will ask you to pay the same amount as the three silver coins that are the registration fee for adventurers."

Summard says softly.

I thought I was coming back later than planned, but this is it.

"Guildmaster. That's terrible, isn't it?"

"Oh? You're unhappy because people walk around the dungeon for free?"

Summard gets me to go through with it, and I don't even sputter.

"But three silver coins isn't an amount of money you can just pop in and pay for someone who came to town with nothing but their clothes on......"

"That's right. So Harris is going to replace it. It's a nice, heartwarming story."

Summard's smile and barbed lines rarely shown to adults.

"Guildmaster. Can you please stop being so subtle and making me sound like a bad guy, like I'm somebody?"

"What do you mean?"

This guy knows what she's talking about.

Summard's expression changes and she turns to Misha, who is shrinking beside her.

"I, for one, am glad to have you working at the Bat Inn. Because of the lack of help there, our guild members have been coming in and out of other stores, and there's been some trouble with the public, and it's been a headache."

The Bat Inn was a hangout for adventurers, which I used to frequent until Tiana came along.

Adventurers in general were not so well behaved.

Summard keeps a close eye on them, and her father is an adventurer himself, so she knows how to deal with the riffraff.

However, this is not the case at other inn.

"Misha. I'm sure you know how to deal with drunks, but if you get in over your head, don't hesitate to tell the owner, Argus. And this is my advice as a human being, not as a guildmaster. Be careful of the scout, Dennis. At first glance, he looks better than this Harris, but that man is cold-blooded as a snake."

She says the last part jokingly, but her face is not smiling.

"Do not accept anything from that man. Especially definitely anything you can't pay the price for."

Dennis had seduced the daughter of Misha's predecessor with his words and found herself so deep in debt that she could not pay. The girl grew tired and tired and one day she disappeared.

I took Misha to the Bat Inn. Located right next door and connected by a side service entrance, it was almost like an attached facility.

Argus, a stout man of solid build, greeted us.

The scar on his temple is a terrible sight, but when he smiles, it is indescribably charming.

He took Misha's hand and shook it.

"Oh, no. That's really nice of you. I'm going to be stuck in the kitchen, so I'll need you to serve the drinks and food. And don't worry, touching is strictly forbidden in this inn. If you see any such insolent b*stard, just tell me. I'll throw him in Summard's bedroom right away. She's lonely sleeping alone, so I'm sure the guildmaster herself will give him plenty of love and affection until he can't stand on his own two feet."

Argus turned to me, laughing at his own crude joke.

"Harris's husband should come once in a while. I hear he's crazy about that miss cooking."

"Well. I'm sure she's as good a cook as you are."

"She's so cute. Well then, I've got to prepare the food, so please teach Misha about the inn. I'm sure you know everything about the place. I'll buy you two drinks."

"Hey."

Argus disappears into the back, happily rolling up his arms, and doesn't look back.

I had no choice but to duck under the counter and go inside.

I lead her to the brewery and explain where the shelves are and what kind of sake is on them.

I showed her where the tableware was and showed her the menu.

I was thirsty, so I got a glass of ale and was sipping on my refill when a few people came rushing in through the service entrance.

"There you are. It's Harris, isn't it? I heard you're a newbies's instructor, right? You're looking pretty high and mighty, aren't you?"

It was the warrior Auris and his party members.

They boasted the top strength in this guild. However, they must be inferior to the Bash Squad based in Capital, which I joined as a temporary member.

"Oh, a new waiter. That's nice. It's a fragile feeling. Then I'll take ale for the number of people."

Auris and the others occupied a table in the corner and began ordering food one after another.

Argus glanced over.

"You guys, keep it classy. Don't embarrass Miss Misha."

I'm relieved to see Misha, who immediately regains her instincts and begins working quickly, so I decide to go home.

"Hey. Harris. You're leaving already?"

"Yeah."

"But I didn't expect you to be instructor. You've been here a long time. But a scout as a leader?"

"I was forced to take the job because there was no one else available. If that's the case, Auris. You should do it."

"Yeah, I guess so. Maybe I could do it for my last apprenticeship."

"Last? What do you mean?"

"Oh. In a couple of months, we're going to move our headquarters to Capital. I think we'll make more money there."

So that's what's going on. So that's why Summard is starting to get serious about training newbies.

"That's good to hear."

"Yeah, well. Harris. You were part of the Capital party, weren't you? How'd that go?"

"How did it go?"

"I'm just saying, who's better?"

"You're right, it's Capital. I'm sorry to say that the team I joined is better than yours. Even with me in it, the sixth layer didn't seem to be a problem."

"Hm. You may be right then. We'll have to beef it up. You're not moving from this place? Scouts are in short supply now. They need some, don't they?"

"I'm tired of being a burden to the party. Well, good luck with that."

I downed the bottom of my ale and set it on the counter.

I wave to Misha, who is busy working, and head for home.

Scouts were useless in battle. This was especially true at the lower layer.

I don't want to feel small and almost dead.

As I thought this, I felt a hazy feeling deep down inside.