Chapter 44: True Skill


TL: Scaramochi


***


Carrie still seems to resent being pushed so hard on her chest. On the other hand, Comba doesn't seem to mind at all.


I know she probably didn't enjoy the tactile sensation because of the glove, but he's rubbing a woman's chest, so can't he act a bit flattered?


"Brother. Here are apples. My mother sent me a lot of apples for you."


Comba hands me a large bag.


It was quite heavy. Tiana would be pleased.


"Oh. I'm sorry for making you feel like this."


Carrie, arms crossed, gave me a look that said if you've done what you had to do, go home.


Comba didn't notice and peered behind the doorway.


"What do you want?"


"No, I don't really have any business, but I was just wondering how Miss is doing."


"Oh, you're talking to Misha? Do you want to come in?"


"No, thanks. You're used to dungeons, aren't you? I'm still a little tired."


Comba left quickly.


What the hell is that?


I turn to Carrie.


"Oh, sorry. So what's the story?"


"I can't talk about it here."


"I'm sorry. Come inside."


Carrie went inside to slink her shoulders.


I called Tiana over, deposited her apple, and asked Gina and Misha to sit out as well.


"Well. That should do it, right?"


"Yeah. Okay, listen. You cut me some slack in our practice game, didn't you?"


"No, I didn't mean to."


"Your swordsmanship was obviously different from the way you wielded it in the dungeon. Well, I'm sure it's due to the magic effect on that sword."


"Magic in this ragged sword?"


"It's no use playing dumb. If you want, I can cast a magic detection spell on it if you want."


"What if I say no?"


Carrie folds her arms under her chest and looks at me challengingly.


"Oh. I get it. You noticed that when you fought the undead horde, didn't you?"


"Yes, I did. It's not easy to expand the scope of magic that targets a single target. It's still a bit difficult with Gina. It was that big, insensitive man's axe that gave you the magic at that time. And yet your sword destroyed the skeleton."


"Well, you can use magic too, so you'll know."


"And you're pretty good with a sword, aren't you?'


"My technique is not like a warrior. It's a sharp attack. Even with a smashed practice blade, if you hit the wrong spot, you can get into a lot of trouble. You underestimated me then, didn't you?"


Carrie nodded reluctantly.


"If I hurt you with my tricky moves, Summard would have twisted my neck. That's why."


"I see. That makes sense."


"You came all the way out here to make sure of that?"


"Yes. Of course I did. I'd like to know what the leader is capable of as long as I'm going to be a member of your party in the future."


"If you put it that way, Carrie, you cut corners when you fought the goblins, didn't you?"


"Yes, I was. When I get serious, one is enough. But then, do you think it would be good training for Falk and the others?"


"Well, thank you for your concern. So, what changed your mind to come clean to that extent?"


"Because I was tired yesterday. The dungeon was different after all. At least in terms of overall strength, I'm still not as good as you."


Well. Suddenly he's being honest.


"To tell you the truth. For a while now, I've been worried that Commander Marc might abandon me someday. There were a lot of rumors. I believed that I could use magic and that everything would be fine, but I guess I was just being conceited."


Carrie gives a self-mocking laugh.


"Harris. Before I came to your house to plant the fake gold coins, the Commander said you must be doing something shady. But I'm beginning to think otherwise. You are quite skilled as a scout, and you took the newcomers seriously in your teaching in the dungeon. So ...... that's why I'm sorry. I'm sorry I did something to bring you down."


Carrie bows her head.


Hmm. I can't decide if I can trust her or not.


"I don't know if I can suddenly take that kind of attitude......."


"You can't trust them, can you? I agree. I'm hoping that eventually you'll be convinced, even if you can't now."


"Well, I guess we won't be partying together anymore."


"What do you mean?"


"No. I'm only a temporary hire for the Newcomer Training Corps. It's a one-time deal for now. I'm thinking I'll pass on it next time."


Carrie began to chuckle.


"What's funny?"


"Do you think that guildmaster would allow it? I think you're the right person for the job too. Even if you're not training newcomers, please call on me when you dive dungeons. I can only imagine, but I'm sure I'm good enough to handle the second layer without a doubt."


"I understand. I'm also grateful to have an excellent vanguard. I'll be looking forward to working with you."


I hold out my hand and Carrie squeezes it tightly.


As long as Summard has my back, I won't do anything strange.


"Oh yeah. That big bump called Comba is your personal disciple, isn't he?"


Oops, was that yesterday's complaint?


"Yes, he is."


"Then you should tell him that he needs to have a little more delicacy to get a woman's favor."


"I don't mind, but what do you mean?"


"I mean exactly what it means. Well, I don't have any obligation to tell you at all, but in the meantime, I'm going to continue to let you be my neighbor."


"Oh. I get it."


I said that, but I had no idea what she meant.



PREV | NEXT