Chapter 41: I Want to Be More Helpful


TL: Scaramochi


***


[Tiana's POV]


♡♡♡♡♡♡♡


When I opened my eyes, Master's face was closer than I had imagined.


His brow was wrinkled. His shallow breath still smelled a little of alcohol.


The memory of last night comes back to me.


I have slipped into the crevice beside Master lying on the sofa. Nearly half of my body is now on Master's chest.


I shifted my body.


The wrinkles disappeared from Master's forehead and his breathing became more relaxed.


I must have compressed his chest and made him suffer.


I am sorry. I want to stay in this warmth for a while, but it's not going to happen.


It was already dawn, and I had to prepare breakfast.


Today I have to prepare food for five people, so it was going to take longer than usual.


I try to get up, but that's where I get into trouble.


I was stuck between the back of the sofa and Master. If I made a wrong move, I'm afraid Master would wake up.


Looking at his slightly pouty face, there was no doubt that he needed his sleep.


Last night, Misha and him had come over and talking about something difficult with their foreheads pressed together.


I was washing Tuck-boy's body, so I didn't hear the details. But neither Master nor the sister laughed.


Now, what should I do? If I put my hand somewhere on Master's body, I might be able to raise his upper body. But that would be no good.


I turned my body slowly and turned toward the backrest.


I put my right hand on the backrest and put some strength into it.


I managed to raise my upper body, and then I was able to stand up in the gap.


I move over to where Master's feet are and climb over the armrests and down to the floor.


It was bad manners, but it was better than stepping over Master's legs.


I try not to make a sound and stretch as much as I can.


Unlike the bed, my body was still tense here and there.


Thinking back to the days when I used to sleep directly on the floor, I should have been blessed, but my body had become completely accustomed to the ease of it.


I put on the earrings.


I am so used to it that I don't mind not having a mirror anymore.


When I check on Master once more, he is sleeping, breathing slowly.


I gently put the cloak on the floor and went to the kitchen so as not to make any footsteps.


Nix slithered up from the corner of the kitchen.


I petted him and his tail wagged.


It was cold in the kitchen. It was completely cold. It might not be so cold if I hide myself in the straw and sleep with Nix in my arms, but the cold crawling up from the stone floor must be quite severe.


I went out the back door and drank some water from the well.


After washing my hands and face, I felt refreshed.


Now, I must do my best again today.


I rolled up my arms and put on an apron.


I took out the tinder from the ashes with a poker and transferred the fire from the straw to the wood.


Today I'll make grain porridge with sauteed mushrooms. The mushrooms we had picked the other day with trepidation would give off a good flavor.


The sizzling frying pan began to smell good.


I turn around at the presence behind me and see Master standing at the entrance to the kitchen.


His slightly long hair is tangled together like a bird's nest.


"Good morning."


"Ah. Good morning. Is it that mushroom this morning?"


"Yes. They are almost ready, please wait."


Master's hair was calm when he went outside and came back.


Maybe it's time to cut it.


The others who have woken up join us around the morning table.


It's very lively with just one boy.


I can't help but shout loudly to warn him. But Tuck is not a bad boy, even though he is noisy.


After finishing their breakfast, Masters put their foreheads together and start talking again.


I put away the dishes, remove the sheets from Master's bed and set the new ones in place. 


I decide to wash the removed sheets with the others.


The temperature is not high today, but it is mild and sunny with a light breeze, making it a perfect day for washing clothes.


It feels good to see the clean clothes lined up on the clothesline.


When I returned inside, the conversation was still going on.


"Excuse me. I'm sorry for interrupting. I'm going shopping, but would you like your meal for five persons?"


Master looks up at the ceiling before replying.


"Yes, that's right. For now, lunch is for five."


I go outside and stand for a moment with Odie, who was cleaning up.


"Master was pleased with the food you taught me. Thank you."


"No, no. I'm glad I was helpful. So, what's that sound I hear from the kids?"


"We have a little visitor here. Am I bothering you?"


"No. It's not easy with that many people."


"That's why it's so rewarding."


"I see. Well, I'll teach you a new dish next time."


"I'd love to!"


I pick out some items at the grocery store.


What would a little boy like?


I was wondering, and then I found an egg.


I thought it would be good to put bacon and vegetables inside and bake them with milk.


I picked out some food for dinner and left the store.


"Try not to fall over."


"Yes, I will. I'll be careful."


On the road, I think about Misha and the others who came to our house.


They hadn't eaten well.


I know because I've been there.


Sometimes, I have weird thoughts about what if I'm dying when I get hungry.


My cooking will cheer you up!


Well, maybe "my" is not quite the right word. Because Master earned the money for these ingredients with his own body.


It is a blessing to be able to sleep in a bed and eat a proper meal just by doing a little housework.


Master doesn't suffer without me, but if it were the other way around, I would be in trouble in no time.


I hope I can be of some proper help, but what can I do?


Shall I talk to Sister about it?


When I thought I felt someone's presence, I was pushed off with a thud and fell to the ground.


My elbows and knees are twitching.


Oh, more importantly, where's my shopping basket?


I looked into the basket that had fallen away from me on impact and saw that all the eggs had been broken.


I look up to see a neatly dressed girl about my age, her face contorted.


She screamed hatefully as she ran off.


"You're a slave and you're cocky!"


The broken egg brings back unpleasant memories.


I had accidentally broken an egg, and my second father had hit me badly.


The bad memory tortured me more than my tingling limbs.



PREV | NEXT