Chapter 28: Change

TL: Scaramochi


***


As I was walking home after leaving the guild, I heard a voice.


It was the lady from the grocery store.


I've been getting a lot of calls from her today.


I went under the eaves of the roof, thinking that I had cleaned up the room.


"Harris, I haven't seen you for a few days."


"Yeah, I haven't seen you in a couple of days too. I've been at work."


"Well, the other day, when Tiana came in to do some shopping..."


I braced myself as if I did something wrong.


"I didn't realize it at the time. But I think I gave her too much change by mistake."


Oh dear. That's what happens?


If you can't be sure, just put the blame on her. If the master is like that, the slave must be too.


I thought I was used to it, but I felt my cheeks stiffen naturally.


"Well then. You come all the way back and tell me that you made a mistake? You know what? She gave me back four small copper coins."


"Ha?"


"I said, "That's great!" and you know what she said? She said, "I would never do anything to disgrace Master's face!""


"Eh?"


"I was already impressed. I was so moved, I didn't even know if she could just put it in her pocket. I mean, it's a small amount of money, but it's what she'd normally use to buy back her freedom in the future, right? Well, you seem to be doing her a favor."


"Why are you telling me all this?"


"Well, I don't know. But I felt I had to tell you. I know it's none of my business."


I mumbled something like a thanks in my mouth and walked away.


When I got home, I found Gina alone in her room, spreading out a spell book.


"Oh, Harris."


"I didn't mean to intrude. Well, since you're here, can I have a word?"


"Sure. What is it?"


"If I told you that I have a job for you to work with me to go around the first layer of the dungeon with a newcomer, would you take it? I'll have one experienced person in the vanguard."


"Yes, I don't mind."


"You're taking it pretty easy, aren't you?"


"Well, if Harris, who has more experience than I do, said so, then it's not a bad idea."


"It's not that good, though."


"Really? I'll let you be the judge anyway. By the way, you might want to put those books away over there. I don't know if you want Tiana to read them."


Gina points to a writing desk in the corner of the room.


Ah. The Tales of Duke Baxter. It is a story about Duke Baxter, who was born, raised, and has a good face, and his history with women. The main character is sleeping around with women as if it's a normal thing. This Duke Baxter is an outcast who takes in a beautiful girl with no relatives and eats her without hesitation. Well, I can't speak for other things.


"That girl won't read people's things without permission, but she did say that once she learns to read, she'd like to read books. Maybe it's still a little too much for that kid."


I guess she had finished what she wanted to say, and without giving me a chance to argue, Gina went back to her spell book.


It's not that radically descriptive. I just wouldn't want her to see it. Even if she didn't have any guilty feelings toward me, but it still would be awkward. I don't want Tiana to compare her situation with the book and become wary of me.


I put the book away in the drawer of my writing desk and locked it.


But I wonder if Gina knows what the Duke of Baxter's Tale is about and is not going to say anything to me.


Like she doesn't know about my ulterior motives?


Well, I can't say that she have any right to interfere about other people's slaves. But, let's just say that she has prevented me from losing my credibility for now.


I open the back door.


Tiana was washing the clothes I had taken off earlier. She was scrubbing the soapy clothes on a corrugated board.


When I got close to her, she turned around.


She was wiping her face with her sleeve, having trouble keeping her hands covered in foam.


I was surprised to see her breath and she looked so elated.


"Oh, master. Can I help you?"


"No. It's not so much, but I wanted to give you this."


I took out a copper coin and showed it to Tiana.


"Is this for tonight's dinner? Yes, that's right. It's been a long time since I've cooked for Master, so I'll do my best."


"No. It's not shopping money. This is yours to do with as you please."


Tiana nodded her head.


"Um. I'm free to use it?"


"You can save it and buy what you want. Do as you please."


"Oh no. I can't accept it."


Tiana backed away and waved her hand.


Bubbles flew off and stuck to her cheeks.


I reached out and wiped it off, leaving a soft, indescribable sensation on my fingertips.


"Ah, thank you."


"Well, wherever you go, you're free to spend this money. Rather, I'm sorry I haven't given it to you before."


I shoved a copper coin into Tiana's apron pocket.


"Oh. Um. That's...."


I tried to put my hand in her pocket, but it was covered in bubbles and I couldn't do it.


"Oh the butter galette, the pastry you like. The guildmaster gave it to me, and I put it on the table, so you can eat it however you like."


I withdraw into the house.


The amount I gave Tiana was four copper coins.


For a slave to regain her freedom, she must pay her master and the kingdom an amount equal to her selling price.


In Tiana's case, it was six gold coins. Even if I gave it to her at this rate, it would take 40 years.


She seems content with this life for now, but she will eventually become more greedy. Even a slave can take advantage of it's master's power if it's master has it, but it is futile to expect that from me. If that is the case, the ultimate goal is to become an emancipated slave. The money I gave her was a thin thread of hope for that purpose. What I had done was nothing but hypocrisy, and the feeling that I had done something good quickly faded.



PREV | NEXT