Chapter 29: Planning To Pick Mushrooms


TL: Scaramochi


***


[Tiana's POV]


♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡


"Master. Would you like meat or fish for dinner?"


"Hmm. Anything is fine."


I'd like him to decide between the two if possible, but I can't help it.


"Okay. Then let's go with the meat. Stew, okay?"


"Oh. That would be fun."


We enter the shop and I start talking with the owner. Meanwhile, Master is looking at the liquor cabinet.


As I ask the owner to bring out the recommended meat from the back, Master approaches with a bottle of wine.


Master pays for it and leaves the store.


"It's been a long time since I've shopped like this with Master."


"Yes, it has."


On my way to the house, I look up at the sky and see the clouds floating high above me, tinged with an azure color.


My heart was lifted even though we were only walking slowly uphill.


"I should get ready for winter soon. I should also gather some firewood, there's not much left, right?"


I was wondering how to broach the subject when the other side brought it up.


"Yes, that's right. If you tell me where it is, I'll go get it."


I quietly asked him, but Master looked reluctant.


"Did I say something strange?"


"There are sometimes exiles roaming around outside the town, and sometimes wolves. It's not safe for you, so I'll go get them."


"No. I can't let Master work alone. Can I go with you?"


"Let's see."


"I'd like to invite sister to join us and pick mushrooms while we collect firewood too."


"Mushrooms?"


"The mushrooms I served you for breakfast the other day, I heard you can pick them a little further up the mount. Sister said it's about time to start picking them."


"You're more of a mushroom picker, aren't you?"


Master chuckles. A bitter smile, but a smile is a smile.


"No, I'm not. It's just an incidental thing."


I try to put on a serious face, but my mouth is about to unclench at the memory of the taste of mushrooms.


"Well, okay."


"Thank you."


"Don't get carried away and get lost."


"It's okay, I'm not a child."


"No, that kind of collecting can get you so focused that you don't know where you are."


"Even Master?"


"Yeah. I was just starting out."


"Surprising. Master is having trouble getting home......."


I almost laughed as I imagined Master standing there, musing.


I look down in a panic.


When I returned home, I first went to report to sister. She said, "Good." Then I started to prepare the food. Master was feeling a little tired, so I had to make sure he ate well.


I put the ingredients into the pot and after a while, I heard a heavy banging on the front door.


I went to the kitchen entrance.


"I'm from the government office. Open the door."


I can't see much from this position, but it looks like there are several people standing there.


"You must be Harris. I'll need you to accompany me to the town hall."


He said in a tone of voice that didn't need a reply.


Master stroked his chin and sounded annoyed.


"I'm about to have dinner, can't it be tomorrow?"


I learned many things from sister while learning to write. The town of Norn is directly ruled by the king, Candir IV, so the various rules and regulations of the country are properly observed.


Compared to towns ruled by aristocrats, they are not treated unreasonably. It is said that the king tries his best to treat everyone the same. Sister said that the king is an honorable king who tries not to be preferential.


Gerald-san, who governs Norn under the king's order, seems to be a man who loves rules.


The guildmaster was a friendly person, but what kind of face does Gerald-san have? After all, does he always have a serious face?


"Can you tell me what kind of business you are here for?"


Master looks grumpy.


"You are suspected of using counterfeit money."


"You've got to be kidding me. I would never do such a thing."


"Let's go to the town hall and talk about it. Let's go."


Someone outside put his hand on the Master's arm.


They take him away!


"Master!"


I couldn't help but shout.


"Don't worry. I'll be right back. Just don't burn the pot."


Master sounded cheerful. But I have a bad feeling.


I look alternately at the kitchen and at Master.


It's all right. It shouldn't burn yet.


I run toward Master with the big spoon that stirs the pot.


"Master. Please bend over a little."


"What's wrong?"


"Please, just bend down a little bit."


Master tilted his head and bent forward a little.


Good. I don't care about the people outside with the stern faces.


I put the hand that wasn't holding the spoon over Master's arm and stood tall.


I pressed my lips to his forehead, remembering how my mom used to do it, "May you come back soon, safely."


When I pulled my face away, my eyes met Master's.


"I have some stew ready and waiting for your return."


My face almost scrunched up.


I turned around and ran into the kitchen. I put a spoon in the pot and stirred it in a circular motion.


I heard a muffled voice.


"Well then, I have no choice but to accompany you. I'd appreciate it if you could get this done as quickly as possible."


The sound of a door slamming shut echoed through the room.


Why was Master taken away?


There must be some mistake for such a kind Master to be suspected.


He has a sharp look in his eyes, his mouth is always set in a grim line, and he has a little scar on his right eyebrow, and his manner of speaking can be a bit blunt. But he is a good person.


When I turned around, I saw sister standing at the entrance. She looks pale.


"Master will be all right, right?"


I looked at sister biting her lip and my anxiety grew and grew.



PREV | NEXT