Chapter 27: Training Newcomers


TL: Scaramochi


***


When I arrived at the guild, I found that there were no knights guarding the entrance, and I was easily able to get in.


When I called out at the counter, a familiar voice answered.


"Oh, sorry. Please wait a moment."


After a moment, Jonathan comes out from the back.


"Harris. Welcome back."


I hand him the receipt.


"Indeed. Then, I'll add five coppers to your reward."


"Can I withdraw money?"


"You are indeed a quick ear. Don't worry. We're state-owned, in case you're wondering, and we're just checking to make sure."


I point to the back of the room.


"Yes. The Comptroller Knight is investigating right now. But you can take your silver."


"Well, then, I'll take 35 copper coins, please."


"Well, okay. And any message for Comba?"


A subtle silence ensues.


"Hm? Comba just came in and asked me to take a message for him when Harris comes in. Something about setting up a fixed party for the time being."


That rascal, what the hell is he talking about?


"But it's rare to have a party with a scout as the leader. Oh, no, Harris is a veteran, so it's no wonder."


"Isn't it? We're in different classes. Oh, if you have another good party to join in the vanguard, why don't you introduce him to them?"


Jonathan looks difficult.


"There are no vacancies in either the Auris or Shinove parties, you know. And for Comba, the levels are too different. Other than that, we don't have what I would call a fixed party. The guild leader says we have to do something about training the newcomers too."


Unless there is something wrong, they don't want to have newcomers. Especially if they are going to be diving in dungeons. They would definitely be a burden, and they would be working in shallower water than usual. That means a decrease in income. If there is a vacancy for some reason, there will be a replacement, but if it is as big as those two units, newcomers will not be welcome.


"Even the party that was wiped out the other day wouldn't have turned out like that if someone had guided them. It seems like it's hard for the survivors. Especially at Archer Tomas's place. I heard that he still has a small child. That's right. Why don't you take care of the newcomers, Harris? There are also mage and warrior, and in the first layer, even if the rest are all newcomers, they should be fine, right? And with Harris there, we'll not afraid of traps."


Jonathan is excited at his own idea.


I put one elbow on the counter and poke my cheekbone.


"Hey, it's a great idea, but what about my will? I'm not going to go to the trouble of doing something that reduces my income where I can dive and scavenge for treasure chests all by myself."


"What if the condition is that all the income from the dungeon belongs to you, Harris?"


I lost my patience and started laughing.


"Even the stuff that comes out of the first level is a big earner for the newcomers. I'd like to see any newcomers who's willing to work for free."


Jonathan makes a serious face.


"Well then, it would be nice if you could accept it under those conditions."


"No, even if I'm good with it, you know the other two have their own opinions, right?"


"No, I don't think Harris would say no. You are a savior, after all."


"Well, that may be true. But there really is a shortage of talent, isn't there?"


"That's right. Veterans in combat positions get pulled out by the military. If it's just newbies, we'll have accidents like the other day. That's why, I'll be in touch with you soon, thank you very much."


"Hey, hey. Are you serious?"


"I'm serious. We've been talking about a newcomer training corps for a while now, but we've been talking about not having the right people for the job. We were too caught up in the stereotype that leaders must be warriors."


Jonathan smiles smugly. I feel like I've been set up somehow.


"I don't care if it's on the first layer, it can be someone else. Why don't you just put Zoe with Dennis? Zoe's relative are former adventurers, aren't they?"


"You know him well. Indeed, Moore is a former mage and Zoe's uncle. He's retired and now rents out a few houses."


"Right? Then, why don't you ask them?"


And just when I was thinking that it would be even better if they were wiped out, Jonathan grimaced.


"Well, there are some things I can't say because of my position. You know that, don't you, Harris?"


"Well, nevermind. At any rate, since you've mentioned it, I'll take care of it once. I don't think there are too many people out there who like that condition. You can call me when the members have gathered."


"Understood. Oh, yes, this is from the guildmaster."


Jonathan hands me a paper bag.


"I'm sorry about the leftover, but I'm just passing on a message that you seem to like them so much."


I look inside and see the same pastry I got the other day.


I don't remember telling him I liked it that much.


"Oh. It was for Tiana-chan. When Gina-san came to take care of her moving a few days ago, she was entrusted to me, and the guildmaster and her had a lot of fun talking about that pastry."


"Huh?"


I ain't had that kind of small talk with the guildmaster. I hope Tiana's not being rude.


But why did she talk to the second most important person in this town after the Mayor?


I was holding the paper bag and watching Jonathan's moving mouth.



PREV | NEXT