Chapter 25: Who Are You?


TL: Scaramochi


***


"Brother. As you see."


I looked down at the man literally rubbing his forehead on the ground, pleading. Dirt and dust covered his face and he looked terrible.


"Yeah?"


The place is just outside of Paro Village.


It was still light, even though the sun was about to set, and villagers on their way home from field work were passing by with suspicious looks on their faces.


I looked down at the young man in front of me, bewildered and cold.


I think it's Comba ...... one of the three guys in the group, who has been flat-footed since a while ago.


"I accidentally overheard Zoe's b*stard's plan and asked my mother what to do about it, but she got insanely angry. She said, "Comba, a man rewards his savior for saving his life." I tried to inform her about it, but she went out and......"


I knew it was Comba. You must be old enough to be mad at your mother.


Comba looked up fearfully and rubbed his forehead on the ground again when his eyes met mine.


"Anyway, I came to follow my brother and saw Zoe and the others returning in the distance, so I quickly hid behind a tree. They were walking in a good mood, so I figured it must have been after a successful raid."


"So?"


"I'm not very smart, so I didn't know what to do. My mom told me to help Harris properly or never come home again. I looked for brother, but he never came back to town, and I never heard of any bodies like him being found, so I've been waiting around here for a long time."


"I don't believe it."


"I'm not lying, brother. They took your gold, didn't they? Then let's get it back. I'll join you."


What an unexpected turn of events.


Should I admit that they took my gold or not?


It's hard to say without knowing Norn's situation.


"In the meantime, I have a question."


"Please ask me anything you want, brother."


"What's this "brother" thing?"


"No, no. I mean, you know, like a real big brother, but with more of a familiarity or respect, or something like that."


I don't understand the language of young people these days.


"So, there was another guy, wasn't there? Ted, right? What happened to that guy?"


"He said he's not suited for it, so he's quitting the adventuring business."


"So you want me to be my apprentice?"


"Yes. I want to repay brother's kindness, and I will train under him and become a full-fledged adventurer!"


"Hmm."


"I'll do anything for brother! Zoe is b*stard. He's such a scum for resenting brother just because he embarrassed himself. I'll testify to everything they're up to. I don't care if I have to go in there and get them back. Let's do it."


I thought as I looked at Comba and braced myself to respond in case he tried to cut me off.


Don't let appearances deceive you, but I don't think that this country-boy Comba has any complicated plans.


It is unnatural that this Comba's actions were sent by Zoe.


If Comba sues, there is no doubt that he will be in trouble.


Whatever he took, the attack on the street is a crime. He will have to say goodbye to his wrist.


Do he still think the gold is real and let me surprise them from behind when I come with him to get it back?


"No need for that."


"Brother! You have to believe me! I'm trying to repay you!"


"No, Zoe and his friends didn't take my gold coins."


"Huh?"


I show him the receipt from the Marc Chamber.


"Hey, can you read?"


"I can read simple things. Ten gold coins ...... but what is this word?"


"It means they received it for sure. You see the mark of the Marc Chamber here, right? That mean I'm delivering it well."


"But Zoe looked like he'd done it. How in the world did you do that?"


"That's a secret. Well, when you're my age, there are a lot of ways to do things."


"As expected of brother. I'm numb to it."


"So, I appreciate the sentiment, but I don't need your help. And, I respect you going out of your way to worry about me."


Comba looks up and gives me a troubled look.


"So you're reject me?"


"Oh?"


"I have to repay brother. If I don't, I can't go home."


"You know? When you form a party, it's natural to help your members. It's not about repaying a favor. Tell your mother I said so. That's will be okay, right?"


"It's not good."


Comba folds in here and there.


"Zoe and the others failed, but they attacked brother. I'm sure they'll try something again. That's why I'm going to be brother's shield. I'm strong, so I can at least buy some time. So, here I am."


Comba rubs his head again, or maybe for three times.


I quickly walked out of the room.


"Oh, brother......."


Stumblingly, Comba chased after me.


"Even if you say no, I'll follow you on my own!"


"Then don't ask me!"


"No, but I should ask brother's permission, right?"


Damn, I'm in trouble.


"Do whatever you want. I won't care if you get hurt because of it."


"So that means I've got your permission? Injuries are not a problem. In fact, if I got hurt defending brother, my mother would praise me!"


Comba's face glows with dust all over his face.


"You could die, you know."


"If I didn't have brother's help, I'd be a Demon Wolf's poop by now. So I'm fine. By the way, brother. Are you going to walk through the night?"


"Of course. We won't sleep until we get to Norn."


"Yes, I understand. I'm 100 times more energetic now that brother has recognized me. I'm not sleepy at all."


"All right, wipe your face. And if you're going to be a shield, you're going to have to cover my left rear."


"I'm sorry that I'm not very good. But I'm going to learn a little bit from now on, so please give me a break."


I knew that not all three of them had turned against me, but for some reason I felt a rush of exhaustion and I turned my head upward.


I felt like I had been looking up at the sky a lot lately.



PREV | NEXT