Chapter 24: Eilia


TL: Scaramochi


***


I slept well.


I woke up and for a moment I was confused when I didn't see Tiana next to me, but I soon remembered where I was.


Breakfast at the service was made up, so it was neither too good nor too bad.


I finished eating, thinking how grateful I was for Tiana's breakfast, which came out just in time for me to wake up.


I felt a tingling sensation, as if the wound I had stabbed myself with in order to awaken from magic was deeper than I had expected.


I was curious, so I went to the temple.


After paying for the lodging, I have only about two coppers left, but I have a membership card for the Society of Friends, for which I am very grateful.


But in the end, I didn't turn in my membership card.


When I arrived at the temple, I bumped into Eilia.


"Oh. Harris. It's been a while."


"Eilia. Thank you for your help the other day."


"How is Tiana doing?"


"Yes. Thanks to you. She is all better. She's too energetic."


Eilia looks around.


"I'm working today, so I'm alone. I'm a little bit injured."


Eilia's shapely brow furrows as she shows her hand wrapped in a cloth.


"You looked like you were in therapy. Pardon me. Let me give you the treatment."


"Are you sure?"


"Yes."


This is the first time I've had Eilia treat me. I had no injuries on my last adventure, so I hadn't had the chance.


I sit down on the bench in front of the fountain and Eilia's hands gently wrap around mine.


After a few moments of beautiful murmurs, Eilia's hands are enveloped in a soft orange glow, and my hands become warm and tender.


I had nothing else to do, so I observed Eilia's long eyelashes and beautiful vermilion lips.


I wanted to touch them.


The treatment went without a hitch, leaving a faint mark on my hand and a clean wound.


Eilia opens her closed eyes.


When she saw the effect of her magic, she smiled with satisfaction.


"Thank you very much."


"No, no. It is my mission to heal my sick and wounded friends."


Heh. So I'm treated as a friend, too, in a manner of speaking?


"If you don't mind my asking, what is this wound?"


I explain that I stabbed myself with a knife to awaken me from the sleep spell. Eilia's expression turned grim.


"I know you have your circumstances, but please don't take it too hard. If there is anything I can do for you, please don't hesitate to ask. There are very few people like Harris who care for the weak and helpless."


I would think twice about forcing Tiana's hand. If she tattle to Eilia in tears that she had been groped by me, she would surely kill me.


I had learned my lesson from the Gina incident, so I kept my face as serious as possible and looked at Eilia.


What a waste of a good woman, isn't she?


Well, she's probably the type of person who would only give herself to a husband she's committed to for life.


It would be better not to ask her to go out with me for one night, even as a joke.


"......Um. It pains me to ask Harris about these things, but can I ask you something as if I'm clutching at straws?"


"Excuse me?"


"Have you ever heard of elaborate counterfeit money?"


I look blankly at her. It took a little effort to keep my guard up 


"Yeah. I've heard rumors about that."


"You don't know the details, do you? No, I know that Harris is not a man of evil deeds. However, he seems to be familiar with many things in the world, so I was wondering if you might have heard about it....."


"You don't have to worry about it. I am a professional who only hears about a lot of things. As for making fake gold coins, you need a large facility, and it is not something that can be done by an individual. Surprisingly, I think it is done by aristocrats and big merchants."


"I guess that's true."


Eilia leans forward.


"Yeah. I heard that the people who use fake gold coins are also left to seemingly serious people. You see, if a thief like me uses a lot of money, the other person will be wary of me."


"I am very sorry about the other day."


"No, no. That's not what I'm trying to say, I'm just saying that if you're looking for a fake money-spender, it's better to look for someone who is, on the surface, a hard businessman."


"I see."


Eilia is listening intently, almost as if she is taking notes.


"But Eilia, a priestess, is so concerned about such worldly matters?"


"Yes. I was asked for advice by someone."


Someone, huh? Since she even bothered to ask me, she must be a very close friend of her.


I guess no man around would leave a woman this good alone.


I'm jealous of you. I wonder how much she is in love with him, that she would even bow down to a guy like me to gather information from.


"Harris. Please. If you know something, please let me know."


Apparently, she thought I was thinking of something stupid and was hesitating whether to tell her or not.


"Hmm. It's not a story I can be sure of."


"I wouldn't do anything that would cause trouble for Harris. So please."


Eilia squeezes my hand with both hands as she just finished my treatment.


"I don't care if it's a rumor or something."


"Don't get your hopes up too high. I live in the town of Norn, and I've heard rumors about someone bringing fake money in this direction."


"Really?"


"That was a while ago. It's possible that it's already in circulation, someone may have one or two pieces without knowing it. If you check and find a small number, tell that certain person that they may have received it without knowing it."


"Ah. Attention to detail. That is indeed Harris. I didn't even know they existed until I was told about them. I will pass that to other as well. Thank you very much, Harris. I will thank you again."


Eilia bowed deeply and took off at a trot.


I speak to her in my mind, "No, no, you don't have to thank me."


If Eilia's boyfriend or someone else can find the counterfeit money from Zoe and the others, that's good.


I get up and walk away, whistling as I go.


My steps are light as I see the prospect of getting rid of Zoe and the others a little more successfully.



PREV | NEXT