Chapter 21: Collateral


TL: Scaramochi


***


Tiana's mood was back on track and I went out to the guild. I reported to them that I had rescued a cat, just in case. It was forbidden to take on work directly without going through the guild. If circumstances dictated that I did the job first, I would pay the guild a commission.


It shouldn't be a problem if it was as simple as rescuing a kitten, but that pastry must have been worth a good price. It is obviously a luxury item. I don't know exactly what it costs, but it could be as much as a silver coin.


Well, a thief is in a weak position after all. As long as I did my work in front of everyone, it would be better to declare myself so that the impression will not be bad.


"I'm listening."


Jonathan laughed.


"Okay. I don't think you have to be that strict, though. You didn't have to go through the guild."


"Well, they gave me a big assortment of sweets as a thanks."


"These buttery ones?"


"Yes. It has honey in it, and it's a little salty. You've had it, right?"


"I should share it with the guildmaster. Even though it lasts a long time, but I can't eat it all by myself."


Jonathan suddenly looks troubled.


"Hmm. If that's the case......."


"What?"


"No. I heard that one of those pastries costs a copper coin."


"Huh?"


"What box did you get?"


I indicate with my hand the approximate size.


"Then, it's definitely more than two silver coins, maybe three. With that amount of money, I can't afford to close my eyes......."


I toss three copper coins out on the counter.


Jonathan puts the coppers away with trepidation, then brings out a thick ledger and writes in pen.


He points me to it.


"I've made the proper entries here. Contracting fee from Harris for the rescue of the kittens, three copper coins."


"So, do you have any work for me?"


Jonathan put the ledger on the shelf and brought out another stack of papers. He flipped through it, but stopped at one of the sheets.


"How about this one? This is where you deliver the money to the Capital."


Ten gold coins to the Marc Chamber in the Royal Castle by the end of the next seven days.


The reward was eight silver coins. Not a bad deal.


"I don't think this kind of job has ever been offered to me before."


"As I said the day before yesterday, we're short on staff right now."


Still staring at Jonathan's face, he raised his hands.


"To be honest, I couldn't ask Harris to do it until now."


"Because I might take it away?"


"Oh no. Don't look so scared. Ten gold coins is a lot of money. It's a rule that I don't ask people who are light, not just Harris."


Indeed, if a contractor disappears with 10 gold coins, the guild must pay the compensation.


They would be afraid to ask me without a guarantee.


Houses are hard to redeem, and I never had that kind of collateral before.


But now I have. Tiana. Conversely, she is worth that much.


The last trip from Capital was slow because I was with Tiana, but this time I'm alone and it's only 4 days one way if I hurry.


"I accepted. I'll get ready and leave in the afternoon, so please leave this case accepted."


"Thank you."


"But what happened to the Auris and Synove units, the two main units here, when you say you're shorthanded?"


"Both are on expeditions. They are exterminating spriggans and collecting cockatrice claws. They are going out right after Harris went out to support the party in Capital."


"Hmm. It must be hard for you. But thanks to you, I've got a lot of work to do now."


"I'm really glad you're here, Harris. We were just talking about whether we need to bring in someone from Capital for this job."


"Well, I'll have to ask you to play me a bonus if I complete the job."


I say flippantly.


I never thought I would be having this conversation with Jonathan.


"I'll let the guildmaster know."


I raise my hand and leave the guild.


***


The three of us, including Gina who had just returned, had lunch.


"I'll be gone for a few days, but don't go out at night. Then, have Gina go shopping with you."


I turned to Gina and bowed.


"Leave it to me. I'll take good care of it."


"Are you worried?"


I calm down Tiana, who looks disappointed.


"If I'm not here, someone might try to kidnap you and sell you somewhere. It's a peaceful country town, but strangers come and go."


"Yes, Master. I understand."


Tiana goes to the kitchen to wash up and Gina comes up to her.


"You trust me that much?"


"Honestly, I don't know. Well, if anything goes wrong, I have a borrowed crystal. I can follow you anywhere. If I find out you've betrayed me, then......"


"Oh, don't threaten me beyond that. I'll take good care of your precious Tiana. After all, she's my sister, too."


***


I get ready.


I put on my familiar leather armor, thick-soled boots, and the cloak Tiana had fitted me with. A shortsword is clasped around my waist and knives are tucked into my shoulders.


Although not as dangerous as in a dungeon, there might be wild animals or hunters.


When I was about to go outside, Tiana grabbed my cloak and pulled it on.


"What happen?"


"......."


She stares at me, but doesn't say anything.


I try to look back at her, but she's still holding onto the cape.


She seems to be fidgeting and a little bit smiling.


Ah, I see.


I grabbed Tiana's shoulders, pulled her close, and patting her forehead.


Her face turned bright red as she tried to smile as much as she could.


"Have a nice trip, Master. Take care."


Gina's grinning face was disgust me, but I maturely went to work.



PREV | NEXT