Chapter 22: Pursuit


TL: Scaramochi


***


I receive 10 gold coins from Jonathan in a separate room instead of the usual counter. It is not often that I get such a large batch of real gold coins myself.


The other day, before the distribution in Capital, I saw 24 coins, but I only saw them.


10 coins are heavy to carry. So I struck them one by one. The sound was high and clear. In other words, they are the real thing, unadulterated. It would be a disaster if they were lost or taken. That's why I put them away in a safe place.


After leaving the town gate, I take the main road.


It's a bit of a detour, but it's safer because the cavalry patrols this road at regular intervals.


No one would attack me in old armor and a cloak with a seam, as I look like I have no money, but it's better to be careful.


I have plenty of time to meet the deadline.


Winter is approaching and the sun goes down earlier than when I traveled with Tiana. Fortunately, the weather was good and the moon was out, so I continued walking into the night.


The streets, which had been reasonably empty during the day, were deserted, and I was left alone on the road with only a long, hazy shadow.


I pass the Oz Village just after midnight. It is a normal itinerary to leave Norn in the morning and stay at the inn in the village.


I try not to stay at village inns too often, partly to save money, of course, but it is also because there is a lot of trouble with people losing things in the shared rooms.


I don't think there are many people who can steal my stuff, but it becomes a problem when someone's stuff goes missing in the room.


The security guards in this area know my occupation, so I am the first one they suspect.


I walked all night to the Paro Village, one stop away, where I planned to have breakfast and take a nap in the inn's dining room.


If I could get a table before the place started to get crowded with the day's guests, there would be no complaints.


By staggering my time with the other travelers, I also aimed to stagger the timing of the pursuers' attack.


It may come as a surprise, but the streets are more dangerous during the daytime. If I try to ambush them at night, there is no one walking around in the first place.


It was about the time when the eastern sky began to turn white.


I was beginning to feel a little tired after walking through the night, and a feeling of intense sleepiness overtook me.


I felt something strange, but I couldn't resist and dropped to one knee on the ground.


The ground was like a soft bed, inviting me to sleep.


I shook my head and tried to wake myself up, but I finally fell asleep lying on the ground.


I wake up with a start.


My head is like a thick pea soup, and I can't think straight.


I remember this feeling. This ...... is what it feels like to be enchanted into sleep.


I pull out a knife from my shoulder and stick it into the back of my hand.


The pain awakens me all at once.


I reach into my pocket and find that the leather pouch containing the money is gone.


I pound the ground with my fist.


I get up and look around, but there is no one in sight.


I examine my entire body.


My shortsword is still there, my boots are still on, and my backpack with portable food and other supplies has not been taken.


Only the leather bag with 10 gold coins was missing.


No clue as to which way the thief went.


I thought I was on my guard, but maybe I was getting my hopes up somewhere.


Walking at night to stagger the time of day was effective against a man who had no particular target in mind, but it was pointless against a man who had his sights set on me.


I heard a rattling sound as I approached.


A farmer was riding in a wagon.


He was probably on his way to the fields.


He raised his hand to greet me.


I returned the greeting and thought about it as I started walking down the road, trying not to look suspicious.


The sleep spell would not last very long.


The fact that he had so deftly taken the leather bag from my pocket during that time must have been his intention from the very beginning.


It shouldn't be difficult to inflict a fatal wound on a sleeping me, but why didn't he do it?


If I was going to ransack the place in an uncertain state, not knowing when I would wake up, it would be safer to kill him.


Were you aware of the presence of the farmer in the wagon?


You had time to escape, so why would you care?


That thought came to my mind when I saw the Paro Village in the distance.


He had no intention of killing me from the start. If villagers find my body, I'm just the poor victim. Even though I would be at fault for being robbed of my money, it would be hard to hold them accountable. On the other hand, if he keep me alive, he can make me suffer even more. No one would believe me if I told them I had been robbed. No matter how much credit has improved recently, it's impossible.


If things goes like this, I would have to pay for the ten gold coins and give up Tiana.


The thought naturally made my steps heavier.


I feel the weight of my boots more than ever.


I remembered the look I had felt on my back when I had taken Gina home.


It all made sense.


An adventurer could have found out about this delivery mission.


After I left, they could casually ask about what happened to the mission. If someone accept it, all they have to do is go through the backstreets and get there first.


It would be Zoe who set this up.


I couldn't help but giggle.


It was perfect. I was a lousy adventurer.


I guess he was confident that he could squelch me.


I don't have any proof. I have only a series of deductions. There is also little I can do when I back to Norn.


However I still speed up my weary steps.


First, let's go to the Paro Village and eat.


Fortunately, the copper coins in my backpack are safe.


The criminals may change their minds and decide to kill me after.


From here on, it is a straight road to the Capital.


I may even have to search without sleep during the dungeon tours, so I'm going to aim for the Capital without sleep or rest.


I walked into the village as the chickens announced morning.



PREV | NEXT