Chapter 20: I Want To Cry


TL: Scaramochi


***


[Tiana's POV]


♡♡♡


"Haaaa."


I sighed deeply as I transferred the water from the well into the tub.


Master might have hated me.


Tears welled up again and my vision became blurry.


I had no intention to do so. But as a result, I had asked him to do something that would put him in danger.


I didn't ask him directly, but what I did was almost the same thing.


At the time, I couldn't think of anything else because I was worried about the cat and the poor girl.


I still feel a twinge in my heart when I remember the brick falling and shattering into pieces.


I shudder to think if that had been the Master.


Yesterday, I blamed Master for giving away the antidote to someone else without taking care of himself, but now I am the worst for putting him in another dangerous situation.


Yesterday, I did something else, like inviting Gina-san to my house without his permission and without consult with Master. It would have been so impolite that I could have been slapped for not being so outspoken. But Master didn't seem to mind at all.


I really hate myself for taking advantage of his generosity.


I couldn't get any needlework done last night because I was worried about the conversation between Master and Gina.


My heart was stirred when I saw them talking amicably about things in the world I don't know.


Maybe it wasn't just Master's open-mindedness that made him give away the antidote.


He must like Gina-san, who is sharp and cool.


I'm terrible at needlework, I can't read or write, and I'm skinny and boyish. On the other hand, Gina-san can use magic and is an adult woman. I am not even close to her.


Master arranged for such an amazing Gina-san to teach me how to write.


He knew I was looking at the children with envy when I returned from the temple.


I remember that before I was sold into slavery, they didn't take me seriously when I asked to learn to write. I didn't have that kind of time to do that because I have to take care of my younger siblings, prepare meals, and clean the house.


That's why I couldn't help but envy the children my age around me who were learning at the village house of worship.


If my father had been alive, he would have let me attend. But my new father told me it was useless. He was terribly angry that a woman who couldn't even do proper housework didn't need to study.


I don't know if that was the true reason or not, but I was neglected, and towards the end I wasn't allowed to eat much even though I made my own meals.


Compared to those days, I am very happy now.


I can't see any scars on the cheeks of my face reflected on the surface of the water in the tub. If I stare into the mirror, I can faintly make them out, but they are mostly gone.


And then there are the blue gemstone earrings that swing below my ears. I looked like some young lady. I think the only girl who had such nice things was the daughter of the village chief's.


"Hey. Make me some tea."


I turned around to see Master peeking out from the back doorway.


I still can't read his emotions from his tone of voice or his expression.


"Yes, Master. I will make it in right away."


Wiping my tears with my sleeve, I walks into the kitchen and boils the water.


I puts the tea leaves in the pot and pours the hot water into it, then carries it to the living room table along with the cups.


On the table was an unfamiliar box.


I prepares the tea before Master came and tries to go downstairs when he say,


"Bring me another cup."


I understood that he meant that I should prepare a refill and placed the second cup in front of Master.


"No, no. That's for you. Sit there."


Oh. I get scolded.


Well, that's something I have to accept.


I wonder if I'll be whipped after the scolding. ......Then, I sit down on the seat across from him.


Master's hand reaches out and opens the lid of a box I've never seen before.


Inside was a row of ripe ears of wheat the color of.


"These pastries were delivered from the house where I rescued the cat. You can eat them, too. I had one earlier and it was quite good."


Master took one from the box and put it in his mouth.


He bit into it and let it run in his mouth for a while before taking a sip of tea.


"This is all you have. Don't be shy."


The delicious aroma makes me reach for it.


It crumbles in my mouth and the buttery aroma spreads. Next came a gentle sweetness, followed by a slight saltiness at the end.


I had never eaten anything like this before.


Is this what you call a pastry? It was very tasty, but the pastry crumbled easily and pieces fell on the tablecloth.


Oh, I'm so embarrassed.


I was embarrassed. I'll be seen as ill-mannered.


I looked up from the pieces scattered in front of me and saw that Master had just picked up the pieces scattered and put them in his mouth.


When he noticed my gaze, he looked embarassed.


"What a waste of such good food, isn't it?"


With a slightly embarrassed look on his face, Master resumed picking up the pieces.


I try to suppress a giggle and pick up a piece of the pastry I spilled and put it in my mouth.


Even though it is broken into small pieces, it is still delicious. The good smell and sweetness made me feel happy.


"Do you like it?"


"Yes. It's delicious. I've never had it before."


"I see. Then eat as much as you want."


"But it's for Master."


"I wouldn't have helped her if you hadn't started talking like that."


"I'm really sorry I said something I shouldn't have."


"What do you have to be sorry for?"


"I put Master in danger. Since yesterday, I've been doing a lot of selfish things. You're really angry, aren't you?"


Master took up the cup and took a sip.


"I'm not angry. In fact, I think it's pretty funny."


"Funny?"


"Yeah. You were so down earlier, but you're totally into this pastry, aren't you?"


I stop my hand that was about to reach for the second pastry because Master tried to take it too.


Ahh. I can't believe I'm the first to reach for the second when Master has only had one!


My cheeks are hot.


Master giggled, put another in my hand, and got up from his seat.


"I told you earlier. Don't be shy. I'm going out for a bit. I'll be back by noon."


Then I ate three more.


What am I going to do now......?



PREV | NEXT