Chapter 19: The Cat And The Smoke


TL: Scaramochi


***


Afterwards, Gina and I agreed on some details. I would ask her to pay for the actual cost of food and offered Gina one of our spare rooms and moved the sofa from the living room to that room. For the time being, she would have to sleep on the sofa.


After putting away her personal belongings, Gina left, saying that she would inform her students.


I took Tiana with me to buy the wax tablets she would need to practice her letters. Tiana is in a good mood as she gets some cute wax plates for the kids.


When we left the store, a crowd had gathered at the spire attached to the temple. Everyone is looking up at the spire and doing something exciting, and from time to time there are screams and groans.


As I was heading home, Tiana pulled on my sleeve.


"Um. Master. Would you like to go see what happened?"


"Hmm? You're surprisingly observant, aren't you?"


"I think she's in some kind of trouble. She's making that kind of noise."


I wanted to say, "Leave that thing alone and let's go home." but Tiana, who was looking at me with a curious look and concern, wasn't about to move.


"Okay, we'll just going to check on her for a minute."


"Yes!"


Tiana's back as she runs off, it looks like she's going to do more than just check on her.


I let out a breath and slowly followed her. As I approached, I found that it wasn't a big deal.


Apparently, her kitten had climbed up to the top of the temple spire and couldn't get down. It was meowing at the window of the gazebo.


A neatly dressed girl, about six or seven years old, was bursting into tears.


The brick spires are more than three times the height of the temple.


The temple itself, with it's magnificent columns, glared at the surrounding houses.


In other words, the spire is quite tall. If the kitten was stand still, it might be treated since it was very close to the temple, but if the kitten fell, it would likely die rather instantly.


"What's wrong? Still haven't found the key?"


"That's what I haven't opened in a while and I don't know where I keep it......"


She is rattling the sturdy wooden door. It looks like it would be difficult to smash through, as the edges are reinforced with steel plates. There is an opening at the bottom, so it looks like the kitten got in through here.


"Master!"


Tiana comes up to me and looks up at me. She looks at me and says that. But you know, if I unlock the temple in front of everyone, anything will happens to me in the future. They'll suspect me.


She saw the rejection in my expression and started to say something outrageous.


"Can I go and help you?"


"Eh?"


"I was always good at climbing trees. Thanks to Master, I'm so much better and my legs are getting better, I feel like I can climb on it."


"No. Where in the world do you think you're going to find a tree this tall? Besides, if you climb it while dressed like that, you'll be in full view from below."


She is wearing nothing more than a knee-length kantou gown with a string tied around her waist.


Tiana's cheeks turn red as she huffs at my point.


She had told me to change her underwear right in front of her, but she's embarrassed to see her own.


Well, I'd be in trouble if she didn't.


"But ....."


Tiana looks up, unexpectantly.


"If you fall, you'll die. So, no."


There's a whoosh, as if the cat has been ruffled by the wind.


"I don't have a choice. I'll go."


"Ah. That's what I mean....."


I took a drink from the bag I slung over my shoulder and let Tiana hold it.


As I approached the steeple, I put my hand on the brick while being watched by everyone around.


I climbed up in a heap.


The steeple had been built many years ago and was rickety here and there, but as long as I had a place to put the tip of my finger, I could climb it. However, sometimes the bricks would slip out of place, which was makes my heart jumped.


I shouted downwards.


"Stay away from the bricks, they're falling off!"


After a few heartbreaking moments, I finally reach the window of the gazebo near the top of the spire.


I grab onto the edge of the window and rest for a bit.


I looked inside and saw a drop lid at the edge of the floor.


It must have been closed by some accident and prevented me from climbing down.


I picked up the kitten, which was now completely frightened and quiet, threw it into the bag, and climbed down to the bottom, taking twice as long as it had taken to climb up.


The ground was littered with broken bricks.


I walked away as everyone applauded, and when I handed the white kitten to the girl, she hugged it and rubbed it on her cheek.


"Thank you."


As always, I turns my back on the girl, not wanting to ask the child for a fee for my labor.


Tiana came in looking a little pale.


"Master. I am sorry."


Tiana's gaze was met with a scattering of dismembered bricks.


I guess she thinks that one wrong move and I could have been a bloody mess over there.


Well, it's not impossible.


In the dungeon, you sometimes have to climb up and down smoother walls to disarm traps. Sometimes there is a pool of highly acidic liquid below, or a skull stuck in a spear planted upward, making a clattering sound. Compared to that, a brick wall was too easy and make me sleepy.


After a bit of climbing, I would pull out a hand hook hidden inside my wrist and hook it, so there was almost no danger.


I was more concerned about taking my time. If I tried to make it look too fast and easy, I would make everyone nervous. It would be impossible not to be wary of a man for whom a vertical wall is not an obstacle.


So there was little reason for Tiana to be afraid. And yet, it was pitiful to see her walking with a downcast look on her face.


However, I couldn't just tell her that I was acting, and I had to figure out how to put her in a better mood.


Hmm, what should I do?



PREV | NEXT