Chapter 18: Teacher And Sister


TL: Scaramochi


***


Tiana is not so much a bad sleeper, but she rolls around in her sleep rather a lot. Her hem was turned up. Although she had gained some flesh, her legs were still thin, and even her underwear was visible. Fortunately or unfortunately, it's a pumpkin-like item with no sex appeal that Tiana has created.


If we go to the royal capital, we can get colorful underwear like that worn by high-class prostitutes.


I had thought that I would have to take them off right away, but perhaps I should think about it a little more?


The underwear she was wearing now was a sickening reminder that Tiana was a child, or at least not yet an adult woman.


Oh well, it would still be nice.


I tucked the strand of hair that hung on Tiana's cheek over her ear as she peacefully sighed in her sleep.


I'll save the good food for later, it'll taste even better.


The next morning, I woke up to the sound of Tiana getting out of bed. I continued to pretend to be asleep, but I knew exactly what she was doing.


She take out her earrings from the box on the bedside table and go to the mirror on top of the chest of drawers where I keep my clothes.


She puts on the earrings by the light leaking through the gap between the curtains and shakes her head from side to side in front of the mirror for a while without getting tired of it.


I go to the door and disarm the alarm system as I quietly sneak my footsteps out of the room.


It's not a problem for me to go out, but it would be a hassle if Tiana comes back and activates it.


Now that I'm awake, I take care of my lock-opening tools. One by one, I applied a small amount of oil and carefully polished them with pigskin.


In the meantime, the voices of conversation at a subdued volume and a nice smell drifted into the room.


As I finished dressing and walked out into the living room, I could clearly hear happy voices coming from the kitchen.


Apparently, Gina and Tiana were preparing breakfast together.


"Ah. Master. Good morning. Was it noisy by any chance?"


Tiana asks with a shrug of her head as she emerges from the kitchen entrance.


"No."


"You were tired yesterday, you can rest more comfortably."


"Well, yes. But when I smelled something good in the air, my stomach started growling."


I look out into the kitchen.


Gina, with her long hair wrapped in a cloth, was stirring the contents of the pot with a spoon.


"Ah, Harris. Good morning."


"Oh. Good morning."


"I'm here to help you prepare a meal in return for a night's lodging. Even though it looks like she doesn't need my help."


"That's not true. I enjoy cooking with you. Oh, Master. You'll just have to wait a little longer."


The usual breakfast menu was accompanied this morning by grilled mushrooms and bacon.


It seems the ingredients were provided by Gina. The thickly sliced mushrooms had a unique aroma and texture. Tiana seemed to like these mushrooms. She and Gina talked a lot about where they could be found and how to cook them.


I finished my breakfast while watching the two of them get acquainted with each other.


It was a little noisy, but not unpleasant.


When Tiana started to clean up, I asked her what she wanted to talk about.


"Are there any changes to your plans to leave this town?"


"Why? Like I told you yesterday, I'm not going to step out on my debts. I'll pay you when I get settled."


"No. You have some students here in town, and you have a good income too. I just wondered if you wouldn't regret throwing that away."


Gina shrugs.


"I would love to, but if I can't even pay my rent for the foreseeable future, I don't see any reason to stay in this town. I'm sure I have a reputation for being late on payments, and I doubt anyone will rent me a room."


"How about you just move in here?"


"You're not proposing me, right?"


Bang!!!


Tiana, who had just come to empty the plate of porridge, slipped her hand and made a loud noise.


"I'm sorry.."


Embarrassed, Tiana returns to the kitchen with the plate in her arms.


"That's a boring joke."


"Really? That's too bad. I guess it's more gentlemanly than asking me to pay you with something else instead of rent."


"I'm not going to make that suggestion. I'm telling you that's not what I meant."


"I know you didn't. But even if you are as good a person as Tiana says you are, I'm worried that there's something underhanded about letting me live here for free with nothing in return."


Well, I guess that's true. Nothing is more expensive than free.


"Yes, you're right. How about you teach Tiana how to write in exchange for rent? I could teach her myself, but if you have a real job, wouldn't that be better?"


"That's ...... not a bad suggestion."


"It's too late for her to go to school, and she don't have a lot of time to get it together when she's working on the house. It would be great if you could teach her in your little spare time."


After a few moments of silent contemplation, Gina eventually accepted the offer.


When I told Tiana about it, she clapped her hands and jumped up and down.


"Master. Thank you. I am very happy. Gina-sensei, please take care of me!"


"Oh, no, Sensei? You don't have to be in such awe."


"Well, then, sister Gina! I've always wanted an older sister. I can learn to write, I can have a sister, I'm so happy that I'm going crazy!"


"Sister?"


I was struggling to hold back my laughter as I looked at Tiana, who was shaking with delight, and Gina, who was bewildered.



PREV | NEXT