Chapter 27: Athena (Middle Part)

  

TL: Scaramochi


***


[Athena's POV]


Having formed Stardust, we were conquering the intermediate level labyrinth. 


Stardust's rapid progress didn't stop even in the intermediate level labyrinth, which we conquered in just three months. 


I didn't expect it to go so well, but I guess it was thanks to everyone's efforts. 


By that time, Stardust's name was well known among adventurers, and rumors began to circulate that we were a party of promising new stars. 


I, the leader of the group, was given the grandiose nickname "Golden Flower" in recognition of my abilities.


I was happy to be appreciated by those around me, but I also felt a sense of dread. 


I wondered if we were really worth it. 


Despite these fears, Stardust was promoted from the Bronze to the Silver rank for it's achievement in the intermediate level labyrinth. 


We were genuinely happy to have been promoted to Silver rank, and we were honestly pleased to know that we were on our way to becoming the world's best adventurer. 


At this rate, let's aim higher and higher. 


We can do it. 


We believed this and held out hope. 


But the pitfall was right in front of us. 


"Run away, Est!!!!" 


"Aaaaahhh?!!!!" 


That was when we were challenging the advanced labyrinth. 


At that time, no one could get to Est because he was surrounded by many monsters. 


The monsters attacked Est and fell down, badly wounded. While I was upset, Dale killed all the monsters that surrounded us. 


"Est! Hang on!" 


Est is badly wounded and a lot of blood is flowing from his body. 


If this continues, Est will die! 


In the midst of such fear, the calm Dale took appropriate measures. 


"Mirialia, freeze the wound with ice magic." 


"Ah, ah!" 


"Athena, pour the potion over his body and into his mouth as well." 


"Ah, ah!" 


Me and Mirialia do as Dale tells us to do. 


Then Est's complexion improved a little. 


"I've saved your life for the time being. Let's go back quickly and show him to the doctor." 


I carry Est on my back, Dale carries his luggage and we hurry back to the city. 


Then we went to the doctor and he examined Est. 


"It's all right now. He will wake up in time." 


"Thank you." 


Thanks to the doctor's advanced recovery magic, Est's body recovers. 


It seems there will be no scars left. 


"I'm sorry...... Est." 


At his sleeping side, I apologized profusely. 


I almost lost my childhood friend, Est, because of my mistake. 


If I didn't do this, I would have killed Est. 


I was unsure of what to do with Est. 


Est had become unable to keep up with the monsters in the middle level of the intermediate labyrinth. 


But he is an enchanter, so he doesn't have to fight. He can be very helpful just by casting enchant magic on me. 


However, I was the only one who thought so, and he felt guilty about his inability to fight. 


Perhaps that is why he was willing to do other things than fighting. 


To put it simply, it was a chore, but even so, I was grateful that he did it, and it was also true that he was helping me by volunteering to do troublesome things. 


However, the adventurers around him didn't take kindly to this, and would often call Est a "pussycat" or a "gold-digger". 


I couldn't bear to hear it and tried to warn them to stop, but Est stopped me. 


-- Don't worry about it, it's true. 


-- I'll be fine as long as everyone understands and Athena is angry with me. 


I couldn't say anything to Est, who was smiling bitterly. 


Est is a necessary part of Stardust. I was sure I thought so. 


But now that Est almost died, my feelings are shaken like a shimmer. 


I want to aim higher. 


But if I don't do anything, I will kill Est, who can't keep up with the tough battle, because of my selfishness. 


What should I do? 


The answer I arrived at was to expel Est from Stardust. 


I thought and thought and thought until my brain was fried, and that was the answer I came up with. 


It didn't matter if he hated me. I don't care if he abuse me. I don't care if he hate me. 


I wouldn't be able to fulfill my dream of becoming the world's greatest adventurer together, but it would be better than the death of my precious childhood friend. 


That's why I tell Est, 


"Est, I'm going to ask you to leave Stardust."


***


"I don't need that kind of money! I don't care if you regret banishing me later! 


With a face like an ogre, Est exits the party house with a vindictive cry. 


That's harsh. 


I should have known this was going to happen, but now that it's been said, it really hits home. 


I had never seen Est's angry face before. It was also the first time I heard him say something poisonous. 


And then I thought about it. 


I wondered if there was a better way. Was there a different way? 


I was overwhelmed with regret and remorse as I sipped my not-so-great drink. 


Then, suddenly, a light came on. 


Dale sat down in front of me. 


We talk a little and the topic turns to the three of us in the party. 


I told him that I had invited Frey, a former dragon head. 


Dale wasn't keen on the idea, but I had decided that Frey was the only one for me. 


Frey is a gold rank skill in my opinion, and for some reason, she likes me. 


I had been approached by Frey on several occasions. 


People called me selfish, but I was confident that I could control Frey. 


Yes, I couldn't afford to stumble here. 


I had to move forward. I must become stronger. 


I will be the best adventurer in the world. 


As I was about to get up from the chair, I wobbled and almost fell down, perhaps because of the alcohol I had consumed. 


Then, for some reason, Dale's face was right in front of my nose. 


(Ah, they do look a bit alike after all.......)


Feeling nostalgic for Dale's face, I passed out drunk.


***


With the new addition of Frey, Stardust was facing many problems. 


And the biggest problem was me. 


"What the hell are you doing? Get off your ass and get serious!" 


"I'm trying, I'm really trying! I'm trying, I'm really trying, I'm really trying!" 


My strength was far less than it had ever been. 


My body was too heavy to move as I wanted, and the monsters I used to slaughter with a single blow had to be attacked repeatedly to die. 


It was probably because of the lack of the enchant magic of Est. 


"Just the absence of the enchant magic makes such a difference!!!" 


I am terribly perplexed by the gap between my physical abilities now and when I had the magic enchanted by Est. 


It's different, everything is too different. 


My body moves later than I imagined. 


I felt the illusion that my body was not my own. 


It seems that Mirialia and Dale also felt a sense of discomfort, but not as much as I did.


They both quickly became accustomed to the absence of enchanted magic. 


Perhaps because I had been relying on Est's enchanting magic ever since I set out to become an adventurer, I had become accustomed to being enchanted it. 


The downside of Est's absence is not only the enchant magic. 


I had to carry my own baggage, which he had always carried for everyone else. 


After a monster battle, he would bring us drinks and towels right away, and there were no words of encouragement like, "Good night." 


I feel so deeply after he is gone. 


How grateful I am that Est had done the detailed work for me. 


But he is no longer here. Because I kicked him out. 


So from now on, I have to take things into my own hands. 


But I couldn't do it right away. 


Because I was too busy doing my own thing. 


I'm the leader of the party, so even though I'm forcing myself to be strong on the surface, inside I'm driven by frustration. 


I don't know what to do anymore. 


But thankfully, Dale took the initiative to take over for Est. Before, he would have said, "I'm so busy," but now, he is always looking out for me. 


He has been very helpful. 


The problem was not only mine, but also Frey's. 


She wasn't cooperative at all and would act arbitrarily, causing trouble for the party. 


However, I couldn't say much to her. 


It was because I felt guilty for disappointing Frey because I wasn't as good as I should have been. 


Frey joined the party because she was attracted by my strength. 


I was confident that I could defeat Frey. 


But when I opened the door, I found that I was the weakest in the party. 


That's why I couldn't say anything strong to Frey, but Dale gave her a warning instead of me. 


He should have been the leader, but I was very grateful. 


Thanks to his help, Frey didn't leave the party, but decided to stay. 


***


A month had passed since Frey joined the party. 


Stardust's reputation had fallen to the ground. 


One factor was that I was getting weaker and Frey and the party were not getting along. 


Another was that Est had suddenly become stronger. 


After being expelled from Stardust, Est was able to cast enchant magic on himself, and he had broken through the beginner level labyrinth by himself, and even the intermediate level labyrinth alone in no time. 


I was surprised, but at the same time, I'm happy. 


It was a good thing that he hadn't rotted away after leaving Stardust. It was good that he had learned how to fight and become stronger. 


I was happy in my heart. 


However, because of Est's breakthrough, Stardust was now seen by the adventurers around as a place where he couldn't be a part of. 


-- "Stardust was a fool for banishing Est."


-- "Stardust was a fool for ousting Est, and they owed everything to Est. Stardust, who had been riding high without realizing it, was a moron."


-- "The party was a bad idea to bring in Frey, who was a problem child. Athena, the leader, made a foolish choice."


--I "n the first place, Athena is a mere minnow without Est. What's with the "Golden Flower"?"


-- "What a promising new star!"


-- "Stardust has fallen to the ground."


-- "It's Est's time now."


That's what people thought of us. 


I myself was fine with it, but I felt bad that Dale and Mirialia were blamed because of me. 


They said they didn't mind at all, but I felt bitter about it. 


At that time, I met Est at the guild for the first time in a while. 


Est was a little more mature than before, but he looked gloomy. 


More to the point, he even looked insane. 


I called out to him, but he told me in a voice that contained hatred. 


"It's too late for you to ask me to come back now. You'll regret at best that you kicked me out." 


Oh, I regret it already. 


I'm the one who made you like this. 


Unable to bear the look of hatred directed at me by my childhood friend, I restrained the angry Frey and walked away from the guild as if to escape from Est.



PREV | NEXT