Chapter 18


TL: Scaramochi


***


[Rinka's POV]


--- "You said your name is Yanagi. You, don't hang around Kujo." 


--- "Who......? Who are you?" 


Yanagi glares at the guy. 


A face he never usually shows when he is with me. 


All of this must be because he is thinking of me.   


He doesn't seem to notice that I'm watching them from around the corner, lying that I still have help for the women's basketball team. 


"Hey, Kujo. Are you sure you want to do this? Didn't that guy like Kujo?" 


It was Igarashi who called out in concern from behind. 


It was Igarashi, of all people, who called out the man standing in front of Yanagi. 


All of this was to make sure that Yanagi could be trusted and that he wasn't lying. 


"Igarashi told me a long time ago to be suspicious of people, didn't he?" 


"I did say that, though........ You didn't trust that guy?" 


"Of course I do. But I have to doubt him. It's possible that he was cheated like in the past." 


"I don't think that's the case with him." 


"But I doubt it." 


"......Yes, yes. Do whatever you want." 


I was whispering with Igarashi, so I couldn't see them. 


When I looked back, I saw that Yanagi's face, which had been glaring at him just a little while ago, had softened. On the other hand, the man is conversely staring at Yanagi.  


What on earth is this situation? 


--- "Yanagi. Are you insane! No matter how much you say you love Kujo, there are limits! That thing you're talking about is a crime, depending on how you look at it." 


--- "Fufu. A crime is like a piece of trash in front of the feeling of love." 


--- "You're crazy!" 


The man is startled by Yanagi's eerie laugh. 


Looking at this scene alone, I can only think that Yanagi is trying to trick me. Of course I don't think that....... Igarashi was different. 


"Kujo. You're right, I still had to suspect him. It seems that guy wasn't just posting stupid stuff on his back account......." 


--- "I don't think it's a good idea to make assumptions like that when you don't know what you're talking about." 


--- "But you!" 


--- "Haha. I'm going to make Rinka's pocket tissue, comb, nightclothes, toothbrush, cup, bed, champagne, mechanical pencil, mechanical lead, futon, pillow, shoes, tea...... etc. all the same! 


I and Igarashi couldn't believe our ears. 


--- "That's something totally different from what you said earlier! You, that's totally criminal!" 


--- "The feeling of liking is infinite." 


--- "No, that's not what I meant!" 


"Hey, Kujo. That guy, I think you should be suspicious of him in a different way." 


It means he likes me so much that he wants to use the same thing. 


I doubted whether he really likes me, but he seems to like me from the bottom of his heart. 


My insecurity was allayed. 


I can trust Yanagi more than anyone else. 


"Are you listening to me? If you don't, I'll turn him in to the police instead." 


"Igarashi. I know I've been unreasonable today, but thank you for going out of your way to call the guy. You've been a big help." 


"Oh. I want to ask you something in return....... Is that okay?" 


"Sure." 


"What do you think of this Yanagi?" 


When he said that, I couldn't come up with the right words. No, I couldn't come up with good words. 


I don't dislike him. 


If you ask me if I like him ...... no, what does it mean to like him in the first place? 


"I don't............ know." 


Igarashi took a breath at my answer. 


"That's a good answer, isn't it? It's kind of like Kujo." 


"Is it? But I don't know, you know?" 


"That's what's typical of Kujo. Is it time to go?" 


"Yes." 


"Then, we'll be going. Hey! We're going back to our club activities! 


"Sure!" 


Igarashi and the guy left. 


Because of that, Yanagi found out the words I was peeping at. 


"So you were watching." 


On the way home. I was looking at the orange-tinted sky with a nonchalant expression on my face when Yanagi cut in. 


"Yeah." 


"Do you dislike me now?" 


"Of course not." 


"What?" 


"You want to use the same things I use, right? I'll send you the ones I use in various ways on my line next time." 


"Ah, uh, oh, yes,......." 


He replied in a very faltering manner. 


I wondered if I had said something funny. 


While I was wondering, I was about to turn the corner to say goodbye. 


I'm more bothered by what Igarashi said to me than wondering if I've said something funny. 


How and when does he mean he likes me? 


Maybe Yanagi, who always says he loves me, can tell me what it is. 


"Yanagi." 


"Yes." 


"You like me, don't you, Yanagi?" 


"I've told you many times, of course I like you. 


"Then, can you tell me what you mean when you say you like me? "


"Well......." 


He looked a little confused, then paused. 


"I think I wrote something similar in a previous DM, about wanting to be with someone, or not being able to take your eyes off a certain person, or your heart pounding when you're with that person, or something like that....... but there are many uses for the word like, so I can't say for sure!" 


"Fufu. So, the one I'm thinking of, that I don't dislike you, Yanagi, but I don't know if I like you, does that mean that I like you?" 


"............I don't know about that." 


No further response came back. 


In no time at all, we turned the corner to say goodbye. 


"Well, I'll see you later." 


"Yes, see you." 


As we parted. When I saw Yanagi, his face seemed to be tinted with vermilion because it was late in the evening.



PREV | NEXT