Chapter 49: Farewell, First--kiss


TL: Scaramochi


***


After the orca show, we leave the aquarium. 


When we reached the nearest bus stop, I checked the time. 


"Next bus is...... in 10 minutes." 


"Then, why don't we walk to the station?" 


"Walk? It would take about 30 minutes to walk to the station from here." 


"I don't mind." 


"Oh, okay." 


Sasaki pulls her hand back and starts to walk away. 


I don't think Sasaki's intention was to get in some pre-meal exercise because she's going to eat pancakes afterwards?!


So, she's going to go straight to the pancake shop.......? 


"Nah, about the pancakes,...... my stomach is not accepting sugar today, or something." 


"Mooo, stop mumbling and let's go!" 


Sasaki and I left the bus stop and started walking down the empty country road toward the train station. 


"Which fish did you like best, Sasaki? The clownfish?" 


"The...... hand, I guess." 


"What? Hand?" 


"Oh, no. No, I mean the hand of the tortoise! Huh, the camenotes were so cute!" 


Was there such a thing as a camenote? Maybe I just missed it. 


"Did you have to stop at the souvenir shop inside the museum? They had big stuffed killer whale toys and stuff, Sasaki, you like that kind of stuff, don't you?" 


"You're treating me like a child again!" 


"I didn't mean to treat you like a child. If you want it, I'll go for a run." 


"No, no, no. I don't need a big stuffed animal right now." 


Sasaki turned her head away. 


Sasaki is difficult today....... 


I'm in trouble, and Sasaki suddenly pulls her shoulder. 


"I'd love to come back, the aquarium......." 


I don't know if she's in a good mood or in a bad mood......! 


***


After a 30-minute walk, we finally arrived at the nearest station and took the train back to Tokyo. 


Red clouds disappeared from the sky seen from the train window, and the whole sky turned into a night sky. 


I looked down at my hand, which was still held in the train. 


We've already left the aquarium, and I think it's time to let go of her hand. 


I casually loosen my hand, and Sasaki instantly squeezes it back. 


"......don't, you can't." 


Sasaki whispered and squeezed my hand even tighter. 


Today's Sasaki is strange. 


Somehow, she seems to be a bit more pampered than usual. 


Normally Sasaki acts like a big sister, but just today she seems like a friendly little sister. 


When we finally entered Tokyo after leaving Chiba, we exited the ticket gates to change to different subways. 


"I guess this is where we change trains." 


"That's...... right." 


"Well, since we're here, why don't we stop somewhere? "


"Okay." 


"Maybe some pancakes some other time." 


"Yeah....... I have to walk to the subway station, so can you give me a lift?" 


"Sure." 


Holding hands with Sasaki, we walk along the darkened night street. 


It was a good thing I dropped her off, since there were no cars on the street and no one was around. 


When we came to the elevator that led to the underground ticket gate, we stopped and finally let go of each other's hands. 


It felt strange to let go. 


"Thanks for inviting me out today." 


"Makishima thanks you too for coming even though you're tired from the match." 


"......I mean, it's precisely because I'm tired that I wanted to see you. I'm tired from the match, but I wanted to see you because I'm tired." 


"Makishima......." 


"And I'll definitely go to the pancake next time. If I get selected for A and the Emperor's Cup is over, I'll have a little time...... for you, Sasaki?" 


Sasaki suddenly looks at me with a mysterious look on her face. 


"I still can't...... stand it." 


Sasaki looks around and then lowers her mask. 


"Hey, what are you doing?" 


"Makishima......!" 


Sasaki stood on her tiptoes and put her hands on my shoulders and leaned back. 


Our overlapping bodies made each other's heart beat strongly. 


"Sasa...... ki?" 


Sasaki closes her eyes and brings her face close to my cheek. 


I accepted it without resistance. 


--Sasaki's lips touched my cheek. 


For 10 seconds, no, 14 seconds. My cheek felt Sasaki's lips. 


Those 14 seconds seemed like an eternity to me. 


Slowly, those soft lips parted and Sasaki's breath caressed my sensitive skin. 


"Sasaki......?" 


"......Ugh, I'm sorry, Makishima!" 


Sasaki looked down and dutifully got into the elevator and went to the basement. 


After Sasaki left, I stood there alone. 


"Ehhh ............ which way is home, again?" 


I was so shaken up by the sudden kiss that I didn't even realize my phone was vibrating. 


***


First time.......



PREV | NEXT