Chapter 48: Sasaki's Hot Gaze


TL: Scaramochi


***


[Aihara's POV]


"I...... wonder if it's okay for me to do this."


"Oh no. You're not as badass as you look." 


"No, because....... Anyone would be concerned if someone said something like that to me." 


Yesterday, Azaki gave me a ticket to the aquarium. 


I thought it would be...... quintessential for the two of us to go to the aquarium together, so I thought I'd return it to Azaki before this morning's practice. 


"Actually, I heard that Sasaki and Makishima are going on a date at the aquarium there today." 


He told me...... and pulled my hair back. 


The whispers of the demon 'Azaki' shook my heart. 


"Date......?" 


Makishima and Sasaki are......? I knew it, those two....... 


"Oh well. I'm sorry for asking so much of you, Aihara. We'll meet some other time." 


"Yes, I will." 


"Yes?" 


"......aquarium, go." 


Perhaps I am dancing in the palm of Azaki's hand. 


I know that, but if you can understand...... even a little bit about the relationship between those two people, then you can understand....... 


The two are in the aquarium at a distance from each other. 


They seemed to be talking to each other from a while ago. 


"But Aihara is so aggressive when Makishima is involved, isn't she? She almost always responded to my invitation, and even this time I didn't think she would actually come." 


"Well, that's......." 


"Because you like him?" 


"I don't think it's the same as liking....... I just wanted to support Makishima. The reason I became a manager is not because I want to support Makishima, but because I want to support him as an athlete." 


"You know what?" 


Azaki's face, which had looked so creepy, changed to a serious one, just like when he was playing soccer. 


"That's what you call liking, right?" 


"Eh......." 


"Oh, sh*t, I think Sasaki has noticed me. I think...... Makishima has also shown his manhood, so I'd better not approach him any further." 


Azaki looks bored as he folds his hands over his head. 


"Well, the result is all right, isn't it? Come on, Aihara, let's go around the aquarium too." 


"Perhaps that was Azaki's...... goal all along?" 


"Don't worry, we won't run into Makishima and the others. If I use my spatial awareness skills, I can see their location in an instant." 


"I can't believe he's using his soccer talent for something like this......." 


I'm stunned. But why does Azaki care so...... much about Makishima? 


I wonder why he used Makishima and his friends to catch me this time. ...... 


***


I've been talking to Sasaki less and less since we started holding hands again. 


I thought, "I'm not sure what this is a sign of......" but Sasaki intertwined her fingers with my fingers. 


Checking my heart rate on my smartwatch, I was so nervous I could tell at a glance. 


"Hey, let's go see the killer whales!" 


"......Oh, oh." 


We walk out onto the outdoor stage and sit in the semi-circle of bleachers to watch the orcas perform. 


The orcas repeat their performance to the sound of violins. 


I didn't want to get splashed, so I sat a little higher up, but I wondered if I could see...... Sasaki - and if I could see her properly. 


I turn toward Sasaki and my eyes meet hers. 


"What's up?" 


"Nah...... it's nothing!" 


Sasaki is acting strange. She was looking a little spaced out. 


Well, I'm trying to hold back my grin. 


The heat is in our clasped hands. 


I'm too worried that she might think my sweaty hands are gross. 


Well ...... it's the same thing now, but Sasaki has been looking at me instead of fish since a while ago, hasn't she? 


The mysterious hot stare is making me hot all over. 


Look at the orca, look at the orca! 


"......Orca, you're flying soooo high!" 


You haven't looked at me since the last time I saw you! Don't give me that shallow opinion while you're looking at me! 


What's really wrong with Sasaki......? 


***


Next time, the story progresses considerably...?



PREV | NEXT