Chapter 47: Aquarium Date And Azaki's Trap


TL: Scaramochi


***


The last day of the camp. 


In the morning, we play their last game against a university in Chiba, and the game is won by a hattrick by Azaki. 


Although I didn't score a goal, I recorded an assist, which was rare for me. 


After the game, the players sit around the coach in the center of the ground, removing their shin guards. Now the review meeting of the training camp would begin. 


During that review meeting, the manager was talking about the members who could move up from B to A. 


The promoted members will be announced soon, and they will move to the A team for the first round of the Emperor's Cup on May 16. 


Azaki looks like a sure thing, but I'm not so sure about me....... 


I intend to beat up Kanekawa and confess my feelings to Sasaki...... but that goal will also be lost because I didn't make it up to the A team in the first place. 


Well, I can't change the outcome and all I can do is pray. 


"Well, let's end on a high note. Azaki on behalf of the company." 


"Hey, hey, hey." 


The manager nominated Azaki, who stood up and lined up next to the manager. 


Why the hell is that guy closing the show? 


"Well, then, everyone, let's have a hand. Yeeeeeow!" 


With Azaki's clincher, the long Golden Week camp came to an end. 


***


I took the bus to the meeting place with Sasaki. 


Azaki said that he and Aihara are going somewhere together, but I'm...... kind of worried. 


I get off at the bus stop near the meeting place, and at that timing I get an incoming call from Sasaki. 


||  "Have you arrived already?" 


"Oh. Where are you now?" 


Just as I'm about to ask where she is, someone pokes me in the back. 


I turn around to see Sasaki standing behind me in a black camisole one-piece, looking a little angry. 


"You're late!" 


"Gosh, sorry. The manager was talking for a long time." 


"Two pancakes, that's all I ask." 


"Pancakes?"...... I didn't think it was after the aquarium. 


"Sure! I'll spend the rest of my free time touring the pancakes in Chiba!" 


......Okay, let's stay at the aquarium until the last minute today. 


"And - I'll give you this." 


Sasaki takes a ticket out of her purse and hands it to me. 


"It will be crowded during Golden Week, so I prepared the tickets ahead of time." 


"Oh, you're as prepared as ever. What was the price?"


"It's a present." 


"A present?" 


"Anyway! Let's get the hell out of here!" 


Sasaki takes my hand and walks forward to pull me with her. 


Are you really that eager to go to the aquarium? 


"Two people, right? Please enter through that gate." 


After showing our tickets at the entrance, Sasaki and I stepped into a dimly lit space surrounded by a huge aquarium. 


"Wow........" 


Sasaki looks at the huge aquarium spread across the side of the room as if she were devouring it. 


According to the information I found on the Internet, orcas are famous, but I guess there are many other kinds of orcas. 


Passing a tank of stingrays, Sasaki stops in front of a tank with a myriad of jellyfish. 


"Look, Makishima. Lots of jellyfish......." 


"Ah. Overlapped by the light, they're beautiful, aren't they?" 


"It's a little creepy with all the moiré." 


"Hey." 


I feel like an idiot for saying something like that. 


"Ah! There's a clownfish in that tank over there." 


"You like clownfish?" 


"Yeah." 


For someone who said she didn't really like fish, she's excited. 


The proof is that you're having so much fun that you forgot to keep your hands in your...... Well, well? I'll shut up just in case. 


"All fish." 


"Of course." 


***


[Sasaki's POV]


All right! The hand-holding operation was a success! 


Makishima looks normal even though he's been holding hands the whole time...... but I'm sure he's upset inside. 


"Sasaki." 


"What's wrong?" 


"You look happier than usual today, Sasaki." 


"Huh?" 


"Aren't you having fun?" 


I'm having fun, but... 


Why am I the one who's upset? 


......Oh, calm down, I'm the one who's upset. I'm older than you and I have to show you that I have room for improvement. 


"Well, aren't you blushing, Makishima? Maybe you're embarrassed to hold hands with me..." 


That's when it happened. 


Two familiar faces appeared in front of the aquarium behind Makishima. 


Oh...... that's Azaki and Aihara......! 


I thought I saw Azaki's face, illuminated by the blue light of the aquarium, look at me for a moment and grin. 


No way, that guy....... 


"I'm not ashamed of anything! I'm totally fine holding hands with you -- I mean, what's up, Sasaki?" 


I've been thinking something was fishy ever since I found out that Azaki had given Aihara the ticket, but could it be that that shaggy-headed...... guy's goal is to show Aihara that I and Makishima are getting along well with each other? 


It's true that Aihara seemed to have come for Makishima at the party, and there's a good chance that she likes Makishima. 


So I think Azaki is trying to use me to make Aihara fall in love with him....... 


"Sasaki?" 


I unavoidably let go of the hand I was holding with Makishima. 


"Sorry, Makishima. I know you didn't want to hold hands with me. I'll let go now." 


I really don't want to let go, and I want to keep holding hands with him even after this....... 


The more I do this, the more I feel like an idiot for being played by him. 


"I don't hate it." 


"......eh?" 


Makishima holds my left hand with his big right hand. 


"I said I don't hate it. I'm not afraid of getting lost, right? These places are dark and dangerous......." 


Makishima's face turned so red that I could see it even in the dim light, and he wouldn't let go of my hand. 


"Hey, hey, let's go next, next!" 


Makishima kept his hand and took me to another area. 


I wondered if he was worried about me because I was suddenly acting strange. 


I really like that about Makishima....... 


I don't care about Azaki's trap or whatever. 


If Aihara sees me, I'll have to show it to her, but I want to be like this with Makishima all the time. 


I don't want to let go of this hand. 


I secretly intertwined the fingers of our joined hands. 



PREV | NEXT