Chapter 6


TL: Akabane


***


Today, after a long day in class, the students dispersed after school, and went straight to their respective club activities.


Haruki and Yukito, both on their way to club activities, said goodbye to me and walked out of the classroom.


"Is Touma-kun from the club going home again?"


"Yes, I'm going straight home."


After they left, the chairman approached me again.


"You have a club too, don't you?"


"Yes, I'm going to play my own song today!"


The chairman was in the light music club, which matched her appearance perfectly.


The only time you had the chance to witness it was at the school festival, and I remember that it was a huge success.


"Touma is also welcome to join the club, okay?"


"Performing music in front of people reminds me of my traumatic experience in middle school."


"What happened exactly?"


"We had to sing in front of everyone, one by one, and it was excruciating because everyone around us had taken piano lessons and had good pitch."


"Oh no.  That's bad."


"Well, it was nice to see the chairman doing something cool."


"I see! Well, I guess I'll have to try harder in the next performance!"


"Yeah, good luck."


"Thank you! Then, I'll be off to my club activities! See you tomorrow!"


With that, the chairman cheerfully left the classroom.


As soon as I saw her off, the cell phone in my pocket vibrated.


[Onii-san, have you gone home yet? If not, let's go home together.]


It was a message from Rin-chan, inviting me to go home with her.


I wondered if I should try joining a club or taking a tour, but I thought I could ask her about it on the way home, so I replied that it was fine and I would meet her in front of the school gate.


5 minutes later, I met her in front of the school gate.


"Thank you for your hard work today."


"You too, Rin-chan.  Let's go home slowly then."


"Okay."


We got on our bikes and started heading home together.


"Are you sure you don't want to visit the club or try the activities?"


"I don't really like it.  If I do that, they'll force me and it'll be hard for me to say no."


"Ah, I know what you mean.  It's just like when I was in middle school."


When you join a club for tryouts, it means you're interested in the club's activities, so all the clubs try hard to get you into it.


There were times when upperclassmen asked me to join their club, and I understand how hard it is to be on the receiving end of pressure.


"Are there any club activities you're interested in?"


"Not really..."


"I see...  Well, as a going home club member, I can't tell you which club has a good atmosphere."


Just like the exchange with the chairman, I had some idea of the atmosphere of club activities by just talking to my friends.


But I hadn't actually gone to see the club.


I shouldn't recommend something just based on that.


"I haven't said anything, but they keep asking me to be the manager or something."


"You're really not interested in being the manager?"


"I don't like it. In short, I'm not interested.  I don't like the idea of handling the dirty clothes of someone I don't like.  Also, I can't help but think that it would only complicate the relationship between men and women."


"From the way you said it.  Please don't say that in front of others..."


It was a statement that could cause immeasurable damage to boys, and could cause quarrels with those who were currently managers or those who were just thinking about it.


"I'm only going to say this in front of Onii-san and Saki, so please don't worry about it."


I felt a little uncomfortable about her saying this in front of my sister.


"I see. So that's what you think"


"That's why it's great to have a female manager who is dedicated to supporting the male members in the club."


"Also, is there a vacancy for a female athletic club manager?"


"There are a lot of complicated issues with that".


"Oh, girls can be difficult to work with.  But it doesn't really interfere with regular club activities, does it?"


"You're right... The inflatable band is probably just as loud as the sports club... Why doesn't Onii-san join the club activities?"


"I've learned a lot since I got injured in middle school due to club activities."


"I see.  Have you ever thought about joining the culture club?"


"I'm not good at music, and the other clubs aren't that active, so I feel like I'll slack off."


In the end, I didn't do it for any reason, but observing the various club activities was fun.


"I understand.  You said a lot of things, but I think it's just going to be too much trouble."


"Kuh...!"


She was absolutely right.


"P-Please don't talk about me for now.  So, are you not involved in any club activities at the moment?"


"I've been told by my parents that I can choose any club as long as my grades don't drop and my behavior doesn't deteriorate.  I guess I'll pass for now. "


"It's going to be hard to study in high school, isn't it?"


"Yeah, sure!  It'll be hard!"


As if she was waiting for me to say that, her voice and reaction suddenly changed.


"I've worked really hard to get to this point, but it's no good if my grades go down, right?"


"Well, of course."


"But, there are times when I can't do anything by myself..."


"If you don't want to participate in club activities, you can attend a tutoring center."


"......"


Seeing her reaction, I immediately knew that my answer was wrong.


She looked annoyed and frustrated.


"Why are you responding like that!"


"No, that was the best response!"


"I don't want a generic response!"


"Err..."


This was difficult.  She took offense at my response.


"So far, the two of us only have time when we get home from school.  And I have to study.  Yes, we've gotten this far...!"


"No, I don't understand!"


Of course I knew what she wanted from the start.


I was just pretending to act stupid.


"You're so mean.  Do you really hate me that much?"


Then she became depressed, and her voice became low and shrill.


I guess I was too mean──


"That's not it.  You have time after school, right?  Besides there's somewhere to study, like at the school or a nearby cafe, if you want─"


"Yes, thank you!"


"Huh?


The state of depression she was in earlier had disappeared, and she reacted quickly, as if she knew what she had just done.


"It's already decided!  How long do you want to do it after school?"


"Did I just get tricked?"


"Even if you try to hide it, Saki has told me that you are not so smart in this regard."


She said that my sister had given her bad advice and she had practiced it.


Rin-chan's acting was too evil.


There can't be a man who wouldn't be agitated and confused if she were in my position right now.


"I have your word.  Not just once, but for every day!"


"Seriously...?"


"A private study club for both of us!"


Then she turned to me and whispered, so that the students around us couldn't hear her.


"I am... Onii-san's personal manager."


"!?"


"Just kidding~!"


She said with a happy laugh.


(She's even more dangerous than I thought.)


My face heated up, but at the same time, I tried desperately to suppress my emotions that were about to overflow at the thought.



PREV | NEXT