Chapter 5


TL: Akabane


***


When you talk about something, you remember it because you talk about it often.


It ended up being a long exchange, and the blue light from the cell phone for a long time made my eyes dull and unable to sleep.


"Sleepy..."


And then, the next day came with less sleep.


I was just like Yukito, I started yawning when I arrived at school in the morning.


I hope Rin-chan doesn't have the same problem.


"You look sleepy, Touma!"


"Guffaw!"


With a cheerful voice, my back was slapped with considerable force.


It was not as painful as it should have been, but I was surprised by the shock, which I had not expected at all.


"Good morning, chairman."


"Ai, good morning!"


The person who greeted me rudely was my new classmate who had just become our class president, Yuika Mikami.


She had a cheerful personality and was very good at getting along with everyone.


Above all, she was very popular among the boys in our class.


She had a well-groomed face and a good figure.


"Didn't you get enough sleep?"


"Yes, this is the result of forgetting the horror of using modern devices at night."


"Ah, playing cell phones all night?  Well, I guess that's what it is."


I had a habit of using unintelligible phrases, but she was one of the few people who could understand me.


"Does that happen to you too, chairman?"


"Yes, that's right.  I was talking to my friend and... other things, you know!  And who did you hook up with last night?  Could it be the girl who came here the other day? That cute one?"


She asked me with a mesmerized look on her face.


She must be talking about Rin-chan, but that's not what the chairman wants to know.



"The girl from yesterday, but I'm not dating or anything, okay?"


"Nonsense."


"No, I'm not going to lie about something that doesn't make sense because it'll be found out one day."


"Ehh~ how boring."


The core of what she really wanted to know was about love.


Everyone likes to talk about love, right?


"What about you?"


"Eh?"


"I've heard a lot about you.  Rumors about you and the popular guy."


"Hmm.  What's that about?"


Given the fact that the chairman is a popular girl, it's not surprising that she's constantly rumored to be with popular boys as well.


But despite all those rumors, I have never heard that she is dating anyone.


The only time I heard that she had a boyfriend was after the summer vacation of her junior year, and even then, she said that it was a quick breakup.


"Isn't there someone worthy of the chairman's attention?"


"Maybe so."


"If the current rumors don't work out, then this school is not suitable for you."


"Well, it's not like that.  It's true that I want someone who is handsome, kind, and has basic charm, but... I want to be with someone I can talk to and feel comfortable with."


"Hoo~?"


The Chairman, who had a bright personality and was a good conversationalist, was there anyone who couldn't talk to her normally and feel comfortable with her?


"And in general, rumors make it difficult for me, actually.  Even if you're comfortable talking as friends, suddenly the reaction from others will change."


"Well, it's inevitable.  It's hard not to notice when you're dealing with the chairman."


I thought it was normal to flinch when such frivolous talk spread to people like her.


"So, I want someone I can talk to calmly and happily at all times! And if possible, I want him to be handsome, kind, and single-minded!"


"You won't be able to find anyone for a while... No, the chairman might be able to find one, after expanding his scope beyond the school."


"Oh?  I realize that I said some pretty crazy things, but you understand me so well!"


"Because you're the class president?"


"Hoho~ If you want to praise me, why don't you tell me what you like about me?"


There was one thing that I thought was really good about her.


"The part where teachers look like they want to complain because you wear your uniform to the last gray limit of the school rules, but you're too often a model student with good grades and good classwork that they can't complain about you!"


"F-Fufu!  Ahahaha!  That one!?"


I think she understood what I meant and started laughing hysterically.


"That's too cool!  If there was something wrong with you, they'd say something like, 'Your appearance shows how sloppy you are,' but in my opinion, you're perfect!"


"That's the first time I've ever been complimented like that!"


She smiled happily.


Our president didn't seem to take herself too seriously.


Her skirt always followed the school rules, and she always changed her uniform to look more fashionable.


Not a few girls were influenced by this fashionable chairman, and some even tried to imitate her, so the teachers did not receive her well.


However, she was also the class leader with good grades, and was very active in club activities.


She also has good manners, which makes it difficult to pressure her.


She does what she has to do, while maintaining her charm as a girl to the maximum.


She was a solid person, and that's what I always found remarkable about her.


"No, you're really cool."


"Yes, yes, thank you!"


"You two seem to be having fun this morning."


Later, Haruki and Yukito walked into the classroom after their morning practice.


"Good morning, you two!  Touma is so cute!"


"He likes to say off-topic things in a nice way."


"Yeah, yeah!"


The chairman and Haruki started talking about me.


To be honest, Haruki fell in love with the chairman at first sight when he was in first year.


As a result of some sort of contact with him, she became friends with me and Yukito, and we started talking a lot.


In the end, before Haruki could confess his feelings for her, the chairman started dating someone else, so he didn't say anything to her.


As a result, Haruki and his current girlfriend have settled down, and his romantic feelings for the chairman have subsided.


If he confessed to her, we probably wouldn't have been able to talk as casually as we are right now, so it was probably a good decision.


"In that case, I'd better go back to my seat."


Then, the chairman returned to his seat.


"You and Yuika talk a lot, huh."


"That's because the chairman is a good conversationalist."


"It's been a long time since I've seen her laugh like that."


"You're right.  She laughed out loud."


"I thought you guys hit it off."


"You picked it up right away.  She said it's hard to realize when you talk like that."


"Yuika, the hurdle of the person you're aiming for is still too high... If you want to pursue it, I'll support you, so don't hesitate to tell me."


"Don't worry, I won't choose that path."


Whenever you talk to someone, you fall in love immediately.


I think I can understand now what the previous chairman said because it did bother me.


Well, I've never been in a relationship, and I've never had someone confess to me.


Anyway, I woke up thanks to the chairman's pleasant conversation with me.


Looks like, I'll be able to take classes normally today.



PREV | NEXT