Chapter 4


TL: Akabane


***


After dinner, I decided to enter the ID my sister gave me into the search field of the messaging app.


My sister coaxed me repeatedly during dinner to make sure that I set it up correctly and talked to her properly.


I knew that she was proud of her friend, but I wondered how many people in the world would push their siblings this far?


With this in mind, I slowly typed in her ID, which was a combination of letters and numbers, and typed one by one.


"Oh, here it is."


As I was searching for it, I immediately found an account with Rin's name.


It had a simple name and an animal image icon.


I touched it to open the page, and the "Add Friend" button appeared.


"......."


I immediately tried to touch the Add button, but my hand wouldn't move.


But since my sister had pushed me this far, there was no way I could fool her into thinking that I didn't have an account.


Slowly, I touched the button.


At the same time, I received a notification telling me that I had added a friend.


[I've added you. Nice to meet you]


I sent a simple greeting.


Soon after, I received a message from the other party with a notification that I had added a friend.


[You must be wondering whether to add me or not, right?  Sorry.]


The message was very straightforward.


[Who knows? What do you think?]


[No, no, you've been avoiding my request for a long time!]


I tried to cover it up by pretending to be a joker, but she knew exactly what I meant.


Rin-chan repeatedly asked me if she could exchange contact information with me.


Every time she asked, I always avoided it, and said that if my sister found out, then it would make me feel uncomfortable, and if something happened, I could handle it through her, but this time, there was nothing I could do.


[This time, because of Saki's consent, and because we're the only ones who go to the same school, so it would be better to have contact, right?  LOL]


[Yes. That's right]


She also remembered the excuse I used to avoid her.


[We can communicate here without worrying about anything, right?]


[I'm not sure. My sister might see the contents.]


[I can't deny that.  But if she finds out, so what!]


"You've lost all your wisdom."


At first, she seemed embarrassed, no matter what she did, but whether it was good or bad, she seemed to be slightly affected by my sister's personality.


[Well, now that we've exchanged, let's get along.]


[Of course, I intend to do so, even if Onii-san doesn't intend to do so.]


Her will is very firm.


I know it from the fact that she won't give up, no matter how many times I avoid exchanging contact with her, but once she has made up her mind, she won't back down...


[I see. So, how was your high school life?]


[I took the entrance exam today.]


[Hoo~ how did it go?]


[I got a lot of help from Onii-san, so it's impossible for me to get the answers wrong.]


[It's nothing, but...]


***


It wasn't unusual for Rin-chan to study while waiting, since my sister was the one who always arrived late.


It was impressive to see her sitting at her desk and working hard at her studies.


"Good luck.  Here are your drinks and snacks."


"Sorry to trouble you.  I have to work as hard as I can, because I have a high school I want to get into."


"I see..."


While we were talking, I noticed her studies and was amazed at how careful she was.


Since then, I've been secretly watching her study, and trying not to make a sound.


"Hmmm..."


She was struggling with the proofs in math and Japanese sentences.


I had learned them from the teacher at the tutoring center who was targeting me to get a good score on the diagnostic test.


I gradually taught her what I had learned.


"First, you need to think about what you have to do.  The more time you have, the more important it is."


"Okay."


"The proof can be partial or negative, so pay close attention to what really needs to be stated.  Also, make sure to take the other problems so that your grade isn't deducted here. "


Looking back on it now, it may seem obvious, but I really regretted it because I should have worked on these things earlier.


Perhaps that was part of the reason why I found myself telling her so many things.


I didn't want her to have the same regrets as I did, which is something parents tend to do to their children, and I told a girl everything I had done.


She didn't mind, in fact, she trusted me and we started talking more about her studies.


"These are the results of the last daily exam."


"I see.  Your grades didn't change much, but you improved in the areas you've been working on.  But don't worry, because this level is difficult for everyone."


"But... that's my area of expertise."


"Of course, it frustrates you when you don't do well at your strongest point.  But the best way to increase your score is to develop your weak points to a certain degree.  No matter how much you improve your strongest point, it won't mean much if you take the general exam at a certain level."


Although there was still some time left, but I knew that as a student, I would feel doubly anxious after taking the daily exams every month and worry about my own grades.


That's why I made sure to tell her what I could tell her and also explained about the exam.


While most of the time we were basically relaxed, but there were a few moments where we took each other seriously.


"It looks like today is the last time I come here before the exam."


"I see..."


"I don't want to go to other people's houses too much before the exam, because if I catch a cold or something, and I might infect other people."


"That's true.  It would be the most regrettable thing if you tried really hard, but then got bad results because of illness."


"Yes.  You have done so much for me.  I want to make sure that I will get the results I want."


I think the expression on her face when she said that was the most unusual.


"Let me fix one thing."


"Hmm?"


"The exam is not for anyone else.  It's not for your parents.  It's not for the tutor or the teacher.  It's for yourself.  Well, although it's true that the people around you would be happy if you got in..."


"If I can get into the high school of my choice, will Onii-san be happy?"


"Of course.  Obviously, I would be happy if the girl who listened to everything I said would be able to enter."


"In that case, I've listened to everything you've said so far, but I couldn't save the last one."


"Huh?"


"I want Onii-san to be happy that I got into that high school."


She said with a smile and prepared for her exam 


***


[Onii-san, are you happy that I got in?]


[Of course.  You should also be happy after all you've been through.  You've worked hard, so sometimes I should have fun too."]


[For that to happen, I need Onii-san to be more open with me.]


[If you can do well on the entrance exam, I'll consider it.]


And now, here we are.



PREV | NEXT