Chapter 23


TL: Akabane


***


Actually, this isn't the first time I've bought Rin-chan ice cream.


Then, when was the first time?


***


"It's hotter today, isn't it..."


"Yeah... the weather this year is different from last year."


In late August, right after summer vacation.  I was studying as usual in the room where the air conditioner was in full operation.


Even though the windows were closed, I could still hear many crickets roaring incessantly.


The cicadas were trying desperately to leave their offspring in their short lives.  But we humans were complaining just because the weather was hot.


Although I understand the point of the argument that humans are arrogant, I think the heat is unnatural.  So simply put, I didn't care about that argument.


"Saki is amazing.  She wears sunscreen like crazy and throws herself into her club activities in this weather!"


"She's always fit.  Since many years have passed, it's time for her to become the center of her club."


"In this weather, I'd definitely get sick..."


"Well, I think there are also many girls out there who are just like Rin-chan."


My sister must be stronger than me at all times in spring, fall, winter and summer.


I, on the other hand, often complain about the weather being too cold or too hot and fear getting sick from it.


"This is a little off topic, but I'm taking a course during this summer vacation."


"What's it like?"


"It was like prep school.  There were a lot of problems that I couldn't solve."


"That's true.  Because they depend on the amount of information about the entrance exam."


There was no doubt that the professional group that received money in that field was the most reliable place to study and take exams.


"Ah... that's not to say that I'm not satisfied with what Onii-san has taught!"


"O-Oh."


She looked at me and hurriedly added a supplement.  Perhaps it was because she was afraid that I would feel offended.


However, this feeling of mutual understanding gave her unnecessary anxiety and made her voice sound like she had been arguing with someone who had no room for interpersonal relationships.


It was also hard to be too serious or too kind.


"T-That's right!  I-If Onii-san doesn't teach me, I...!"


I looked at her and the expression on her face was hard to describe.  Perhaps it was because she was thinking about it too much, so she spoke uncharacteristically.


"It's okay, it's okay!  I don't think that you're lying."


But still, she looked uncomfortable.  And even though it's only been about a month since I invited her to out house to study together, but I already know her very well.


Even after I said that I didn't care about her, her expression of discomfort still hadn't disappeared.


"Whether it's good or bad, I'm Saki's brother.  So, I also know how you feel."


"Yes!"


Actually, our current relationship is unclear, and I only brought up my sister's name because it was necessary to calm her down.


There was no doubt that I was the worst brother.


"How many summer courses are you taking?"


"I went to a big course, so I had a schedule for several days.  I started from the first day to the last day of summer vacation."


"Even though you're an exam candidate, it's a tough schedule."


"There's a reason for that.  I took a national exam mock test to determine my grade, and it wasn't bad."


"I see.  So it's like that, huh..."


"It's thanks to you that my mock exam results were pretty good!"


"You're starting to praise me, huh."


"But, I don't feel like I'm on summer vacation because my schedule is so busy..."


"Well, I think that's what you should do.  Then, what about the Obon festival?"


"I can't because of my schedule."


"I see..."


Rin-chan was still in the 2nd grade of middle school.  She knew that next year she would not be able to play around even if she wanted to because she would be an examinee.  That's why she wanted more time to play with my sister now.


"Saki repeatedly asked me to play, but I always refused because I was busy studying..."


"I know.  That's because she wants to escape from studying."


"....That's Saki's like."


"That's the good thing about her."


I admit that she never complained about their relationship, and I was really impressed by the fact that she worked hard too.


Rin-chan and I both understood that it was a good thing about my sister.


"Saki asked me if I wanted to go to an ice cream shop during summer vacation and try the limited flavors that are only shown in summer..."


"Limited flavors?"


"I like citrus and cheesecake flavors.  I was curious when she said that I would like the flavor if I combined the two.  But, August is almost over and I can't try it..."


Rin-chan showed me the ice cream shop's official website displayed on her phone screen.


Sure enough, it was shown as a limited period until August 31st, and if we look at the current situation, we definitely won't be able to go to try it.


"..."


No, no.  I can't just stay still.  Because she's already studying harder than usual.


***


"Do you like chocolate mint flavor?"


"It's spicy.  There's nothing better than that flavor!"


"I see..."


"Do you want to treat me by chance?"


"Well, it's not like that anyway."


"So what? Tell me!"


Actually, I knew my sister's favorite from the start.  That's because if I want to buy her something, I only want to buy her something she likes the most.


It's currently the last week of August.  So, I stopped by the nearest ice cream shop.


At that moment, for the first time, I bought something for someone other than my own family.


At this moment, I was shaking to a high degree as I carried it home, and I immediately returned home at full speed after the store clerk wrapped my order.


When I returned home in a sweat, I carefully stored the two ice creams in the freezer, and I caught my breath carefully.


I would offer the ice cream to my sister as soon as she returned from her club activities.


"Hey, open the freezer."


"What's this?"


"Chocolate mint, you can eat it.  Thank you."


"What is this all of a sudden?"


"Well, just for fun."


"Don't talk nonsense!"


"I'm not talking nonsense."


"So, is this other one yours?"


"Yes.  Don't take it, okay?"


"Yes, yes, I know.  Lemon cheesecake?  Isn't this what Rin wanted to try?"


My sister held the chocolate mint ice cream in her hand and smiled.


Unfortunately, I couldn't give the ice cream I bought to Rin-chan today, so I'll give it to her the next day.


***


As usual, she came to my house and put her school textbooks on the table and started studying.


I'm always impressed by how she studies so hard.  She couldn't have fun, and that would definitely reduce her motivation, but she never showed any signs of it.


I took the ice cream out of the freezer when the time was right.  And then I pressed the cold container against her cheek.


"Hiiiiiiii!!!"


She jumped up and made a cute surprised sound.


"Why don't we rest for a while?"


"Eh?"


When I handed her the cup, I unscrewed the lid of the container.


"Here."


"Here....?"


"I've prepared it for you.  Although it won't bring back the missed summer vacation, but enjoy it."


"Ah, no!  Sorry..."


"Hey, I'll be sad if you don't take it."


"Ah...!  Okay..."


She scooped it up and put it in her mouth elegantly.


"It's delicious!"


"Thank goodness."


"But, is this okay? Was Saki not given it too?"


"I already bought her a chocolate mint too."


"Oh, really?"


"Well, she's a good sister, so it's okay to buy her some."


"Yes!"


Rin-chan, who brought the ice cream into her mouth in an elegant manner, looked like a painting.


In the end, the lemon cheesecake flavor became popular and I didn't have to rush to buy it again because it was always available at the store.


It became quite a memorable memory for both of us.


However, my sister completely forgot about what I had bought her back then, and it made me a bit upset.



PREV | NEXT