Chapter 22


TL: Akabane


***


"What do you want to eat, Rin?"


"I don't know.  What about you, Saki?"


"I've actually decided what to eat, but after looking around, I'm not sure...."


While these two were discussing what to eat, I went to the water server and filled three glasses of water for the three of us.


Two cute pretty girls and a guy who looked a little older.  In my opinion, we were a very special group, which is rarely seen anywhere.


I felt like I was being ogled by everyone around me, which made me feel very uncomfortable.


"What would Onii-san like to eat?"


"Well, I want to eat soba...."


"Huh?  I've never seen such a choice before.  What's wrong with you?"


No matter what, the only reason was because these two people in front of me were making me feel uncomfortable.


As for Rin-chan, who was looking at me from next to my sister, who was looking this way and that, had an atmosphere that I could not read.


"Then, let's share half of what Rin ordered and half of what I ordered!"


"Okay!  Then, I'll order the pasta!"


"Okay!  If Rin has pasta, then I'll have the rice omelette!"


After deciding what each of us wanted to eat, we took turns ordering the food.


"Why don't you order first, Saki?"


"Me?"


Rin-chan urged my sister to go and order.  Then, my sister went to order and it was just me and Rin-chan at the table.


"Ah, Onii-san?"


"Y-Yes?"


Rin-chan called out to me, and my voice shrank.


"Why did you answer like that?  I didn't say anything strange."


"Y-Yes, you know...."


I couldn't help but suspect what Rin-chan was up to.


"I just don't know what to say in this situation."


"I see.  It's true that no matter what the situation is, it's usually difficult to have a conversation with two girls at once.  But, you don't have to be so suspicious of me!"


"I'm really sorry about that...."


That's right.  I've never even eaten with a girl outside of my family even though I'm already in high school.


Because of that, eating in front of Rin-chan became a source of great tension for me.  I felt as if there were landmines on my every move, even though I had been silent all along.


"Since there's nothing, so please behave normally!"


"O-Oh."


"Hee?  What's wrong with you two?"


While I was being lectured by Rin-chan, my sister returned with a tray after taking her order.


"There's nothing!"


"Alright, Rin-chan.  Now it's your turn to order."


"Ah, I see!  I'll go now!"


Rin-chan left our table and went to order.


"Wait, Onii-chan!"


"What?"


"What do you mean by what?!  You've been acting weird ever since Rin joined us!"


"I'm sorry.  I didn't know what to do between you two, since it's my first time in this situation."


"What's wrong with you, Onii-chan!  Rin is here, so do something!"


".......Then, what should I do?"


"Don't you intend to buy something for us here?"


"I understand ...... wait, do you?!"


"Mom and dad did give me money, but before that, shouldn't Onii-chan also buy me something?!"


".....Yes, yes.  Ah!"


I thought of something else while listening to her ramblings.


"I'm back."


"Welcome back."


"Saki, you shouldn't trouble your Onii-chan too much."


"Don't worry.  Well, Onii-chan, it's your turn now."


"Yes."


***


We each put the food we ordered on the table.


"Rin-chan.  Aaaahn!"


"Hey, Saki.  I'm embarrassed...."


My sister brought a spoonful of omelette rice to Rin-chan's mouth.  However, she gave me a shy glance even though she opened her mouth in the end.


"Umm, this is delicious."


"Then it's Rin's turn!"


"Okay."


I didn't see the two of them getting along like this when they were at my house to play, but it was a very beautiful friendship.


Although their schools were different, but their friendship was as beautiful as ever, and the scene between these two cute girls was also amazing.


Thinking of this, I took a sip of my ordered soba.  Since I was the only boy here, I ate it in silence and finished eating faster.


"I'll go first for a while."


Since it was all gone, so I carried the tray and got up from my seat.


"Ah, sorry.  We ate too slow."


"No, no.  I'm the one who ate too fast."


Rin-chan looked sorry, but I told her not to worry about it.


After returning the tray to the soba shop, I looked around the area where there were many candy shops concentrated.


"I'm not sure what I should buy for the two of them...."


As my sister had said before, I was thinking of buying dessert for them.


Since I wasn't earning money myself, so I was saving money, but here I wanted to use it at my sister's request.


Besides, I had done this before, and it wasn't once or twice.


I stopped at an ice cream shop and bought two ice creams, one for my sister and one for Rin-chan.


"What flavor would you like?"


"Hmm..."


***


"I'm back."


"Welcome back."


"Welcome back.  What are you holding in your hand?"


"I bought ice cream.  Here, for both of you."


"As expected of Onii-chan!"


"N-No, thank you...."


The two of them reacted in opposite ways.  My sister's reaction was rather blunt, but it was nice to see her accept the ice cream from me so joyfully and honestly.


Whereas Rin-chan reacted in a normal way, but she held back too much.  If she was like this, it would be difficult for me to get her to accept it happily.


"Just take it.  If you don't want to take it, I'll be sad."


"I-I understand."


"Rin!  Just take it!"


My sister said that while staring at the ice cream in my hand 


...... This made me even more uncomfortable.


"You really picked my favorite flavor!"


"Chocolate mint tastes like toothpaste, so you must like it..."


"Right, it tastes good!"


"As for Rin-chan, it's lemon cheesecake!"


"Thank you! This is my favorite flavor. Eh, how did you know?  Is it a coincidence?"


My sister coughed at the sight of Rin-chan's ice cream.  At the same time, they both jumped.


"What? Uh, well, that's..."


"Ah, you remember it because I told you about it, right?"


"Y-Yes, that's it."


"That's right, we were indeed very close even to the point of talking about ice cream.  Although we rarely talk these days."


"T-That's right."


"You guys talk about your favorite food?"


"Y-Yes."


"Wait.  Does Rin really like ice cream?"


"Yes, yes!  I like it a lot!"


"I see.  If you had told me earlier, then we would have stopped by the ice cream shop last week."


While saying that, my sister licked her ice cream.


Beside my sister, Rin-chan blinked her eyes while eating ice cream.



PREV | NEXT