Chapter 18


TL: Akabane


***


The next day, after school, Rin-chan and I gathered in the social studies room as usual and recounted what the chairman had said yesterday.


"Are you going to be a member of the sports festival committee?"


"Yes, it's quite troublesome.  They often hold meetings during lunchtime or after school."


"They were like that. In middle school too."


"Everyone in my class has club activities, so they don't want to do it..."


"So, you have a white arrow on your body?"


"Well, that's how it is."


"I see.  That means it will be difficult for me to have study sessions with Nii-san."


"That's right, if it has been officially decided.  It's actually fine if someone else do it, but he will definitely be unreliable."


After thinking about it, I decided to do it if no one volunteered.  Of course the main reason was because it was the chairman's request, but if no one wanted to do it, I thought I was the right person because I'm not joining any club.  If I refused, it would upset the people around me.


The reason I did this was to fit in with the atmosphere around.


But, what if the study session with Rin-chan is interrupted?


Well, it depends on the situation.  The right person has to do what he has to do.  I can't live in a group if I don't care about what the people around me need.


"Since the sports festival seems to be held in June, so should we condense the schedule starting next month?"


"Yes, I think it will be a long month."


"Alright.  When that happens... I'll study by myself."


Her words showed understanding, yet her facial expression was listless.


But, I wouldn't say that without an alternative plan.


"It might be difficult for me to do it on a school day.  But, if you don't mind, let's meet on a day off and study together."


"You mean, Saturday and Sunday?"


"Yes, it depends on Rin's schedule..."


"My schedule is empty!  Even if it is, I'll clear it!"


"O-Oh, I'm always free on weekends, so you can call me anytime."


When I told her the alternative schedule, Rin-chan's expression immediately brightened.


I was sure that she would be happy, but this was beyond my expectations.


"But, if you're free on the weekend, can I stay with Nii-san all day?!"


"If you don't mind, of course you can.  Besides, I'm afraid I'll have to cancel our study session on school days even if it's only temporary."


"Promise, huh?"


It was natural because I was sure that I would definitely miss a day to attend a study session on a school day.


"Since it's Saturday and Sunday, so studying outside seems good.  Like the cafe we saw earlier."


"Yes, that's right.  The school might be open for club activities, but I don't think that we should come there."


If you want to study for a long time, then you should study in a place that is a bit fashionable.


She looked like she was having fun when we walked through the shopping center, so maybe we should go to a nice place that she could go with her fellow girls like my sister.


"Since you seemed to be having fun when you were at the shopping center, so I'll find out if there's a place where you can enjoy it like that time."


"Thank you.  I'm looking forward to it!"


With a smile on her face, she returned my words in line with my expectations.


Since I was likely to break my promise on the school day, so I had to make sure that she would enjoy it well.


I looked at her smile while thinking of such things.


"It's good to go outside to study, but isn't studying leisurely at home better?"


After saying those words, she suddenly made such a proposal.


"No, that's hard to do.  As you know, my sister is usually at home on Saturdays and Sundays. She is off from her club activities."


"Of course I know.  Because last Saturday, I played with her."


"Right.  That's why we can't..."


"But if it was at my house, there wouldn't be your sister there, right?"


"Rin-chan's house...?!"


"Yes, I'm inviting you to my house... do you want to go there?"


That was something I had never thought about at all until now.


I couldn't understand it for a moment because all I could think about was inviting someone to my house, not the other way around.


"No, no, no!  Your parents are there, right?  If you bring a man home, your father will be furious!"


"It's okay!  Because Saki has come to my house many times, so if I explain to him that Nii-san is her brother, he'll definitely allow it!"


"No, I don't think it will be like that..."


"Why?"


Rin-chan's expression looked like she was wondering.  Apparently, she was still too innocent.


No matter how good your friend's brother is, as long as he is of the opposite sex, you will definitely be questioned by your parents.  Plus, the suspicious aura will increase at once if there are only two of us in the room. It was an act that would make Rin-chan's parents feel anxious, and it was unreasonable.


"Anyway, let's forget about that plan! That's a strange situation to think about normally!  I can't make Rin-chan's parents' trust in my sister diminish!"


If Rin-chan's parents' trust disappeared, then the friendship between my sister and Rin-chan would be destroyed.


Her parents might tell her, "Stop hanging out with that guy!" to which Rin-chan would reply, "Why would you say such a thing?!" and there would be a distance between parent and child.


And the root of all these problems would lead to me.  I must not take any strange actions that would jeopardize the friendship between Rin-chan and my sister.


"I understand."


"Ah, you understand...?"


"That means if my parents weren't around, then it would be fine, right?"


"What?"


"Hmm?"


I thought we understood each other, but instead, it ended in a questioning word.


"No, no.  That's not allowed."


"Why not?  Didn't you say it's okay if my parents aren't home?"


"I can't visit your house without your parents around!  Especially since it's my sister's friend house!"


"What do you mean, why would I invite you over? It's for studying!"


I had other things in mind, but what Rin-chan said was true.  But, no matter what the reason was, the point remained the same.


"I can't do that!"


"This is getting off topic.  Your explanation is not clear!  What's wrong with saying it simply? It doesn't make sense!  Anyway, Nii-san, why are you denying it so stubbornly?"


"Y-Yes?"


"Do you think that being invited to a girl's room is too much?"


That is true. It cannot be denied, especially when it comes to her parents, who would probably imagine something rather vulgar.


"No way!"


"But it's true, isn't it?  It's impossible for someone who is close friends with his favorite sister to give off different feelings just because the environment has changed a little."


"T-That's right..."


"Then, let's do it.  We're just changing places.  Think of it that way."


"No, but that's not the main reason..."


"Then it's okay if my parents see it, right?  We have to show them that you treat me so well."


"Y-Yes..."


I have been persuaded with a very strong coercive force after a long time.


I hope Rin-chan's parents don't leave home for a long time this weekend.


"....I was just thinking about it.  But, wouldn't it be better if we didn't just do it later where you start getting busy with committee activities?"


"Huh?"


"I thought we could start adapting to the system starting this week!"


"W-Why?"


If we do that, it will definitely be at a time when Rin-chan's parents are not at home.  That means, the sincere wish I prayed for 30 seconds ago will be in vain.


"Right now, we can only meet on school days, so it wouldn't hurt to add two days?"


But... if we add two days, that means we'll see each other every day!


I felt claustrophobic at the thought that we'd be seeing each other more often.


"Well, let's think about this later..."


"Alright! If you refuse, can I call you early in the morning if you don't mind?"


"I can't do that.  If that happens, I'll get kicked out by my sister!"


Just as I thought.  If you're suddenly faced with a choice, you won't be able to refuse.


"Just kidding.  But if you really don't mind, let's do it once in a while."


"Okay.  I promise."


"Yes!"


She smiled brightly as usual. Of course compared to the first time we met, where she had a fake smile, this one was much better.


Because of the good shape of her face, any kind of smile would still look pretty on her, but a natural smile was still the best.


"Then, let's start studying now.  Although I have a backup plan to do it on holidays, but I'll still do my best when I have time to do it on school days."


I explained to Rin-chan what she should do and faced the other problem again.



PREV | NEXT