Chapter 3: Notification Sound


TL: Akabane


***


Actually, I don't know why Suzune came to my room. It's not likely that Suzune is reading my sensual novels, and she may have simply wanted me to taste her cookies, as she said.


But as the three of us sat around the folding table, chewing on cookies, my tension didn't ease at all. To be honest, I didn't even taste the cookies. Of course, that doesn't mean that Suzune's cookies were bad. I'm sure they are delicious. At least, I bet I would have eaten them yesterday without a single piece left.


But...


"............"


Suzune remained silent while I was eating the cookies, yet she kept glancing at my expression.


"Why don't you at least tell me what you think, instead of being silent?"


And then Miyuki, who had grown numb, glared at me.


That's when I huffed.


"Eh? Oh, sorry. It's delicious. It's so good. Thanks."


I gave her a compliment, but Suzune still patted her chest in relief, as if she was satisfied. Then she looked at me with a slight smile.


"Well, we're about to head back to the living room."


Miyuki said and stood up. Apparently, she doesn't want to stay in my room for too long. Miyuki walked to the door as if urging Suzune, but Suzune answered, "U-Un......," and she didn't get up easily.


"Suzune-chan?"


And as Miyuki tilted her head in wonder there, she pulled out a wrapper of some kind from her apron pocket.


"Actually, I-I brought you some tea to drink with the cookies. I totally forgot about it, would you like to drink it with me? I-If you don't mind, S-Senpai? It's a citrus tea called Earl Grey. ......"


Maybe I'm mistaken. But somehow, Suzune's words sounded like she wanted to stay in this room a little longer than she wanted to have a cup of tea. I think that was the same with Miyuki, who looked at me curiously for a moment and then said, "Well, since we're here, I'll take it. Suzune-chan, lend it to me. i will brew it for you," she said with a smile and left the room.


Thus, Suzune and I were left alone in the room. ......


"............"


Awkward .......


Suzune was sitting on the other side of the table, behaving herself. But she seemed to be feeling as awkward as I was, fidgeting and looking restless in some way. And for some reason, her cheeks were slightly flushed.


I thought to myself, "This is a bad time for me, as I am older than her, to talk to her about something. ......."


I thought so and opened my mouth.


"By the way---"


"I'm going to---"


But worst of all, Suzune and I both speak at the same time, so our words are drowned out by each other.


"Sorry, please."


I said, handing the conversation over to Suzune, and she opened her mouth, looking a little apologetic.


"I have to send a picture of my pet's food to my brother, can I touch my phone for a bit?"


"Eh? Yeah, that's totally fine. Well, Shota's guy said he didn't know the name of the food, right?"


"Yes, that's right. ......"


Saying that, Suzune took her phone out of her apron and started typing something. While looking at her like that, I think to myself.


I knew that such a cute and dainty girl would never ...... be a sensual novel reader.


As I was thinking that, she finished typing a message and put her phone back in her pocket.


It was right after that.


Pirorororin.


The sound of my phone's notification echoed in the room. It was my phone that rang.


What ...... is this too exquisite timing ....... The moment Suzune put her phone back in her pocket, the notification on my phone rang.


But I dare to ignore the notification on my phone .......


"You don't have to worry about me ......."


Suzune mumbled quietly. That's when I noticed. Before I knew it, her cheeks had turned bright red. And her hand on her lap was shaking plastically.


"Phone, is it okay if I don't check it?"


Suzune asked me that with her hands shaking. "Why?" There seemed to be slight tears in her eyes.


"No, it's okay. It's probably just a social media notification or something."


I said and faked it. To be honest, I was scared. I was scared that my phone was displaying, [Your novel has been commented on.] Then Suzune mumbled this as if squeezing out, "I see ...... that's fine, but ......."


She pulls her phone out of her pocket again. Then, she flicks something into it. 


"Hey, what's up ...... I'm getting so many notifications today. Well, today is the day of the big update, right? Hahahaha ......."


A hollow laugh echoes in the room. But Suzune turned her head down without answering anything. Then she took out her phone again and started typing something.


And then .......


 Pirorirorin and my phone's notification beeps.


"Senpai ......."


And that's when Suzune looked up as if she couldn't take it anymore and looked at me with tears in her eyes.


"What's wrong?"


"After all, it might be an urgent call, and I think you should check. You don't have to worry about me, so..."


"............"


That was clearly pressure from Suzune to look at my phone. No more excuses. I fearfully reached for my phone.


"Well, then, I'll take your word for it ......."


With that, I dropped my eyes to the screen of my phone. There were the words, [Your novel has been commented on.]


My heart almost stopped. After glancing at Suzune once, I tapped the notification with a trembling hand.


[I had a faint inkling that it had been written in the first comment.]


That's what the first comment said. The second one said, [Perhaps...] And in the third letter, [This novelist, Konon-sama, who wrote this novel...]


My impressions ended there. But right after that, I got a new impression from my phone again.


[...Is that Senpai?]


That's what was displayed on the screen. I involuntarily looked up. Then Suzune was staring at me with a face that looked like she was about to start crying. And then her phone fell from her hand.


There was no doubt in my mind. I and Suzune kept looking at each other and couldn't turn away.


"S-Senpai ......."


Suzune called me with a trembling voice.


"What's wrong?"


I smile awkwardly.


"There's something I've been wanting to ask you for a while now. ......"


Suzune said that much and held her chest with both hands.


"Haruka-chan in your senpai novel is ......"


"............"


"Is that me ......?"


Suzune asked. It was such a straightforward question that no matter how I interpreted it, there was no room for misunderstanding. I knew it. It was Suzune Minazuki, the school's idol and lady, who always wrote her impressions of my novels.


She also realized another truth.


The sensual novel I am writing. The heroine of the novel is Suzune Minazuki who sit in front of me now.


"Well, that's ......."


There's no way I can answer that ....... There is a beautiful girl in front of me, and I can't tell her that she's the model for the heroine in the sensual novel I'm writing. I can't say that even if my mouth is torn. But my silence was as good as an implicit admission of her question.


But such passive affirmation is not good. As a man, I have no choice but to admit it gracefully. If she scorned me for doing so, it would be a personal affront.


"The heroine of the novel I'm writing is ......."


That was when I said that much...


"Onii-chan ......."


I heard such a voice from the door. Suzune and I hurriedly turned our heads toward the voice.


There stood Miyuki, holding a tray with a teapot on it.



PREV | NEXT