Chapter 12: Forged Friendship Between Man And Woman


TL: Akabane | PR: Danielle


Friday.


Today's the day for the welcome excursion for new students. That's why we, 1st graders, were visiting the amusement park. 


"With this, you will have a lot of free time. So please enjoy yourself and return to the gathering place at noon. That's all, disperse!" [Teacher]


We disbanded, and my classmates left their respective friends. I decided to spend my free time the same way as the last time I came here, so I headed to the souvenir corner.


"Why are you here too?!" [Kouhei]


"I thought you'd come here too." [Yuzu]


I met Yuzuhana.

"Buying a souvenir right away when you have some free time. The souvenir will annoy you when you go out later." [Kouhei]


"I didn't come here for go out! It wouldn't be fun if I was touring an amusement park alone as a teenager." [Yuzu]


"Ha-ha, sorry. I don't have any friends either, that's why I wanted to spend my time in the souvenir corner." [Kouhei]


Yuzu was momentarily stunned when I laughed at her.

[Dani: This is why you two got a divorce in the future....]


"Are you gonna see your friends in a bit? Please introduce me to them too!" [Yuzu]


"Why should I do that?" [Kouhei]


"I feel lonely..." [Yuzu]


"Oh, weren't you used to being lonely?" [Kouhei]


"I'm used to being lonely because I'm too used to hanging out with you! If you and I get along well, I'm sure I can get along well with your friends too! I won't let you have fun alone!" [Yuzu]


Yuzu heated up. I really hate it. I guess I shouldn't have gone this far. With a heavy heart, I tell the truth.


"I have no friends, I came here to buy some souvenirs at Sana's request." [Kouhei]


"Oh, yeah. I guess that's true." [Yuzu]


Yuzu signed up as if she felt relieved. She was very worried that I was going to hand out with my friends. Well, I guess I will feel the same way about it too. I can hardly imagine Yuzu having fun with her friends. Well, it's a bit different from the so-called 'restless'. If I had to give a name to this feeling, would it be closer to the word 'jealousy'? But, why should I feel jealous? It really doesn't matter to me for who Yuzuhana hangs out with. In fact, it was rather pleasant to think that she would make a lot of friends and not be interested in me.


But, it feels good to hang out with Yuzu, and ... is it possible that somewhere in my heart I still want to be with Yuzu? Even if that's true, I still can't say it. Yuzuhana just didn't want to be alone. And she doesn't really want to hang out with me.


"If you want to buy a souvenir for Sana-chan, I will help you. I know about Sana-chan's tastes much better than you. Let me guess, you are planning to buy her a mechanical pencil, right?" [Yuzu]


"Oh, how did you know that?!" [Kouhei]


Compared to me who had a hard time figuring out what others like, Yuzu was actually good at this kind of thing.


"How long do you think we've been together? I can even see what you're thinking." [Yuzu]


"But it's not that bad, you know? A mechanical pencil is a very versatile tool" [Kouhei]


"Oh, come on, a pencil like this doesn't match with the price." [Yuzu]


"That's just your judgment." [Kouhei]


(Don't say that when there are people around you! I could even see that they were looking at me with strange looks!)


"That's not just my judgment. It's an impression that comes from experience." [Yuzu]


"Impression, huh? Then, why do you keep using the same mechanical pencil that you bought at the amusement park when you were a college student?" [Kouhei]


"Well, that's ... I think it's a waste if I don't use it. I'm also frustrated that my pencil breaks during the test." [Yuzu]


She coughed again. Yep, she sucks at changing the subject. 


"It's just a mechanical pencil anyway, and it doesn't matter because the person she likes has already bought her what she normally uses, so you should buy her something else." [Yuzu]


"Don't tell me that Sana hates me..." [Kouhei]


That's a normal reaction.


"I didn't say that." [Yuzu]


"But you said something similar like that!" [Kouhei]


"What I'm trying to say is that she will like it in a romantic way, which is far from hating it, Sana is a hidden brocon. Even when we have a tea together, she says it herself." [Yuzu]


"At that age, I wonder if being a brocon really is the problem." [Kouhei]


"Don't say that. Wouldn't it be great if you were liked by your sister?" [Yuzu]


"That's not true. Please forgive her for telling you about that." [Kouhei]


"Nah, I don't want to talk about it anymore." [Yuzu]


Yuzu awkwardly coughed as if to clear her throat.


"If you want to buy her something, then buy something other than daily necessities. If you search for it carefully, then you will be able to find something extraordinary." [Yuzu]


"I didn't really mean to buy her that type of pencil, I still have plenty of time. Since you've said that much, I'll buy her something else." [Kouhei]


After that, we browsed the souvenir corner.


"By the way, Sana-chan, how is she?" [Yuzu]


"She's too energetic. She always does her best at playing basketball until night every day." [Kouhei]


"Well, it's good that she works hard at her club activities, but what about her studies?" [Yuzu]


"My sister can't do that." [Kouhei]


"Why are you just keeping quiet? If she continues like that, I think you siblings will have a hard time taking the university entrance exams. Do you want to go to the same university this time around too?" [Yuzu]


"Actually, I was a bit confused. I was in college because I wanted to get a bachelor's degree so I can get a job." [Kouhei]


"So, you're saying that you won't be able to get a job if you don't continue your education in college?" [Yuzu]


"Actually, there are other ways to earn money besides getting a job. Do you remember when you got addicted to horse racing comics when you were in your third year of college?" [Kouhei]


"Yeah, we loved going to the racetrack. I was surprised because I was able to relax back then. Can we really make money from horse races?" [Yuzu]


"We won't be learning from it forever, but I remember that there are 10 thousand betting tickets issued every day that are all about the race. I'm thinking of buying them with the money I earn, and becoming rich!" [Kouhei]


"Isn't that sneaky?" [Yuzu]


"That's true, but I don't want to live the life I had before." [Kouhei]


Working to survive was what I should have done, but at that moment I felt that I was only living to work. Because of that, I got frustrated and treat Yuzu harshly ... I don't want to be like that anymore.


"That's why I wanted to do it. And I will live a happy life." [Kouhei]


"I don't think living a happy life is the same as having a lot of money. But it's better than getting a job at a company that treats you well. You really looked tortured back then.  But ... if you want to be rich, then you should find a reliable friend now." [Yuzu]


"Why?" [Kouhei]


"Even if you have money, but if you feel lonely, then your life will be boring. But if your friend suddenly becomes a millionaire and you are in trouble, then he will be the one you can ask for help. That's why..." [Yuzu]


Then, Yuzuhana looked at me with a serious look.


"I'll watch over you as a friend." [Yuzu]


"Friend..." [Kouhei]


The unexpected statement made me do a double take. She wants to be friends with me ... is she feeling alright?


"Do you really want to hang out with me?" [Kouhei]


"I can't lie at the time like this. Since the reason we got divorced was because our relationship started going in the wrong direction, wasn't our relationship very well until then?" [Yuzu]


"It's ... It's no exaggeration for me to say that it was the happiest time in my life." [Kouhei]


"I think so too. Kouhei is my best friend, but not my best husband." [Yuzu]


"That's...." [Kouhei]


I don't want to admit it. Our married life, was not entirely filled with unpleasant memories. I had lots of fun and exciting memories with her. But, I couldn't deny it because it did end with the worst ending possible.


But even now...


I can't deny that Yuzu and I are the best of friends.


"That's right, because the source of problem is you ... the one who started to fall in love with me." [Kouhei]


"What?! It was you! It was Kouhei who fell in love with me!" [Yuzu]


"No! The first person who fell in love was you, Yuzuhana!" [Kouhei]


"But it was Kouhei who confessed and proposed to me!" [Yuzu]


"But you gave me the answer right away! Even if I was the one confessing to you, we never knew which one has feelings first!" [Kouhei]


"In other words, ... wait?! Did you not want to be friends with me?!" [Yuzu]


"Well, I didn't say that. But if Yuzu swear that she was the first one who fell in love with me, then I'll be your friend!" [Kouhei]


"That's my line! If you swear that you liked me first, then I'll be your friend!" [Yuzu]


While shooting sparks, Yuzu and I became friends again. Since this has already happened, then I hope I don't repeat the same mistake again. I heard that friendship between a man and a woman can't be established, but since we've failed once, then we should be able to stay friends like this, right?


"I was going to ask you since we're already friends, but are you free after this?" [Yuzu]


"Why?" [Kouhei]


"If you have free time, why don't we watch a movie?" [Yuzu]


"Kimiuta, huh?" [Kouhei]


"Yup. You like Kimiuta too, right?" [Yuzu]


"Yes, I love it, but I've watched it so many times." [Kouhei]


"I want to watch it at the cinema. I felt disappointed when someone said "I saw Kimiuta at the cinema and it was amazing." [Yuzu]


"Don't bring anyone else here." [Kouhei]


"I also felt satisfied with the bonus film." [Yuzu]


"Oh, that's right ... it really is a good tier movie ... then, I'll watch it again and brag about it." [Kouhei]


"I'll get better than you and make you regret it!" [Yuzu]

[TL: The souvenir from the movie maybe.]


After that, we choose souvenirs for Sana until afternoon, and after hearing the speech from the vice principal at the gathering place, we left the amusement park.



PREV | NEXT