Chapter 4: Sibling Quarrel

After school, I quickly returned home.

Although Hasumi had been inviting me almost every day recently, perhaps she sensed something from my sister's behavior this morning, as she didn't invite me today. This allowed me to return home promptly.

However, it had been about 7 or 8 hours since my sister had been in a bad mood.

It's probably time for her to have calmed down by now.

"I'm home."

As I entered through the front door, I said the usual greeting.

Normally, my sister would immediately jump out and say, "Welcome back!" but today, that didn't happen.

"Huh...? Nee-san?"

I called out, but there was no response.

...Maybe she hasn't come home yet.

I came home earlier than usual, and there's a possibility my sister has been out shopping at this time recently, something I might not be aware of.

"Thought so, but her shoes are here."

Wondering what was going on, I took off my shoes and entered the living room.

There, my sister was sitting on the sofa with her back turned to me.

"Oh, Nee-san, you're already home. I thought maybe you were out shopping or something ... what are you doing sitting on the sofa?"

I asked, but my sister seemed uninterested in answering and started talking without any connection to my question.

"You came home early today. Didn't you go play with your girl friend today?"

─ My sister is definitely holding a grudge.

I thought it was just a temporary emotion at that time, but it seems not.

"I don't understand why you're so mad, Nee-san. Instead of talking with your back turned, can't we face each other and talk?"

When I said that, my sister hesitated for a moment but slowly turned to face me.

"I'm not really mad, you know?"

"It's not very convincing when you say it with puffed-up cheeks like that."

"─But, but! I mean, I thought if you came home early today, it was because you didn't play with your girl friend. I wanted to spend more time with you after school, but you said you were playing with a girl, and I was like, 'Ha?' I'm angry! Really angry!"

"I don't get it. Why is it a problem if my friend is a girl?"

"It's not just that! Tsumugu doesn't understand! Tsumugu doesn't understand anything! I wish I hadn't been born as Tsumugu's older sister!"

The moment I heard those words, I felt a shock as if something in me had cracked.

We've had arguments before, but she had never said something like that.

"Don't say that, Nee-san ... I'm glad you're my sister. I don't know why you're so angry, and I don't understand what made you say that, but ... I don't want to lose the most important bond between us over a single argument..."

After conveying those heartfelt words, my sister widened her eyes and hastily said,

"N-No! I didn't say that because I hate Tsumugu! On the contrary, I love you, Tsumugu! I just said that because I love-- S-Sorry! It was my fault! I'm sorry! I'm so happy to have you as my little brother!"

"Nee-san... I'm relieved..."

I thought maybe I had become so disliked by my usually kind sister, but based on the words and emotions she just expressed, I could feel how much she loves me.

Then, with a gentle expression, my sister continued.

"I could never hate Tsumugu! I'll always love you, Tsumugu... Promise."

"Thank you, Nee-san."

Feeling the kindness and affection from my sister, the conversation seemed to come to an end ... or so I thought. My sister puffed up her cheeks again and said, "But..."

"I didn't hate Tsumugu or anything! I just thought ... you could have told me you made a girl friend? I would have been surprised if you hadn't hidden it."

"That's ... sorry, I didn't think it was necessary to tell you since it's not really something to hide."

"...You don't have a girlfriend, right?"

"N-No, definitely not."

I vigorously shook my head to deny it.

Then, my sister stopped puffing up her cheeks and smiled.

"I see... Well then, I'll make dinner!"

"Thanks, Nee-san."

"Yeah! Oh, by the way, next time, properly introduce me to Tsumugu's friend ... Hasumi, right?"

Although she seemed angry when I introduced Hasumi earlier, she still managed to remember her name.

"Yeah, I'll introduce her properly next time."

"Thanks!"

My sister showed me a smile and walked toward the kitchen.

"Despite everything, I'm glad I made up with Nee-san."

And so, the unusual sibling quarrel between me and my sister came to a close.


PREV | NEXT