Chapter 3: The True Identity Of A Friend

"Tsumugu? Today's lunch has miso soup, but it's insulated, so be sure to cool it down before eating to avoid burning your tongue, okay?"

On my way to school, my sister said this, looking worried about me.

While some might find it annoying to be told such things even in high school, I don't feel that way because I know my sister genuinely cares about me.

"I got it, thanks, Nee-san."

"Yeah."

Such conversations are a part of our everyday life.

Though I go to school with my sister about three times a week, it's more enjoyable than going alone.

As we walk along the commute route, a neighborhood older sister greets us casually.

"You two are lovey-dovey again today!"

"Haha, we're just siblings."

A brief exchange.

And then, my sister's cheeks seem to soften as if melting.

"Nee-san, I've said this before, but I don't think that sister is really serious, so don't take it too seriously..."

"I know~! But from an outsider's perspective, we might look like a loving couple! Tsumugu has a kind and cool face, but I don't look like you, so maybe people think we're like a couple! If only I looked more like Tsumugu, I've thought about that before, it's embarrassing~"

"Sure, our faces are different, but I think you have a kind and beautiful face, Nee-san."

"R-Really!? If Tsumugu says so, I'm hap──you haven't said that to any girls from our class, didn't you?"

"I'm..."

Just as I was about to say no, I recall the recent incident.

When asked if Hasumi's unique way of wearing the school uniform suited her, I said it did.

...But that was more about praising Hasumi's fashion than Hasumi herself, right?

At least, I can confidently say the only person who can I give a compliments without hesitation like this is my sister, who is related by blood.

"I haven't said it."

"What was that just now?"

"It's nothing."

"Really?"

"Yeah, really."

"If Tsumugu says so, it must be true!"

My sister said with a smile, unaware of any suspicion.

As we continue our conversation, we approach the school, and students in the same uniform as us become visible ... eh?

"That outfit..."

From the opposite diagonal, a girl with bright brown hair, stylish earrings, and an extravagant way of wearing the school blazer around her waist with a miniskirt walks toward us – it's Hasumi.

"Oh, it's Tsumugu!"

As Hasumi notices me approaching, she calls out my name.

My sister looks stunned.

"Ah, Nee-san, this is Hasumi Sumire, a friend from my class."

"Nice to meet you ... Tsumugu's sister, I'm seeing you for the first time, but you're incredibly beautiful──"

As Hasumi tries to say something, my sister grabs both of my shoulders and shakes me as if on a roller coaster.

"A friend, and she's a girl! When you said you were out playing with friends and came back, were you playing with this girl? Not a boy, huh!?"

"C-Calm down, Nee-san. As you can see, Hasumi is a girl."

"I can't calm down! Why didn't you tell me sooner!?"

"It's not a big deal whether a friend is a boy or a girl, right...?"

"It is a big deal! I believed in Tsumugu~!!"

While shouting, my sister runs toward the school alone.

Then, Hasumi apologizes with a somewhat apologetic expression.

"...Sorry."

"No, Hasumi did nothing wrong. My sister isn't at fault either ... so, is it my fault?"

"You're not at fault, Tsumugu. I'll vouch for you."

"If Hasumi vouches for me, I'm relieved."

"Yeah."

After that conversation, Hasumi, playing with her stylish earrings, suggests, "Since we're here ... let's go to school together."

"Eh? Oh, I was planning on that."

"I... see. Well, let's go."

Hasumi and I head to school together, engaging in casual small talk.

Nee-san ... I hope she'll be in a better mood after school.