Idle Talk (3)

[Fujiwara's POV]


Three years since graduating from the sports university and joining this company. I've grown accustomed to working in the sales promotion department, but now they're talking about a transfer. Honestly, I'm not thrilled about it. However, knowing that transfers were part of the job even before joining, I accepted it willingly.

During that time, Araki approached me. In his usual low voice, he said, "Fujiwara, clear your schedule for the afternoon." Perhaps, he doesn't know my first name.

But opportunities to hear about the business side of commercials don't come by often. Since I'll be doing a similar job from next spring, it was said to be a good learning experience.

Indeed, it was. He explained the effects and costs of commercials thoroughly, even the process of how they come together. I genuinely learned from his storytelling.

However, I didn't catch the finer details because...

"…………"

Araki sitting next to me had been frowning the whole time. He wasn't someone to make such a face when dealing with clients, but today, he kept furrowing his brows and occasionally forcing a smile. I began to doubt if he was really listening.

Goro Araki, 32 years old, single. Despite his unremarkable demeanor and appearance, he handles his work smoothly. I rely on him, and I genuinely respect him. Oh, and he was a former hardcore idol fan, despite being called "former" the reason for which is evident nearby.

I glance at the person sitting across from him. An unbelievably beautiful woman. My vocabulary fails to express it further. Ignoring me, she listens to the conversation about advertising.

Ah, I see.

That incredibly beautiful woman is Miina Yamamoto. Formerly known as Momoka Aimi, she used to be an idol. According to the advertising agency, the proposal was to feature her in our commercial. She has a track record with posters, and it's not a bad idea for us.

And this person is strongly recommended by Araki. I see.

(Well, that's nerve-wracking.)

I thought so, but memories resurface. I remember seeing them having a casual conversation when they were featured in our poster. But it seemed more relaxed back then.

"How about it?"

Just when my mind is elsewhere, the ad agency asks us. Even if they ask, I don't have the authority to decide. Neither does Araki. So, it's safe to say something like "We'll consider it."

"…Araki-san."

"Uh, oh, yeah?"

Since it's weird for me to say, it's better for Senior Araki to handle it. Normally, he would definitely do that, but today, his mind seems elsewhere.

To distract myself from that, he clears his throat. A sound like phlegm getting caught. Probably from smoking too much.

"S-Sorry. It's an attractive proposal, but may we have some time to consider?"

Did he really ask, or should I refrain from pointing that out?

"Of course. Both Miya-san and Yamamoto-san are eager to contribute to your company."

"R-Really? Uh, ahaha..."

But the flow is not smooth. Could he be feeling unwell? Despite the heating, is it that bad?

Miya-san and Yamamoto-san are both smiling and making polite gestures. Personally, I don't like it much, but there's no aversion to these two intriguing individuals. Perhaps it's because they exude charm.

"…!?"

"Whoa!?"

A strange sound escaped. The reason lies with the man next to me.

"W-What's wrong?"

"S-Sorry. Got startled by a bug ... Ahaha."

He suddenly jerked his body, and not only me but Miya-san and the ad agency are looking at him with skeptical glances. Only Yamamoto-san hasn't changed her expression. If anything, she still looks pleasant.

"If, um, you have any questions..."

When the ad agency said that, I pondered for a moment. However, it was Araki who spoke first.

"Why does it have to be Yamamoto-san?"

"W-Wait, Araki-san?"

The words slipped out unintentionally. Well, of course. Because that means—unless it's her, they're practically saying they won't sign the contract. Right in front of her.

Look, even the ad agency seems flustered. Well, of course. If they say something like "Yes, she'll do great!" it would be a total disaster.

But, the one who spoke first was...

"Ahaha. Oh, Araki-san. What do you mean?"

"W-Wait, Yamamoto-san?"

Her voice, which had been smiling all along, now had a forceful tone. She's smiling, but that makes it even scarier. What Araki said was a complete blunder. He needs to apologize quickly, otherwise, it will affect their relationship.

"Uh, Araki-san, you should apologize..."

"No, I can't just let it slide. Stepping on someone's foot during a meeting—ouch!?"

"Oh my, is something wrong?"

Foot? Is something wrong with his foot?

Today, it's a meeting with five people, so it's a small conference room. The distance between our legs is enough to reach each other. It's concerning.

But suddenly crouching down here would raise suspicions. It would seem like I'm peering at her feet. So, I deliberately dropped my pen.

"Oops, excuse me."

Since I dropped it under my own desk, I can check on this. Yamamoto-san is shooting daggers at Araki, so she seems unaware of my actions. This is a chance.

I bend down and look at Araki's feet. I can't believe my eyes.

(She's stepping on them...)

Her brown loafers are on top of his black leather shoes. No, it's not something cute like that. It's more like she's pressing down on them.

Thoroughly, I can hear the sound of leather rubbing against each other. I feel an intense resentment, as if she's embedding it deep into the ground.

"Fujiwara-san, is something the matter?"

My body jolts in surprise. It seems Yamamoto-san noticed my actions. But she doesn't move away from Araki's feet.

"Oh, it's nothing. I dropped my pen. Ahaha..."

Right now, I feel like I have to go along with her, or it might turn into something terrible later. I quickly stand up and force a smile. Yamamoto-san is still smiling. Scary. I don't want to get involved. Like Araki.

But still, what's the situation here?

First of all, why is Yamamoto-san stepping on Araki's feet? There must be a reason for her to do that, but there's too little information. I have no idea.

Could they be developing a deeper relationship behind my back? That possibility isn't zero. There were plenty of opportunities to interact, so Araki might have approached her.

"Umm, was that Araki's hobby or something?"

"Idiot. Like that'd be the case."

"Yeah, right..."

At the entrance of the company. First, I see off the ad agency, then Yamamoto-san. Finally, the one left is President Miya-san.

Me and Araki. Both facing her. Since she doesn't seem to want to leave, Araki got impatient.

"Thank you for today. Please."

"I'm leaving. You don't have to rush me."

The two seem to know each other. They're having a lively conversation in front of me. At least there's no sense of fear from them compared to Yamamoto-san.

"Oh, right. Fujiwara-san."

"Yes?"

The gaze that was directed at Araki now comes to me. She's someone who looks good with short blond hair.

Not only the gaze but also, step by step, she approaches me. I unconsciously brace myself, but it's a little too late.

"The image is essential for her profession too."

"Uh, yeah..."

"So—what you saw today, keep it to yourself."

I swallowed hard.

"If... if I let it slip?"

"Oh, come on. Please don't say it. It's not something easy to talk about."

With that, they left like a storm. Left behind are the man whose foot was stepped on and the man whose heart was pierced.

In the midst of a pitiful atmosphere, we eventually lock eyes. Strangely, I can empathize. With Araki's feelings.

"Are those people involved in some shady organization?"

"Could be."

I hope a day comes when this misunderstanding is cleared up. It probably won't come.

—Anyway, what I understood is that if I encounter a company where there's someone like Araki, it's important to gracefully withdraw. With someone like him, there's no way you can conduct normal sales activities.


PREV | NEXT