Chapter 63: Stella's Shop

While I was worried about something infiltrating the carriage unnoticed, a faint voice reached my ears.

"My head is spinning, and I feel like I'm going to throw up... ugh..."

Huh?

Anyway, I couldn't keep holding her indefinitely, so I had her sit on a nearby rock. When I inquired about the situation, it turned out she had been practicing writing on a slate inside the carriage. She started feeling unwell while engrossed in it. Well, doing something like that is bound to make you feel sick.

I pulled out a flask of grape brandy from my bag and let her smell it. The aroma filled the air. She sat beside me, and I lent her my shoulder.

"Sorry about this."

"Don't worry about it. Resting against someone makes you feel better."

"...Yes, you're right."

After a while, Tiana's complexion improved. Nick approached and playfully frolicked around Tiana's feet. Zeigt, who had dismounted, came over, raising an eyebrow. Despite his strange expression, the words he uttered were fortunately not mocking.

"Well then, let's push through a bit. We'll rest in town."

Zeigt pointed towards something in the distance that looked like a spire.

Since Tiana decided not to ride the carriage anymore, Comba and Eilia boarded it. Eilia mentioned that his injuries seemed to be healing well, and she got on confidently.

"Comba, did you get injured? How about Master?"

"Don't worry. Eilia treated it. Just need to finish it up."

I informed them that I wasn't injured and focused on being vigilant in the surroundings for a while. Since we were on the main road, I told Tiana about what happened inside the tunnel. Surprisingly, the thing that scared me the most was the bees. Other things might be hard to imagine.

"Come to think of it, why did the bees swarm me?"

"Maybe it's because of Nix. Hunting bees mainly prey on small animals like dogs or cats. Since he's sticking with Harris, the scent might have transferred."

I looked down at Nix, who was walking beside Tiana, wagging his tail with a foolish expression. Although I thought our relationship had improved recently, considering I was bitten by him the first time we met, could he secretly hold a grudge against me?

"Hey, Harris. You did it on purpose, right? Wipe that look off your face."

We finally arrived at Reckenberg town, and everyone was visibly fatigued. We decided to get an inn early. Renting two rooms separately for men and women, we each retired to our rooms. Zeigt left to greet Count Reckenberg and headed out. I watched him leave and then joined Comba in bed.

I woke up from a deep sleep to find it was evening.

"Hey, Harris. It's dinner time. Get up."

Despite the fatigue, I was awakened by a man with a robust voice.

"Do we need to wait for the ladies? Come on, wake up!"

I went downstairs, and Tiana approached, looking concerned.

"Master, are you alright?"

"Yeah, just still sleepy. But everyone seems energetic."

That's youth for you. Even Comba, who had suffered a serious injury, seemed nonchalant.

Together, we moved to Stella's shop.

"By the way, Zeigt, how did you become acquainted with the proprietor of a common eatery?"

"Oh, it's a recommended place by the Count. He mentioned coming here for meals occasionally."

"The lord dines at a town restaurant?"

"He's very approachable. A remarkable person. Besides, his sword skills are exceptional. He can take one out of three hits from me in a practice match."

I shrugged. It might be impressive, but it seemed like a story from a world unrelated to mine.

As we continued talking, we reached the shop. The exterior was grand, but it had a decidedly common atmosphere. It didn't give off the air of a high-class place where a lord would visit. However, an irresistibly good smell wafted in, and my stomach growled.

Inside, the place was crowded with customers. A pretty waitress, around Gina's age, approached us. Zeigt, managing the orders, placed them all at once. The waitress, casting somewhat rude glances at Zeigt, noticed six people.

"Hey, haven't you been here before?"

"Yeah, that's right. I remember you quite well."

"I wouldn't forget a handsome customer like you."

The waitress boldly remarked.

"Hey, Alice! Stop chatting with the customer!"

A vigorous voice echoed from the kitchen. Upon hearing that voice, Tiana's face lit up.

"Um ... is the owner doing well?"

"Alive and kicking. As you can hear. Huh? Did you come to this place before, missy?"

"Alice, stop babbling and help with the customers!"

A woman with sturdy arms, who might have been attractive to men in her younger days, stood nearby. I sensed a familiar scent, reminiscent of our guildmaster, Summard.

Tiana stood up, and the two exchanged words.

"Uh, I was in your care that time."

"Could you lift your face a bit? I don't recall anything like that. Are you sure you're not mistaking me for someone else?"

Tiana raised her head.

"No, it's just that I had wounds back then. You might remember differently. I was thinner, dragging my leg."

Stella focused on something in the upper-left, seemingly trying to recall.

"Tiana, you say..."

"Oh, from about six months ago!"

Stella suddenly hugged Tiana.

"You've changed so much. You look beautiful now. Almost like a young lady."

Tiana seemed uncomfortable with Stella's strong embrace. When Stella realized, she released Tiana, who retrieved a dark green scarf from her bag.

"I could only prepare something like this ... it's just a little token. I hope you like it."

Stella stared at the scarf held by Tiana. Gently accepting it with her large hands, Stella examined the surface. After a brief moment of looking down, she suddenly turned around and wordlessly returned to the kitchen. Tiana was left there, looking bewildered.