Chapter 125: Isn't This What Envy Is All About?

This is my first time coming to an underground idol show. The audience is all girls, so it's not comfortable for me.

"What should I do ... there are only girls... ugh!"

Moo-chan has a sickening expression on her face. I unintentionally pat her back.

"What's wrong?"

"...I've always been a science major, so a space with only girls like this might be a little tough..."

The words she mutters with a pale face do not seem to be a lie. The Rikejou Princess, on the contrary, may not be able to adapt to the world of girls.

"Well, if it's okay with me, a guy, I'll be next to you, so don't worry."

"Yeah, thanks, Tokiwa..."

Moo-chan hugs me tightly in her arms.

--- "Sorry for the wait, princesses! Let's go!!!"

A grand intro begins to play and the lights shine on the stage. The handsome men stood in a row. Watanuki stood proudly in the middle of them.

""""Kyaaaahhhh!!!""""

The girls' voices echoed. The girls were just about to the very edge of the stage, entranced by the idols.

"Wow, this is amazing. This is a live performance of underground idols? They're so irresistible."

I feel a little envy. The idols are being cheered on by the girls. The level of popularity is unbelievable.

"How about you, Moo-chan? Are you attracted to people like that?"

"Eh? Not really."

I asked out of curiosity, but Moo-chan didn't seem at all interested. She was playing with the ends of her hair.

"Because I'm sure those people aren't interested in wave functions, the behavior of elementary particles, or the trend of unified theory, are they? I don't think we'd get along."

"I don't know much about those theories, and I'm not interested in them either."

"But Tokiwa, you have studied sciences like architecture, right? I don't want to talk with someone who is not interested in science because their worldview is too narrow."

I thought Moo-chan was a meek type, but she seems to be consistent about her taste in men. Maybe she's just calling him a humanities boyfriend because she's a member of the female hierarchy and is popular.

"But it would be fun to make those idols the subject of science!"

"What are you talking about?"

Moo-chan looks at the idols with a twinkle in her eye, but it's not in a girl-in-love kind of way, more like the way she looks at a frog waiting to be dissected.

"The pattern of the backlight flashing on the stage may be based on empirical rules, but there must be a theory behind it based on human cognitive patterns, such as the hypnotic effect of the penlight staring method, which probably exists. In addition, I think that the pretense stimulates the nerves that control the mating behavior of the female and induces mating, and these girls are using words like "oshi" and "love" to cover up their perceptions, but in reality, this behavior is mating and reproductive behavior to mate and be conceived. It's interesting, very interesting."

"Oh, oh. Yeah."

"Ah, I'm sorry! Please forgive me, I often talking too much!"

Moo-chan apologized to me, sticking out her tongue, but I think this kind of fast-talking would be frowned upon in the girl's world. I wonder. I'm starting to think that this Rikejo Princess is a poor girl who can never be anything but a Hime-sama. After the song was over, it was time for the MC talk. The girls nodded their heads and laughed happily as the idols talked amongst themselves.

"How was it? Hozumi's performance? Wasn't it cool?"

Nomoto comes over to our side. She looks confident.

"Yes, it is. That was cool."

There was no reason to deny it, so I nodded. Nomoto nodded too, as if she was satisfied with that.

"How was it, Moo-chan? Isn't my boyfriend nice?"

She want to make her jealous. I think that is one of the principles of human mounting behavior. Moo-chan must have sensed the scent of it. She is furrowing her brow.

"Actually, I'm going to a launch party with Hozumi and the group members after this, but would you like to come too, Moo-chan?"

"Launch? Could that possibly mean you're inviting only me?"

"Yes. Isn't it too tight? Unlike Hozumi and his friends, your boyfriend is a normal person. I don't want to make you feel awkward, so I'm being careful."

That's not being careful at all. But if you're a normal girl, this might be a tough choice. Her friend's boyfriend is awesome and cooler than her own boyfriend. But the other side of Nomoto's words says that she'll introduce her to guys with the same specs as her boyfriend. If she refuse, she'll just go home with a boyfriend who is not as cool as her friend's boyfriend. That would be miserable. As a fake boyfriend, I don't blame Moo-chan for leaving me alone and going to the party. But I don't know.

"That's not true..."

Moo-chan murmurs in a whisper.

"Hmm? What did you say?"

"My man isn't normal! He's an amazing man!"

Moo-chan shouts as she squeezes my arm. Her screams were drowned out by the blaring sound of the live music venue. It echoed firmly in my ears.

"Hmm, hmm. You're protecting your boyfriend. That's very kind of you, Moo-chan. But hey, don't you want to go out with someone nice? The members are free right now, so I'm sure you'll be able to get together with them, Moo-chan."

"That's why I said Tokiwa is wonderful!

Moo-chan bellowed again at Nomoto, who was still trying to bite back. Then I suddenly realized why Nomoto insisted on taking me to the party.

"More than those idols, no! Tokiwa is a much, much nicer person than your boyfriend!"

Swamped her with the idolling game of underground idols. I think that would explain the aggressive solicitation to launch. If they were to get her into the sex industry, they would make a lot of money because she's beautiful and stylish. But Nomoto and Moo-chan are still very close friends. I don't think it's just about money. I'm more concerned about the circumstances that compelled Nomoto to do so with her friend.

"Well, then, show me what a nice boyfriend you have, Moo-chan. I'd like to see your boyfriend's nice things!"

"...Nggghh...okay! Yes, I'll show you! There's nothing that the prince of DV in Sapporo can't do!

What is Prince DV? The nickname is too bad! Or rather, Moo-chan. You're saying weird things again! I'm going to have to do something, aren't I?

"And, Tokiwa..."

Moo-chan is looking at me expectantly. It's cute, but too reckless. But I have to do it. I'm a man, after all.

"Okay, okay. I'm going to go get ready, you two wait here."

I said and headed for the exit of the live music club.

"Heh? I think your boyfriend is running away."

"That's not true! I believe you, Tokiwa!"

I'm glad you said that. So I'll live up to your expectations. Watch me shine brightly.








[Moo-chan's POV]

Momentum is scary. But I can't back out now. I had a bad feeling about today from the moment I got the call. Nomoto was trying very hard to call me out. I could hear the impatience in her voice. I complied because she was one of my few friends. But I was scared, so I asked Tokiwa to follow me. The fake boyfriend thing was just a lie. It was just my way of making a big deal out of a bad feeling I had. Nomoto was trying to make me envy her for dating an underground idol. I guessed that she wanted me to be swamped by her by inviting me to the launch party and having me go out with the underground idol guy. I wondered if she was trying to get me swamped and into the sex industry. But Nomoto is not that kind of person. I know that very well. She was the one who truly protected me when I tended to float. Even what I am doing now is an imitation of her. I like Nomoto. Even when she is trying to deceive me like this, I still like her. There is a reason. In fact, I thought that the reason is probably because of me. Even before I entered the university, I received invitations from various people. I was invited by many people before I entered the university to make use of my talents to make the world a better place. Everyone was holding up such a building as if they were all sealed with a seal. Everyone needs my talent. But I am only interested in the truth. I had always refused such requests. So I was sure that the people who were trying to use Nomoto to get me were trying to set me up for something. I could have ignored it. But if I did that, I would feel sorry for Nomoto. I didn't want to do that. She was mean today, but she was usually a kind girl. I had promised her that one day I would introduce her to someone I liked. That promise has yet to be fulfilled. I am the only one who can protect Nomoto. But can I count on her? Tokiwa easily answered that he understood my reckless question. He is the boy on whom that Yuzuriha depends. So I wanted to expect it. Would he be able to brush away the hand that was pressing on me and Nomoto? If he can do that, I think that would be really cool.

--- "Yay! The last song of the day is a favorite of the princesses too ... wow!!!"

At that moment, the live house went completely dark. Everyone starts to buzz, but the lights soon come back on.

"What? No way...?"

I was surprised. The man in the spotlight in the middle of the stage was Tokiwa.

"What? Who is it?", "Surprise?", "Does he have a nice face?", "But doesn't he look like a gangster?", "Is the atmosphere different from the group?", "I think so!"

The girls in the audience are not hiding their confusion. Tokiwa is asking about his exaggerated costume, which looks like a big court dress. He looked like a king while everyone around him looked like a prince.

"The time for cackling at the prince is over. It's time for the king now...! Kneel down! Let's Music!"

As if on cue, a band appears behind the stage and begins to play their instruments. Watanuki-kun and the rest of the prince group, who had been there since the beginning, cringed miserably at the sudden situation.

--- "■■■■■~♪"

The song that Tokiwa was singing was by Milan from his group. Beautiful melody and powerful vocals. And it was magical. Above all, his behavior had a "dignity" that the prince didn't have.

--- "Kyaaa! The King!"

A girl's voice echoed from the audience. That triggered the girls' voltage to rise. At first, they must have been puzzled, but now they are all enthralled by Tokiwa's stage presence. Their enthusiasm is different from what it was a moment ago. There was nothing meek about it anymore. Above all, I feel a solemn, maniacal, and holy fervor. They are absorbed in it. No, no. This is drunkenness. Everyone is intoxicated by his charisma. I walk unsteadily up to the stage. I walk through the girls and come up to Tokiwa. I look up at him standing on the stage. Then he notices me, crouches down in place, and puts his hand on my chin.

"Chu..."

He took my lips. The envious gazes of the girls around me made me tingle and tremble. I was chosen. The king has chosen me! I turn around. Nomoto is in the back of the live house. She is staring at me with regretful eyes. Seeing that, for the first time, I thought I had won. And at the same time, I was swamped by the king. Just like any other girl around here.












It felt good to slap the cheeks of the master and staff of the live music club with a wad of cash. I bribed the staff with the power of money and brought in a band on short notice with the power of money to cover Milan's song, which was good because it was well received for an impromptu performance. There is nothing better than surprise in this world. I thought it wouldn't be difficult to jack the stage if the princes were puzzled and I sang the song with dignity, but it worked. And after the concert, me, Moo-chan, Nomoto, and Watanuki had a meeting on the stage.

"So you're saying that was Hagiri's idea, right?"

It seems that the plan was to swamp Moo-chan with underground idols and put her in a difficult situation, then Hagiri would ingratiate himself with Moo-chan and tie her up.

"Yes. I was threatened with a story about a scandal a group member had committed, and he helped me to set up a maneuver with Mizuki to help me out of my trouble. I was the only one at fault. She had nothing to do with it."

Watanuki got down on his knees in a dignified manner toward me and Moo-chan. I mean, Hagiri. He's a real scumbag, even when he's not in Japan, he's giving me trouble. But it's hard to blame him, since Moo-chan wasn't part of the terms of the truce with him. Or perhaps Hagiri doesn't know that I'm acquainted with Moo-chan.

"You're the kind of guy who can apologize. And you're defending a girl? Even though you're an accomplice?"

"I'm an idol to make the girls happy. I don't mean to make them cry."

"Hozumiiiiii! Uwaaaaaaa!"

Nomoto is crying at Hozumi's cool dare. I can't be so tough when I see something like this.

"But I was wrong. There are underground idols who prey on the girls of their fans. The guy who did it in my group was one of them. I was wrong to protect him. I'm going to expel him from the group. We'll start over. If you'll forgive me, of course."

I cower. I have no reason to blame these two.

"How about you, Moo-chan?"

"Huh? Me? ......No one was hurt. So I guess it's okay."

Moo-chan smiles. She has no particular grudge. Nomoto cries and bows to Moo-chan.

"I'm really sorry! I was your friend, so I'm sorry because I did this to you!"

"Nah. Now I know what it's like to be a girl who would do anything for a boyfriend or someone she's swamped with. So it's okay."

"Moo-chan! Uwaaaa!"

Nomoto hugs Moo-chan and cries wanly. Moo-chan patted her back with tenderness. I guess that settles the matter, huh?

"Well. Let's go to the launch! Let's enjoy the night in Kabukicho."

I invite the three of them to the party. And we left the live house.










[Moo-chan's]

Today's concert was a memory I will remember for the rest of my life. I learned the feeling of being swamped by something other than the truth. I learned that I am a proper girl. I couldn't help but look forward to the days of this summer with him.








***Author's musings***

Kanata was the one who is becoming aware that he has charisma. I personally find it a bit emo that Kanata is on the stage this time, not Milan.



I also submitted this work to a contest. Please support me.



If possible, I would be happy if Arthur-san and Beth-san read it too.

Also, I've been dropping some notes on setting and other small things in the status report, so please take a look at it once in a while.