Chapter 14

"This place..."

"Mia. I love you. Let's start over."

"N-No ... you're lying..."

Mia shakes her head.

"It's not a lie. I love your gentle personality. I even like your slightly selfish side. I love your long hair. But I also love it when it's short. I like your face, too. It's not about types, I just love your face. I love everything about you."

"Stop it! You didn't say things like that before!"

Tears gather in the corners of Mia's eyes.

"I'll say it properly this time. If you want, I'll hold your hand. Hug you. Even more than that."

"Stop it!"

A single tear rolls down Mia's cheek.

"I betrayed Akito. I cheated! I'm the one who messed up! You can't say you love me after what I did!"

Mia cries and screams, tears streaming down her face.

"No, I set that up. I'm the one who betray you. You did nothing wrong."

"We held hands! We hugged!"

"It doesn't matter."

"I've become tainted..."

"I want to know how you feel, Mia. Do you hate me?"

I interrupt Mia's words.

Mia shakes her head.

"Do you like me?"

"I don't know."

Mia shakes her head again.

"Then, do you like Kaito?"

"...I don't know."

Mia answers after a long pause.

"Why?"

"...I liked him. But now, I don't know. I don't know if Kaito likes me. Even though I'm here, he laughs with other girls. But I did the same to Akito, so I can't say anything, and I don't know what to do."

Mia speaks hesitantly, with her head bowed.

"....Maybe he won't changed."

Of course, that guy becomes a protagonist by his own choice.

"I think so too."

Mia also seems to sense that, agreeing with a sad expression.

"I only see you, Mia."

"...Really?"

Mia looks up at my face.

"Yeah."

I smile and nod at Mia.

"I understand."

Mia slowly stands up. She locks eyes with me.

"But don't get me wrong. I don't like you. So, we're not dating."

What does she mean?

"But, I don't like Kaito anymore. So, I'll break up with him. And if you're serious, then win me over. Any complaints?"

"No, no. Thank you."

Just because I took the event doesn't mean it's going to be easy to date her. But we've reached the starting line. Both the protagonist and I are on equal footing. Today, I've proven to myself that even as a supporting character, I can compete with the protagonist. I won't let Mia go.

"...The fireworks are over."

Mia gazes up at the sky.

The sky is adorned with stars and a full moon.

"Shall we go home? I think it's enough to just message Kaito. The student council president and Koharu are probably still with him."

Mia takes out her phone with a calm expression.

No, maybe he is—

"Haa... haa... Mia, you're here..."

In front of us, the protagonist appears, breathing heavily.

"Kaito!"