Chapter 31: Release


TL: Scaramochi


***


With a cockatrice-like glance, Commander Marc Gabueira of the Order of the Eagle left the room with his footsteps high in the air. The knights followed behind him.


The leader of the most famous knight order of the day may have been offended, but it was unavoidable. I don't want to go to jail for confessing to spending fake money that I didn't do for his career. It's not even a completely innocent crime.


If it had been only the Knights, they might have tried to get me to confess by beating me to a pulp. Consul Lancer, whose subordinate officials were whispering to, and Summard, the guildmaster, who didn't want to let me go, at least for now, were present with a reluctant look on her face.


As a result, the macho old man came right up to me and was limited to threatening me with spit flying around.


If I was going to be abused, I would have preferred a female knight sitting at a desk with a guileless look on her face. That would have been an extravagant.


Still, the interrogation lasted for a long time, and when I was fed up inwardly, a young man with a kind face came into the room with a bunch of documents.


He is a little thin, but looks like he might be popular with women. He overheard something to Commander Marc.


Wrinkling the forehead of his excellent face, Commander Marc stared at the young man.


The young man continued to speak further, undaunted, and as a result, I was successfully exonerated.


Consul Lancer and the officials leave, biting back yawns, leaving only the guildmaster, Summard, and me in the room.


Although she wasn't actively defending me, the atmosphere was considerably eased thanks to Summard's continued nonchalant attitude.


I incidentally thank her on behalf of Tiana for the candy.


"I just couldn't eat them all by myself. I'm wasting my flesh if I keep eating sweets, you know."


That being said, Summard's body is stocky but without a trace of flab. Is she really over 50?


"And she's a good girl. If I'm going to have grandchildren, I want them to be like her."


"Thank you."


Summard casually approaches me as we make small talk.


I glance at the entrance to the room and mutter to myself.


"To avoid causing her grief, don't touch any counterfeit money or anything dangerous in the future."


"Future?"


She snickers at my reply.


"The two people who are alleged to be in possession of the fake gold coins this time, Zoe and his uncle Moore, are probably lying about receiving them from you as a deposit on the sale of the rental house. But I'm sure you're involved. I know about that thing."


What the? She knew about the zeonite stone? I scratch my neck. What should I say in reply?


"Well, that's okay. Harris. It is true that you have done a lot for the guild lately. Let's not pursue this any further."


"Can I indulge you with one more thing because I am somewhat appreciated?"


I make a small request to the guildmaster who raises her eyebrows.


"You want to make this nanny break her bones, don't you?"


"You're still young, aren't you? Besides, I can only ask the guildmaster for a favor."


"Very well. I'll try to live up to that trust."


She held out her hand to me, and when I shook it, it was squeezed with a tremendous, stupid force. It was only for a moment, but the pain lasted for a while. She was a hell of a woman.


I accompanied the guildmaster to the adventurers' guild.


So far, so good.


I asked Jonathan, who had come out to pick me up, to leave a message for Comba, and hurried home.


As expected, I don't think there will be a blackout, but I searched for signs of the surroundings. Because of the clouds, it was almost completely dark outside of the main street, but it was more convenient for me. I didn't think any of the knights had night vision as good as mine.


I reached home safely, locked the door firmly, and turned around to see Tiana standing in the corner of the room.


She came running and jumped on me as if she was going to hit me. She held on to me tightly.


I stayed in that position for a while, but then she quickly jumped away.


"I-I'm sorry."


Tiana, who sounded a little nasally, bowed her head.


I touched my chest where her face was and it was a little wet.


"Dinner will be served soon."


She kept her face down and left for the kitchen like a whirlwind, just as she had come.


"Oh, dear. I'm glad you're home safe and sound."


Gina emerges from her room.


"Yeah. It was a damn long interrogation, but whatever."


"Thanks to the spell, I guess. Well, now I can finally have dinner. My stomach gets heavy if I eat too late."


"Hmm? You haven't eaten yet?"


"Tiana wants to wait for you to come home. I can't eat alone, can I?"


Tiana lays out dinner for three at the table.


"I cooked it too long and all the meat melted. I'm sorry."


Tiana is horrified.


I spoon some into my mouth. I put it in my mouth, pursing my lips and puffing on it. It was hot, but the flavor of the meat was soaked up and indescribable.


"It doesn't taste the same. I'm tired, so I'm probably rather glad I don't have to chew as much."


"Really?"


"Oh. You should have just eaten first instead of worrying about me."


"I was too worried to eat."


"I see......."


I eat another bowl of stew and wipe the sauce left on my plate with a piece of bread.


"Looks like I won't have to do the dishes."


Gina said with a laugh, pointing to my plate.


"I'd like to lick it. It's so good."


"Really?"


Tiana is back to her usual self.


"Oh. It's even better than usual. Maybe it's because I didn't get to eat Tiana's cooking during the trip."


I was really enjoying the taste for the first time in a long time. I was enjoying the taste of the food and the wine.


The interrogation was uneventful, but that was a consequence. If one of the gears had gone wrong, I might be lying in a prison cell in the basement of the government office, covered in blood. I thank God that we are able to sit at the table peacefully like this.


I looked at Tiana's face, whose smile had returned to her face, and again raised my glass of wine.



PREV | NEXT