Chapter 16: Driving Away


TL: Scaramochi


***


As I looked over at Zeigt astride his horse, I noticed a lot of people hanging out on the street.


They're looking away from my house. I looked next door and saw old lady Odie. Our eyes meet and she bowed her head and pulled away.


I guessed that she was concerned about the Holy Knight's visit to my house. I guessed that she had imagined that he had come to capture me.


What a thief can do that will need a holy knight go out of his way to capture him? It makes me laugh.


Well, let's go back to the house and continue where we left off. I guess she is probably cleaning up after the meal, so I might as well hug her from behind.


Since she's wearing a top and bottom layer of clothing today, I'll reach around her waist and run my fingers up her body. I wonder how she will react if I run my tongue up her neck at the same time.


I enter the house, my heart pounding with anticipation.


Tiana had just taken off her apron and was coming out of the kitchen.


I had changed my plans and was thinking we would have sex on the couch as originally planned, but Tiana had the jump on me.


"We're going to be a little short on breakfast since we've already served tomorrow's portion to our guests. May I go shopping?"


"But it's almost time for women and children can go out alone."


"I apologize for the lack of control. It was my fault for not shopping more earlier."


"No, if anyone is to blame, it's Zeigt, who ate without restraint, and me, who told you to serve food to such a guy."


"No, you're not. It's not your fault."


Tiana clutches her apron and bows her head.


Oh, at this rate, it's going to be an endless sorry. I'd better go shopping with her.


"Well then, I'd like to buy some more sake, too, and we'll do some quick shopping."


***


Tiana was sorting through the unsold fish and I was picking out the sake.


A middle-aged woman with droopy eyes and a good-natured look comes fidgeting into the store.


I caught her out of the corner of my eye as she approached, a relieved look on her face when she saw Tiana.


She speaks to Tiana in a rapid-fire manner, picks up a nearby item, pays for it, and walks out.


Something was fishy.


When she finished shopping and left the store, Tiana came quickly to my side and whispered to me.


"Excuse me, Master. Master, there is someone in trouble. She wants you to do something about it."


"That's what the lady just said, isn't it?"


"Yes. Can you please do something about it?"


"We have nothing to do with this, do we?"


"Yes, but ....... please."


Oh, for God's sake. Don't look at me like an abandoned dog who's barely noticed my presence on the side of the road.


"Which way?"


"That way, Master."


Tiana pointed to a street with relatively inexpensive rooms for rent.


Well, it's not much of an incident in a small town like this.


As I walked quickly toward it, I heard the sound of something being thrown out and some cursing.


When I got there, I found Gina, the mage I had partnered with the other day, standing amidst the bags scattered on the street. Something was thrown out again from the house in front of her.


"Good evening. What's up at this hour?"


I let out a deliberately relaxed voice.


She looks down once she sees my face, but quickly looks up.


"You see. I was evicted from the house I was renting."


I guess that's why she had that look on her face. I could tell that much by looking at her.


"It's her fault for not paying the rent on time. I've been remind her repeatedly."


A middle-aged man spits out from the doorway.


"I paid you earlier, you know."


"For up until yesterday. You can't pay in advance after today, so I'm going to ask you to leave, of course."


"But you know, you don't have to kick me out at night like this."


"Strangers stay out of it."


The man released the last of her belongings and went to the doorway with his wand at the ready, chanting a short incantation.


After he left, his footsteps echoing in the air. Gina, who was left behind, began to gather up the scattered items on the street.


Tiana approached with a lamp to light her hand.


"There's something down over there, too."


I pointed outside the circle of pale light and Gina picked it up.


"You've got good night vision indeed."


Gina begins stuffing the items she picked up into a large bag.


"What do you mean? It sound a bit arrogant."


"Well, you know. I just found out about it a few minutes ago. but that man seems to be Zoe's uncle."


"Oh, so he's one of the three vanguard guys. He's just trying to harass you for embarrassing you, huh."


"That's what it looks like."


"So what are you going to do about it?"


"I'm going to rent an eave somewhere. Tomorrow, when the gates open, I'll go to another town. Well then, thank you."


Gina starts walking, dragging the sack behind her.


"Um."


Gina turned at the sound of Tiana's voice.


"If you would like, why don't you come to our house ...... and visit my Master's house?"


"Huh?"


Gina was taken aback. Then, I looked up at the night sky, as I had half-imagined.


"It's not safe for a woman to be alone at night, no matter what town she's in."


I looked down and Tiana was staring at me as if to ask me a question.


"Master is a kind person. He doesn't abandon people in need."


Is that so? She saw me like that? I scratch my head.


Hmm. Well, under the circumstances, I don't see how this could be an act to send Gina to my house. It was just a coincidence that she went shopping.


Could it be a trap of some kind?


"That's what I mean. How about staying at least one night for now?"


"Sure?"


"I didn't think I could just ignore you."


See? I was right, wasn't I?


Tiana happily begins to lead the way with the lamp.


Gina looks at me for a moment and then starts to walk with Tiana.


I follow her, seemingly oblivious to the piercing glare on my back.


Well, I convinced myself, she owes me 2 gold coins after all.



PREV | NEXT