Chapter 18: Shota Reaches The Realm


TL: Akabane


***


The people of the Minazuki family are such nice people. For someone like me, a mere amateur novelist, they put aside all their pride and cooperated with me on my novel.


If it were normal ...... it would be a disgrace to expose such an abomination to a complete stranger. But I decided to understand that they must have been prepared for that and hung their hopes on my future.


I really didn't want them to see me like that, but they were merciful enough to sacrifice themselves to let me write the novel.


That's how I understand it.


No, that's what I have to understand. Otherwise, my head wouldn't be able to keep up.


Please let it be so ...... or else it will be as if the family wanted to expose me to their perversity......


But whatever their motives, I managed to write the two latest chapters. I made a reserved submission for each and went to bed near dawn.


It was quite a physical exertion, but I'm proud to say that it turned out reasonably well. The pervert trophy they had given me was shining. If I could rely on them in my writing, at least I wouldn't have any trouble developing them.


So I went to sleep feeling pretty good about my work. Besides, I had submitted two chapters. I'm sure the rankings will be flipped in the morning.


That's what I thought.


But.....


"............"


When I woke up, I was absolutely mortified.


"You're lying......"


Apyama Tsukina, aka DUsa Mochizuki, was still sitting in first place. No, I could still understand if that was all. I simply couldn't keep up with her. What surprised me was the time it took her to post her latest chapter. She posted her latest chapter about half a day after posting the previous one.


That means she also started posting two chapters.


She also seemed to be trying hard not to be overtaken by me in the rankings. During the day she works on the student council election, and after school she works part-time at a cat café. And with an election speech coming up today, when in the world would she have time to post two chapters?


Maybe she's been writing them down?


For a moment, I thought about that, but I quickly denied it.


It couldn't be. Aoyama had seen me and Suzune nyan-nyan in the thicket, and had written and posted a story modeled on it that very day.


If that's the case, then.......


I caught a glimpse of the seriousness of a girl named Aoyama Tsukina.


***


I go to school with a little depressed in the morning because I didn't get the results I wanted, and apparently Suzune went to school early this morning because she had to prepare for her campaign speech, so it was just Shota and I......


"S-Shota?"


I'm not sure what's going on with my best friend. He's always been a little strange before, but today is more strange.


"Shota? Hey, can you hear me?"


"Ah, ah......."


I wonder if Shota's sensors are full of garbage, or if Shota's response is ridiculously bad. I check his ear and eye sensors, but his eyes are buckeye and his ears are not clogged with earphones or other obstructions. He is staring at me with his battered eyes, but his response is so small that I fear he may be a bug.


"Shota, are you feeling sick?"


"Um....."


Shota shakes his head from side to side at a micro level.


"Did something unfortunate happen?"


"Um......."


And to this question, Shota still moves his head slightly from side to side.


"Then, what's wrong? Maybe that thing yesterday?"


That's when I asked him.


"Noooooo!"


Shota Gorilla's exclamation echoed through the school hallway, and I hurriedly covered Shota's mouth as the students around us looked at us to see what was going on.


"S-Shota, I'm sorry! I'm sorry, calm down a little!"


I knew it. It seems that yesterday's incident had triggered a bug in Shota's brain.


That's right. He was in his own house and his best friend was doing such a disgusting thing to his sister and his mother. If he were a normal person, he would have gone crazy. Well, if you ask me if Shota is a normal person, I doubt it, but anyway, that thing yesterday was too much of a stimulant.


I thought Shota was enlightened. No, in fact, he was on the verge of reaching that level. But the desire to tarnish Shota's clear mind. It was polluting Shota's mind.


"I'm sorry, Shota! I'm really sorry!"


I could only apologize flatly while covering his screaming mouth. I can only apologize flatly with my mouth closed as he screams.


"No, it's not you who's at fault. It's my problem that I can't reach that level."


Shota apologizes in return, "I'm the one who's apologize."


"Ryutaro. You may not believe me, but there's something wrong with me lately."


With that, Shota begins to speak. Before I know it, his eyes have returned to that of an ordinary person.


"I was stepped on by Suzune ...... No, I awakened to something on that day I was stepped on. Is it easier to understand if I call it a revelation?"


No, it's easier to understand if you call it a proclivity than a revelation.


"Anyway, that day I awoke. I felt a clarity in my mind, and I was able to view the fact that I was now being stepped on by my sister as some kind of a test from God against me."


And my best friend, starts to say some pretty badass things.


"So from that day on, I decided to accept everything Suzune, Mom ...... or even Mom's words and actions towards me as a test from God. If I can get through this ordeal, I will truly be enlightened."


"Well, isn't that a noble deed....."


"No, but it's crazy. I've been trying to purify my mind for a long time. I've been trying to purify my mind, and in fact I've been suppressing my vexations, and when I felt I couldn't suppress my vexations, I would continue to do sutra chanting. And yet ...... nevertheless ...... my head is heavy. It's like there's something heavy on top of my head, and instead of getting rid of that feeling, it's getting worse......."


"S-Shota, is that.....?"


I'm not sure what he's talking about, but it's something I'm very familiar with, and my eyes widen.


"Hey, please Ryutaro, don't think I'm weird, just listen to me. I was feeling heavy-headed, so one day, after taking a bath, I looked in the mirror. Then I saw a big trophy-like object on top of my head."


"Noooooooooo!"


Oh my God.


Shota. Don't tell me you've reached that level too?! The trophy that I thought only I could see is visible to your eyes too?!


I exclaim in shock, and once again, I am met with a single-minded gaze from the students around me.


"Oh, hey Ryutaro, calm down! What's the matter?!"


I finally huffed as Shota shook my shoulder and I hurriedly shook my head.


"Ah, sorry ......, please continue the story."


"Oh, oh ...... and anyway, I have this weird trophy-like thing on my head, and I can't get this guy out of my head. The more I see Suzune and my mom being nice to Ryutaro, the heavier and heavier this guy gets. So I've decided to call this guy a demon."


Shota calls the object I call a trophy and appreciate it as a demon.


"I fight this demon. I can't let this thing lead me astray. Sometimes I get lightheaded like I did earlier, but I will never give in to temptation from this demon. Ryutaro. You may not understand what I'm saying, and you may think I'm crazy. But watch me. I will overcome this demon."


Shota's words sounded incoherent, but I could understand them.


Apparently, perverted trophies are inherently abhorrent. I couldn't stop shaking at Shota's words. I thought I was the normal guy and Shota was the crazy guy. But Shota said it was the opposite.


Shota trying to overcome the demon's temptation, and me thanking the demon for the temptation and colecting it, as if it a normal things.


It is strange.


The way you put it, you make it sound like I'm a lunatic.......



PREV | NEXT