Chapter 51: Sasaki's Determination And The Final Phase


TL: Scaramochi


***


[Sasaki's POV]


Kikikiki I kissed him!


As soon as I get back to my apartment, I look at my face in the mirror. 


These lips were on Makishima's cheeks....... 


I wanted that time we walked hand in hand on our aquarium date to last forever, and when we let go of each other's hands in front of the elevator at the station, I lost control of my feelings. 


I was so moved at the time that I kissed Makishima....... Thinking back on it now, I did a great thing. 


"I've never been this nervous before." 


When I was an idol, I was never particularly nervous when I was on stage or on location. 


And yet...... now I can't contain my nervousness. 


"Anyway, if I was going to do it anyway, I should have done it on the lips instead of the cheeks......." 


But I feel like a child with cheeks kisses.


But I've made some progress. 


I've calmed down a bit, and I start to reflect on the situation in my brain as I remove my makeup. 


Makishima didn't refuse my kiss. 


And he held my hand the whole time, which definitely brought us even closer. 


"Hehehe, I did my best, didn't I?" 


Now I have to tell Makishima what I've done so far. 


About my first love, about what happened after I quit being an idol, about how I chased after Makishima and came here. 


I had planned to confide in him someday, but I was afraid that he might be too desperate...... and pull away, so I didn't have the courage to do so. 


But...... I don't want to run away now that I've come this far. 


"I'll make sure to tell you next time I see you." 


I'm not going to run away now. 


I picked up my phone to make the next appointment with Makishima. 


Then I notice that Makishima has already sent me two Lime messages. 


The first one seemed to have come a long time ago ...... maybe I didn't notice it because I was in agony earlier. 


At any rate, I open my phone and check the contents of the Lime. 


[There's the first round of the Emperor's Cup on May 16. It's an important match, so I definitely want you to come watch.]


Emperor's Cup means he's up to the first team, right? 


Makishima is working hard...... I, too, have to work hard. 


***


After Golden Week, Azaki and I were called to the meeting room for the A-team before joining the first team. 


Inside were the three A-team coaches and in the center of the room was....... 


"Seiichi Azaki, Yutaro Makishima." 


""Yes!"" 


A small, fat, middle-aged man with bad eyesight called us both over. 


This man is Murazaki, the coach of Koto University's A team. 


"I will give you the A team uniforms before you join us tomorrow." 


Manager Murazaki looked over to the coach, and the coach handed us two uniforms, one for home and one for away. 


Uniforms? It's not really a game, so why? 


Don't tell me we're playing a game right now, like a final test or something.......? 


"From now on you guys--" 


Gulp and spit. 


What the hell kind of test is this? 


"Have your picture taken in uniform." 


"Yes?" 


It's unexpected and I can't help but ask back. 


"Recently, the Emperor's Cup is being streamed on the Internet, so I want a picture of it. I just wanted some for our website, so I'll have them taken." 


While the coach was talking, the coaches started getting the camera and backdrop ready. 


I wondered what was going on when he suddenly called them out, but it was a picture. I was nervous and lost it. 


"And as for the numbers, they will change from time to time, but for the time being, Makishima will wear number 16 and Azaki will wear number 21. No complaints, right?" 


Azaki said he'd put 9 and 10 someday, but for me, I'm more comfortable with 16 or so because I'm not expected to be a bad player. 


To my relief, Azaki had a look of obvious dissatisfaction on his face. 


"Why is Makishima's number younger than mine?" 


Then, I say. 


"That's not important. You just got moved up to A, so don't complain." 


"No, Yutaro Makishima. It does matter." 


The manager stands in front of us as he says this and sticks his right hand in Azaki's hair, making his straggly tenpa hair even more wispy. 


"The youth of the number is the height of expectations, of course you can think so." 


"So you mean to say that the manager expects more from Makishima than from me?" 


"Yes."


The manager is...... more interested in me than Azaki? 


It's hard to believe at first, but I heard that Murazaki is a motivational manager, and he may have meant to blast Azaki. 


"Seiichi Azaki. I'll tell you first, this is not your team, it's mine. That's why I'm not going to put you at the center of it." 


Saying this matter-of-factly, the director removes his hand from Azaki's hair. 


"If you still want to win a starting position, then seriously face soccer." 


"I'll do it even if you don't...... tell me. I made a promise to this guy, to Makishima. I will do whatever it takes to make Makishima an ace." 


Azaki stepped forward and faced the manager. 


"So, before we take the picture, can I have a word?" 


"Huh?" 


Azaki reaches up to his head and grabs a handful of his hair. 


What the hell is this guy doing......? 


"Seiichi Azaki? What are you doing?" 


As soon as Azaki lowered his hand, his shaggy hair fell to the floor as if by magic. 


I've rolled my head. 


Azaki's head was now a beautifully shaved head, and he looked like just another high school ball player. 


"Azaki, how did you get such a head...... temper?!" 


"Isn't it normal to cut your hair when you get your heart broken?" 


But you can't go to extremes! 


Mangager Murazaki watched us talking with a straight face. 


Don't tell me that the manager touched his hair earlier because he was aware that Azaki had a wig? 


If so, it would have been a great insight in many ways. 


"Seiichi Azaki." 


"Yes." 


"Teach me how to make that wig next time." 


Oh, probably not. 



PREV | NEXT