Chapter 11: After-School Fun


TL: Akabane


***


The place where I attend, Owashi High School, is not a prosperous place.


This is because it's in the middle of a general residential area with a high concentration of single-family homes with few buildings over four stories around.


There are no major roads nearby, so there are very few restaurants or convenience stores, and if there are, they are small, self-operated cafes and bakeries like "Logie".


Therefore, when students at my school go out after school, they always take the bus to Owashi station, which is about 15 minutes away.


Well, I don't have any friends at my high school.


Owashi Station is dotted with famous hotels, two three-story shopping malls, and several recreational facilities such as karaoke and bowling alleys.


In addition, it's served by three train lines, making it the most prosperous station in the area.


Most of the students at my school commute to school by bus or bicycle from this station, and I am one of them.


And right now, I was on my way to Owashi station to go home as usual.


However, there are two things that are different from usual.


One is that I didn't take the bus.


The buses from the school to the station depart every 10 minutes due to the large number of passengers.


The buses aren't that crowded on the way back to the station, so I basically use them, but today, I am walking to the station for some reason.


The distance is 1.5 km. It takes about 20 minutes.


It's a distance that makes me feel a bit uncomfortable because I don't get enough exercise.


However, something has happened that makes me doesn't care about such a thing.


The second thing is that I am not back home alone.


Right now, there is a beautiful girl walking next to me with a fluttering brown wolf cut.


It's Yuki, who has been getting involved with me a lot lately.


She is walking next to me, looking down shyly and taking small steps.


I was walking at the same pace as her.


How did this happen?


I had been called by Miyako-sensei after school today, so I was a little late getting home.


It was around 17:30 when I passed through the school gate.


It wasn't that unusual for me to leave school at this time, as I sometimes leave school after reading too many light novels.


The problem was that after that, for some reason, Yuki was standing in front of the school gate.


At first I thought she was waiting for her friend, but then I realized she was waiting for me because she was staring at me.


I hadn't received a call from Yuki today, so I thought there was no reason for her to talk to me.


"......"


She looked at me without saying anything in particular.


I didn't know what to do.


At that moment, I heard the laughter of a group of girls behind me that I often hear in the classroom.


If they saw me and Yuki at a place like this, they must have looked at me strangely.


I thought I needed to get away from this situation as soon as possible, so I said, "Excuse me, I don't know what's going on, but I'll talk to you tomorrow!" and ran away.


With that momentum, I also passed the bus stop right in front of the school gate.


I felt very sorry for Yuki, but I had no choice for the purpose of spending my time as an "invisible man."


After running down a gentle downhill for about 200 meters from the school, I reached for the vending machine, gasping for air.


I gulped down the 500ml of water I had purchased, and soon it was half gone. It was my first hard run in a month, so I guess it was inevitable.


And the moment I closed the lid....


"Why! Why you're running away!"


I heard Yuki's disturbed and angry voice.


I looked at her, her hands in her knees, and her bangs, which should have been trimmed, in pieces.


It was enough to see how hurriedly she had come.


I didn't expect her to come after me, but when this happened, I couldn't run away any more.


"I'm sorry ......."


I then bought her an iced tea as an apology and we walked to the station together.


Fortunately, there were no students walking to the station at this time of the day, so I didn't have to worry too much about what people around me were thinking.


And now we are halfway to the station.


The town had changed from a residential area to a traditional shopping street lined with old buildings.


I passed a tobacco shop where I saw three ladies in their 60's chatting with each other.


Further back, an old man was taking a walk with his bush dog.


Seeing the dog, the school kid wearing yellow hats were happily gathering around.


The atmosphere of the shopping street was nostalgic.


Of course, I don't dislike this atmosphere.


It might be a good idea to take a walk for a change next time.


In contrast to me, who was thinking about this and looking around, Yuki next to me was just lying face down and blushing.


"......"


I don't know why she was running after me like that.


I don't know why she was at the school gate in the first place.


There are so many things I don't understand.


Is this part of the punishment game?


It's true that walking with someone like me is a punishment in itself.


I thought about it a lot, but I didn't talk to her.


Then....


"Um, Takarada-kun. In that park, would you like to sit down?"


Yuki points to a park right next to the sidewalk.


The park is surprisingly spacious, and it's a park where soccer can be played, which is rare these days, and I could see elementary school boys playing soccer after school.


A park, huh? Well, there don't seem to be any of our students around here, so I guess it's safe to assume it's just a regular café.


"Yes. Let's sit down there."


We sat down on a bench with seating for three people, where we could see the soccer game being played.


I thought that since there were three people who can sitting on the bench, so I would be able to get more distance than at the café, but for some reason, Yuki sat about a finger's length away.


I was at the end of the bench, so I couldn't get any further away from her.


Then, "Well," Yuki cut in.


"Is there anything you want to tell me? As a friend."


She doesn't look at me.


But I could tell by the way her hands were clutching her skirt that she was very nervous.


But I'm not hiding anything from Yuki.


I tried to wrap my head around it, but I couldn't think of anything.


"......Nothing in particular, I guess."


"......mm."


For some reason, she stared at me with a cute face.


"If you're going to be so evasive, I'll change the question. What were you doing after school today? With Godo-san!"


Yuki produced such a volume that some of the elementary school students playing soccer turned this way in surprise.


The elementary school team that reacted had scored a goal in the meantime.


Well, I was very surprised too.


Both the volume of her voice and the content of what she said.


It seems that she saw me meeting with Godo today.


It was probably just as I was leaving the third audiovisual room.


But is it really necessary to tell-san about it?


I decided to tell her the whole story despite my doubts.


"......I see. ...You're helping her out. I see."


Yuki didn't seem convinced, but reluctantly understood.


"But I want you to tell me these things. We are friends, you know. I'm worried that ...... you have a girlfriend."


I don't know about the market because I don't know what it's like to be friends with a girl, but I wonder if they talk about everything like that?


I'm sure it is because Yuki says so.


It's tough being friends with the opposite sex.


"I understand. I'll do my best to tell you. By the way, I can't get a girlfriend like this. I don't know what makes you uneasy."


"Really? Can you hear me? I wouldn't be sad if Takarada-kun got a girlfriend!"


Again, some of the elementary school kids turned their eyes to me.


That's why I said you're talking too loud. ......


"I'm sorry. Please don't be that angry."


"I'm not angry. I'm ...... and I think you can get a girlfriend, Takarada-kun. You're a good person ......"


I think I heard some irrelevant words, but I'll pretend not to hear them here.


"I'm glad you're not mad."


Yuki stopped talking and looked at me with a sideways glance.


She looks at me sideways, as if she is suspicious of me.


However, it soon changes to a demure look, as if she has just remembered something.


"Oh, and there's one more thing I wanted to talk to you about. ......"


"What is it?"


"Well, how about a picnic this Sunday!"


For the third time.


The elementary school students looked at us with annoyance.


...... A picnic? On Sunday?


"Um, can I try one more time?"


"Um, I want to go on a picnic with Takarada-kun. Ah, see, I'm a good cook!"


I'm don't understand.


It's okay if you're good at cooking, but why a picnic?


Besides...


"Well, Sunday?"


"Y-Yeah, we're friends, aren't we?"


Oh, if we're friends, it's normal to meet on holidays, right? That's the theory, isn't it?


I don't have many friends, so this is a feeling that I don't really understand.


Of course, there was only one answer I could give.


"I'm sorry, I just had some things to do at home on Sunday. ......"


This is my most precious sword.


But I forgot.


I forgot that she has a more powerful weapon than this clichéd treasure sword.


"......You're definitely lying about the errands at home, aren't you? If it's true, please do it on Saturday. If you still won't go, I'll talk to you at school, is that OK?"


Ah, it seems I am out of options.


Yuki is very pushy, despite appearances.


"......I understand. Let's go on Sunday."


"Yes! Let's go! Yay, yay......!"


Yuki muttered "Yay!" over and over again as if she was chewing on her joy.


Is it possible that if you go out with me on a holiday, you'll get some kind of money?


She was so happy that I doubted it.


"Well, then! That's it for today! I have something to do at the station, so I'm going home first!"


And then she stormed off.


I was going to the station, too.


Well, I wanted to be alone, so this was fine.


I watch the elementary school kids play soccer in a daze.


"Yuki, holiday, picnic ......"


I don't know what to do with this .......


***


[Yuki's POV]


I'm too happy!


My heart is still racing.


With Takarada, together, we're going to have a picnic .......


I have to make a lot of my favorite food!


A girl who can cook is a hit with the boys, isn't it?


I followed Takarada after school today, and the case of Godo, whom I saw, seemed to be fine.


If they were really in a romantic relationship, I'm sure my heart would have been torn out of my chest.


Just seeing the two of then together was enough to make my heart ache like it was going to burst.


After all, she was my first male friend, so he was special to me, that Takarada.


Anyway, let's think about the picnic now.


I wonder what Takarada likes?


Fried chicken? Hamburgers?


Ufufu, I'm looking forward to it.



PREV | NEXT