Chapter 13: Rendezvous


TL: Akabane


***


It's the day of the picnic with Yuki.


The current time is 10:30.


According to our agreement, we were supposed to meet in front of the spherical object, one of the meeting spots at Owashi station at 11:00, but I arrived at the meeting place 30 minutes early.


I was so nervous that I woke up at 6:00 today. Because I'm not wanting to stay at home, so I came early.


Of course, I don't think Yuki has arrived yet.


There are many people like us waiting in front of this object, so there is a possibility that he may not even be aware of our presence.


However, it's hard to believe that they wouldn't notice Yuki, who has such a strong presence, so I think that she probably hasn't arrived yet.


In Yuki's case, there is even a possibility that she is too late because she doesn't want to go.


But still, there are so many people in front of the station on Sunday.


I could always hear the trashy noise, and everywhere I looked, the sidewalks, the plaza in front of the station, and the escalators stretching for several lines at the entrance of the station, were filled with people.


I guess it's in my nature to stay at home on holidays.


As I gazed at the bustling streets in a daze, the time passed by rapidly.


There are only 10 minutes left until 11:00.


I felt the tension of Yuki's arrival, so I checked my clothes again.


Black skinnies and a white T-shirt with an unfamiliar brand logo on the chest. Everything was borrowed from my brother.


The only shoes I had on were a pair of simple black sneakers that I've been wearing for more than a year.


I can't deny that the overall impression is a bit plain, but I've solved that problem with my own mysterious theory that since I'm plain in the first place, there's no problem there.


And even if you compare my clothes with the clothes of many other people in front of the station, I think my clothes alone are normal. It's just that my face isn't good enough.


As I fidgeted around, worried about my appearance, I spotted one woman who clearly caught my attention.


"Ah! Takarada-kun!"


It's Yuki.


She was wearing a white beret, pink blouse and white skirt. Even I, who am not a fashion expert, thought she looked fashionable.


And what's more, her face, with a hint of makeup on it, looked more angelic and radiant than usual.


"Did I keep you waiting?"


She was lightly sweating, probably because she found me and ran.


Even the way she wiped her sweat with her handkerchief was classy.


"Oh, no, not at all."


As soon as I answered, I felt all the gazes around me turn to me at once.


They were looking at me with envy and anger in their eyes.


I had been so preoccupied with the fact that I was going out with Yuki that I had forgotten the risk of going out with her.


Yuki is a beautiful girl whom everyone recognizes.


To meet up with her alone on a holiday means that you will be looked at with envy by those around you.


Besides, this is the nearest station to the school.


There was a good chance that some of our students would be around.


This is not good.


If the people at school saw me here, tomorrow they would look at me and say, "Why is he doing this?" or "You should know your place."


I have to do something to stop that from happening. ......


I can't stay in this conspicuous meeting spot for now.


"I see. Good. I thought I was making you wait, Takarada-kun. ......"


"It's okay. Then, let's go quickly."


While I nervously held my hand without turning my face to Yuki, she opened her mouth as if she was troubled.


"Um ...... are you in a hurry?"


"Yes, something like that."


I really just want to get away from the stares around me as quickly as possible.


"Hmm, oh! Are you perhaps going to the bathroom or something? If so, I'll wait for you."


I realized when she told me that.


Surely that way, I could escape the stares of those around me, albeit temporarily, and plan for the future.


I'll gratefully take Yuki's suggestion.


"Actually, yes. Can I go to the restroom for a minute?"


"Yes! No problem! I'll wait for you!"


Her smiling face is really like a sunflower.


It's dazzlingly beautiful, and I can't help but squint at it guiltily.


"I'm sorry. I'll be right back."


Deliberately holding my lower abdomen, I ran into the restroom on the second floor of the shopping mall right next to our meeting spot.


It was Sunday, so I thought the restrooms might not be available, but at this time of the day, I was the only one who using them.


So, what should I do from here?


The first thing I wanted to do today was to make sure that the people at school didn't find out that I was going out alone with Yuki.


However, this is quite difficult.


Since many clubs at my high school are active even on Sundays, I'll never know when some students might be out playing after their club activities.


Besides, there is the possibility that they gather in front of the station on holidays to have fun.


If I want to keep this outing from being discovered, I believe I only two options.


The first is to cancel the plan.


I could give a suitable reason, such as I suddenly got sick or something happened to a relative, but looking at Yuki's face, she would be a little hesitant to do so.


The second is to use the "invincible mode."


Using this mode, they wouldn't be able to objectively recognize the fact that Gomi Takarada is playing with Yuki.


Therefore, I myself will not be affected.


However, I have to take the big risk of disclosing my "invincibility mode" to Yuki.


As I said before, I don't want anyone to find out about my "invincible mode", and I don't want it to affect my otaku activities in the future.


I'd be embarrassed to have Yuki see my true face.


I'm sure my friends would make fun of me.


So, it's almost impossible to keep the fact that I'm going out with Yuki from being discovered.


I'm at a complete loss for what to do.


I can't come up with any good ideas at all.


The only thing I can do is pray that the students at school don't find out.


...... I have no choice.


My goal of becoming "invisible" is a bit far away, but today, I have no choice but to work on the assumption that being found out is inevitable.


Fortunately, the park where we're having our picnic is on the opposite side of the street from the school, so it's unlikely that the school staff will find us there.


If we can keep our behavior in front of the station inconspicuous ...... it will be tough if Yuki is next to me.


If we meet at the park or something, it would still be better. ......?


I'm not sure what the point is of meeting in front of the train station and then going to the park by ourselves.


Well, it's okay if we get caught today.


Let's not think about anything else.


I got up from the toilet seat and left the private room.


The mirror on the sink where I washed my hands showed me that my face was still ugly, even with my glasses and bangs, but my clothes were normal thanks to my brother.


"I feel so heavy ......"


I left the bathroom with heavy steps.


I take the escalator down to the ground floor, looking past the food court, which is bustling with families having lunch at this hour.


Through the shopping mall, I found the spherical object that was the meeting spot.


And near it, as before, there were many people waiting.


However, the person I was looking for was still very easy to find.


There was one person who seemed to radiate light.


Just as I was about to head toward her place with slow steps.


--- "You're cute, isn't it? Are you a college student?"


--- "Seriously, she's cute!"


--- "Eh ...... I'm a high school student, but..."


Yuki was approached by two lanky men with blond hair. They were dressed flamboyantly and wore piercings.


They were violent and scary to look at.


I couldn't put my foot down any further.


Let me be honest. I was scared.


I've never been in a fight before, and I've never tangled with that type of person.


It's natural to be scared.


But I'm sure Yuki is more scared than I am.


"Heh, well, let's hang out with this brothers for a bit."


"I know lots of fun things to do!"


"Oh, no, please don't. There are people waiting for me."


She replied in an orderly manner, but her voice sounded a little shaky.


How nice it would be if I could help out in a cool way here.


But I can't.


I'm afraid of them.


Above all, I'm afraid of the stares from those around me.


Right now, everyone around me is keeping their distance from Yuki and the others, pretending they don't see them.


After all, this is how the world works.


I choose not to look at anything that doesn't concern me.


In such a situation, if I try to help her in a cool way, I will definitely be exposed to the stares of the people around me.


And if I get beaten up by blond men, they will wonder why I came out and think I'm stupid or hypocritical.


A long time ago, I saw a news story.


A high school student was beaten to a pulp and sent to the hospital when he warned people smoking on the train.


The most common public reaction to this news wasn't only praise for the high school student or criticism of the assailant, but a mockery for the high school student as well.


--- "Why did you bother to warn him?"


--- "You should have just left him alone."


--- "You shouldn't have warned him."


--- "You're an idiot."


After all, that's how the world works.


If you stand out, if you do something different from others, even if you are doing something right that others couldn't do, you will be pointed at behind your back.


That's why I can't help Yuki here.


I am afraid of the stares of those around me.


I really think I'm a helpless, irredeemable person.


"......"


Suddenly, my eyes met hers.


Her bright red eyes, as if they were about to overflow with tears at any moment.


Even in this situation, .......


I turned on my heel and went back into the mall.











[Yuki's POV]


"Oh...... Takarada-kun......."


"Oh, that's the person you were meeting up with? It was a guy."


"But he ran away, didn't he? He abandoned her."


Why, Takarada ......


I knew it. ......Every boys are like this. ......


I thought I could be friends with Takarada. ......


I don't get it.


I don't understand boys.


They talk to me so intimidatingly, they stare at me, and they don't help me even though we're ...... "friends".


"...... Idiot."


I was really looking forward to today's picnic.


The rice balls, egg rolls, pork cutlets, simmered dishes, and spinach salad all turned out delicious. ......


I don't need any more boys.


All I need is a female friend, and that's it.


"Well, now that you don't have any more plans, why don't you come hang out with us?"


"Come on, let's go."


A blonde man grabs my wrist.


My whole body trembles.


I can't speak, but I'm scared.


I'm really scared.


"Isn't that a bit much?"


"Eh?"


It was at that moment.


One person put his body between me and the blond men.


"...... Ah."


He looked familiar, the handsome man who had saved me that time.


There was Takarada with his bangs up like a backup and his glasses off.


"What the hell are you?"


"I'm the one who's meeting up with her."


"...... Damn, what's with the face after all ......?"


"You don't want to pull out?"


"Yeah."


The blonde men left the place as if they gave up when they saw Takarada's face.


They seemed to pull away sooner than expected because of his appearance.


But I don't care about that.


I was so happy that he had come to save me.


After all, Takarada is my "friend."


We can be together from now on.


"...... Oh, sorry. I'm sorry I suddenly said I was meeting up with you. I was just kidding. So, I'll leave you alone now."


He doesn't look at me, he's whispering something, but I ignore it.


Anyway, I decided to take my joy out on him.


"Thank you, Takarada-kun! For saving me!"


"...... Ha?"


But he froze and wouldn't move.


"...... Takarada? Who are you talking about?"


"Heeeeeeeee?!"



PREV | NEXT