Chapter 3: Going-Out Operation


TL: Akabane


***


The day after Yuki called me out.


I was eating lunch alone in the corner of the classroom as usual.


Yesterday was a tough day.


As soon as I returned to the classroom after my talk with Yuki, I was surrounded by the core group of boys in the class, and they asked me about Yuki with their sharp eyes.


I still cannot forget the uncanny look on their faces.


It was as if they were fans when their favorite idol got married, with a look of sadness and anger on their faces.


Yuki, who has such ardent fans(?) I once again thought it was amazing that she has such a passionate fan base.


At the same time, I still felt strongly that I did not want to be involved as an "invisible man."


When I told the boys that nothing had happened with Yuki, they looked at me quizzically, as if they didn't believe me. But they nodded in agreement.


They seemed to know that I wasn't a match for Yuki.


After that, the rest of my classmates seemed to lose interest in me, and the bustle of the classroom returned as usual.


That was yesterday.


I can only say that my recovery skills are excellent.


My "invisible man" position was now safe and sound, as it should have been. ......


I looked at my phone and froze.


There were still three pieces of fried chicken left in my lunch box, but I didn't feel like eating any of them.


Now I had a rare message on my phone.


It wasn't a message from an official account.


It was from personal account.


The account's icon was a picture of a cute Shiba Inu.


The registered name of the account was "Yuki Hana."


This is the account of Hana Yuki, who is a well-known person in our school.


I just received a message from her.


I can't get my head around that fact.


Sure, I exchanged contact information with Yuki yesterday, and there is nothing strange about receiving a message from her.


If anything, last night I was dreading the possibility that I might get a call from her.


That's right.


As someone who aspires to be "invisible," Yuki is one of the top three people I don't want to get involved with.


If she were to contact me, I would be in a bind.


However, in the end, I didn't hear anything from Yuki yesterday.


I was very relieved.


And for some reason, I had assumed that since she didn't contact me on the day we exchanged contact information, there was no way she would contact me again in the future.


That is why I could hardly believe the message I saw on my phone.


What should I do?


For a moment, I thought about ignoring it, but then I realized that I would be in trouble if I was stormed into the classroom again as a result.


I had convinced the boys the first time, but the second time would be suspicious.


So, with trembling fingers, I open the chat screen with her.


[Takarada-kun! I'm sorry I said something weird to you yesterday! So, to make up for it, I'd like to treat you to my favorite cake shop near the school, are you free after school today?]


After this message, I received a stamp of a girl with her face half peeking out at me from a telephone pole.


What a surprise, it was an invitation from that Yuki for an after-school date.


An apology for yesterday's incident, huh?


Yuki seems to be as polite as I imagined.


I can't believe she would be so considerate to such a lowly student.


I'm very happy that she invited me, but to be honest, I don't want to go.


As I said before, I don't want anything to do with her.


But, the way you decline is important.


If I refuse her in a casual manner, my reputation will be damaged and I will look bad.


Here is a very natural .......


[I'm sorry, but I have other plans today. And I don't care about yesterday's incident, so there is no need to apologize. Please go with your friends, not me.]


I'm not lying, as I have a full schedule of going straight home today to laze around and watch anime.


As soon as I sent the message, it was read.


I'm kind of nervous .......


The fried chicken on my desk seemed to be slightly wrinkled.


The bottle of water I had just purchased from the vending machine had cold drops on it, as if I was nervous.


I took a sip of the water.


Still no reply from Yuki.


Maybe she is complaining to her female friends about my poor reply or something.


What should I do if that's the case?


It would definitely make me look bad. ......


I couldn't look at my phone anymore.


For a change, I went to the toilet without my phone.


The reason why I was going slower than usual was because I wanted to read Yuki's message as much as possible afterwards.


Eventually, I made my way to the toilet at the back of the school building.


It was the first time I had come here during lunch break, and there were no people there at all. It was a quiet place.


I thought that maybe I could have lunch here next time, but I soon decided against it since there were no benches or anything.


Then, I arrived at the classroom 5 minutes before the start of my fifth period class.


Chihaya next to me said, "You went somewhere, that's unusual," but I couldn't say it was because of Yuki's message.


I wondered if the message had arrived.


My heart was pounding louder than usual.


I opened my phone and saw that I had received a message from an account called "Yuki Hana."


And it was....


[You can't make it today. Understood! Then, how about tomorrow's schedule? Or any day next week when you're free?]


The reply completely ignored my message.



 


***



 


[Yuki's POV]


Takarada seems to be very servile.


He is so handsome, but he is completely unaware of his good looks.


The unidentified handsome man who is rumored at school is Takarada, but he doesn't realize it.


But that was interesting.


Until now, I had just thought he had beautiful eyes and had no desire to talk to him, but after talking to him directly yesterday, I felt like I wanted to talk to him more.


I wanted to get to know him better.


I don't think it was love at all, but I felt like I wanted to be friends with him.


So anyway, we exchanged contact information.


But I have never been friends with a boy before, and I have no idea how to approach him.


What should I do?


"Haa."


"Heh? What's wrong with you, Hana? Why are you sighing?"


"Ah, no, it's nothing."


The one who called out to me was my best friend, Ao Miyuki.


We always have lunch together.


"Could it be about Takarada-kun yesterday?"


Ao knows that I am interested in Takarada.


When I first saw him in the hallway, it was Ao who checked on him.


"...... That's right."


Ao seems to know everything about me.


"Well, Takarada-kun is interesting, and I've been thinking that I'd like to get to know him a little better. ......"


As soon as I said that, I felt my face heat up.


I'm not sure if it's weird to be friends with a boy after all. It's kind of embarrassing. ......


"......Hoh. Hohoho."


Ao's face looks like she's been hit with a peashooter.


"Finally, even Hana has a ......."


"Hmm? What did you say? Ao-chan."


"No, it's nothing. Anyway, we exchanged contact information, right?"


"Yes."


"Then, let's ask him out on a date."


"A date?! ...... Ah, sorry."


I let out a loud voice and feel the eyes of the whole class.


I sit down in my seat, hiding my face.


"Wait, wait, Ao, what do you mean? What do you mean, a date?"


"So, if you want to get to know each other better, you two have to go out together, right?"


"Going out together doesn't mean we're dating, right? Ao-chan and I do it a lot too, don't we? A date is usually between lovers, right? I want to be friends with Takarada-kun, so..."


"Okay, okay. Let's calm down for a moment, Hana."


Oh, I was talking too fast just now.


"I'm sorry, I was talking too fast.


"It's okay. Hana is still inexperienced. Then, why don't you two go out together instead of going on a date? Like you do with me."


"Going out together. Sure, that's fine, but ...... how do I ask him to go out?"


"Why don't you just say you'd like to get to know each other?"


"I'm too embarrassed to do that."


Besides, given his sneer, there was a chance he'd be prying needlessly.


"It's okay to be honest. Then, just give a good reason. That's right... it's common to apologize to him and buy him something."


"Apology ...... that sounds like a good idea!"


Yesterday, I mistook Takarada for someone else.


But I'm not ...... wrong.


It would be natural, I think, if it took the form of an apology for that reason.


"Oh, well, I'll get back to you as soon as I can."


"Yes, yes."


I open my chat screen with him.


His icon is a picture of a cloudy sky.


I want to ask him why he chose this icon.





3 minutes later.


"I sent him a message."


"Oh, you're early."


"I can't be bothered with these things!"


"As expected. Well then, until you get a reply, can you listen to my complaints?"


Then, the bitching contest started with the story about Ao's boyfriend from another school that she has been dating since junior high school.


Ao tends to be seen as a bit of a savvy girl, but she loves her boyfriend and often finds that her complaining has turned into a love affair.


I usually listen to her with admiration, wondering that love is like that, but today I just couldn't get into the conversation at all.


I couldn't help but be curious about Takarada's reply.


I wasn't so nervous before I sent it, so why am I so nervous now?


I glanced at the chat screen and saw that it had already been read.


Ah, he's looking at my message.


What did you think? Isn't that weird?


If you happy, even just a little, I'll be happy too. ......


Various feelings were getting mixed up.


But I didn't hate myself like that.


Then, a few minutes later, I got a reply from him.


[I'm sorry. I have other plans for today. And I don't care about what happened yesterday, so there is no need for you to apologize. Please go with your friends, not me.]


.......


He politely and firmly refused.


My heart ached.


I don't think Takarada is interested in me. ......


"What's wrong, Hana? What's wrong with your complexion?"


"...... I was turned down by Takarada-kun."


"What? No way, let me see your screen."


Ao looks at my phone with a panicked look on her face.


"Haa~ I didn't think there was a man in this world who would refuse Hana's invitation. This guy must be an idiot."


"No, no, I'm sure Takarada-kun isn't interested in me."


"Of course not. All guys will fall in love with Hana. Anyway, you can't give up like this. You have to go for it."


"But, but ...... I'm already..."


"Don't worry! You've always wanted to be friends with a boy, haven't you? Then, let's try harder."


Ao was right, I didn't want to give up yet.


I was very sad that he turned me down, but I still wanted to talk to Takarada just one more time.


"If you can't push, then push harder. It's important to have this mindset when it comes to getting a guy down. That's how I went with my current boyfriend."


Oh, that sounds amazing.


"But I'm not trying to get Takarada-kun down. I just want to be friends with him."


"...... Oh, that's right. Well, anyway, just give it another shot. Ignore the second half of the sentence, ignore it."


"Uh-huh."


Then, I sent him another message.


And just before the end of my lunch break.


[Okay. Then, let's go to the cafe together. I'm sorry to change my mind again, but I have an after-school schedule open today, so can we do it today? Also, preferably the store should be far away from the school.]


I received such a message from him.


I felt my heart clear up instantly.


Finally, Takarada and I can go out together.


"Hehe."


The corners of my mouth involuntarily turned up.


Going out with Takarada.......


We talked at a café together. After that, I even asked him to take me home, and then we went to .......


I'm starting to feel my heart pounding.


I was thinking too much about Takarada and couldn't concentrate on my afternoon classes.



PREV | NEXT